• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sep 17, 2008
    Most dealers here in MD understand that they have us by the balls when it comes to handgun purchases. They jack up their prices knowing we cannot go out of state to purchase handguns. In the metro areas prices are going to be high anyway, but when I comare prices I see in Winchester VA to prices I see here, it is obvious we are getting screwed.

I know that there has to be some honest MD dealers out there. I know there are people out there that will defend their dealers no matter what they charge. I am not interested in their response to this post. I just want the name of some resonabaly priced handgun dealers in MD.

Please give the name of the dealer and an example of what new handgun you purchased and at what price.

The responses to this post should help all us MD shooters, and hopefully stimulate a little competition in the MD handgun retail business.

-John

P.S. After this I will make another post asking who can "cartridge test" a handgun in MD

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I do not know who has the best handgun prices, but I can help somewhat.....get a C&R FFL and you can completely circumvent MD dealers for C&R handguns.

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    Gun Connection and Continental Arms have had the best prices on guns I've bought in the last year or so. I love On Target, but their prices aren't the best. Keep in mind that cash, research and a good attitude can get you a much better deal just about anywhere.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its a tough one I have found good deals at a variety of dealers, usually depends what they got the gun for originally and their margin. Olders stock being priced better than newer, also watch concessions for used guns.

Atlantic Rockville/Silver Spring: Generally overpriced but good to work with on new and used. Better on orders than most dealers. Really good layaway terms.

Gun Rack Burtonsville: Reasonable to dramatically overpriced, ok to work with. If they have what you want they are good if they have to order it price will likely be much more than MSRP.

Engage Armament Kensington: Dont have a whole lot of experiences, prices seem ok (more than PA of course). Very easy terms to deal with, will see when I am done with my current transaction. Engage also does cartridge testing, my understanding is that they do it for Gun Rack and other local dealers. Very amicable on this point.

Bass Pro: Better prices than many but little pricey. Dont expect mircles with the staff. Some are awesome some are cabbage brained.

Gun Connection: Well reviewed, to far away for most of my regulated arms business but people seem to love em.

B

bluecollarkid

+50 for GC (Gun Connection for you newbies); and, as requested by the OP, purchased a new XD from Dan for $580 something, which included tax and an in-line lock and transfer fee. It was a fair price and the best in the Baltimore Metropolitan area (a.k.a Central Maryland). :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    Gun Connection :thumbsup: I live 5 minutes from DE and have done some purchases and transfers to MD. I have found that i might as well just buy in MD after i pay transfer and add a few more days to the wait. Most of the time really good buys have been on used guns but that is all luck, being right place right time.

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    A lot of big placed have horrible prices. They may have a sale or too, but their attitude is that they are the big dog and people will come to their store and pay what they want.

Small places with a professional owner are good and have competitive prices. You can also talk the owners for other deals.

Dan at Gun Connection is good and I like all the small store better than the big stores.

I also hate all the dumb ****s and fake gangsters at places like bass pro. When I go to a small store they can just kick those people out, not let them in and most of the time they don't even show up there.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    gun connection: dan is like if your high school buddy opened a gun shop to hook you up....basically he's ure gun connection. you'll get excellent customer service. his prices are very good. he has refused to price gouge on things like most other dealers just on principle. if you're interested something PM "gunconnection" on this board and he'll respond very quickly with price/availability.

basspro: I work there occasionally so i have first-hand knowledge on their staff, inventory and prices. it's a box store. they run good sales from time to time(the big one is the hunting classic in aug.) and are reasonable depending on which gun you get. you'll sacrifice customer service for better prices on some guns. they only really deal with new guns so you wont find good used guns for cheap. also they dont deal with EBR's so only fudd rifles. it's hit or miss with the staff and u'll probably wait longer than you'd like. if you already know what you want and dont mind someone behind the counter trying to push some sales on you(just tell them to shutup...that usuallly works) then it's a decent option. i buy from dan or continental to support the local guys and they've been very loyal with customer service to me so i'll be loyal to them in return.

continental: Good guys. if you buy from them, you can shoot it at their range while waiting for the paperwork to clear. they typically have good prices. at the timonium show they beat everyone else on every pistol i saw(50 bucks cheaper than everyone else on the bersa thunders) speak to gibby, jeepdriver or adodson on the board for more info from them.

justguns: this store will get mixed reviews. they give rough customer service but once you figure them out, they're good guys. they typically have great prices and selection on milsurp stuff. i got my cz-52 from them. it's mad sketchy to say the least walking out of the store with a new purchase though. annnd just get a c&r license and you can just get the milsurp stuff cheaper and mailed straight to you.

that's essentially my gun purchasing experience so far in md...i'm still young and new to this. the armory in annapolis and on target are pricey. i dont buy from them. alucard has found some nice used pistols from on target though for reasonable prices.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    I am with most the guys here. I have never tried Continental though, so I cannot comment on that. The only store that ALWAYS seems to have better than most prices is Gun Connection. I have bought from a variety of stores though, and I seem to get lucky and find deals at my favorite shops which aren't necessarily known for good prices, on the exact firearm I want, at the time I want it. For instance, I picked up a .40 Beretta PX4 (brand new) from a store mentioned in this thread as not known for good prices, for ~$520 out the door. Same store just sold me an XD for $590 out the door. Another store mentioned in this thread as "decent" prices, sold me a Henry for $75 under every where else I went. Yet another mentioned above sold me a Saiga that no one else had for $100 less than everywhere I called. You get the picture.

My point is that, In my limited experience, no store other than Gun Connection has the best prices all the time. Every time I have asked for a price check on something I couldn't afford, his price was as good or better than the best I had seen. The only other option is to go around to a couple different stores on your day off. I have noticed that "phone prices" are usually a lot different than "at the store" prices, and I have NEVER haggled in a gun store. Every store I have been in I have always felt like I was under a microscope (except after 10 minutes of being in GC :) ) so I have always felt a little odd about haggling prices. Again, I have never been to Continental even though it is close-ish, so I cannot comment about them. If you don't feel like shopping, I would say those two are your best bet.

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    It's just like buying a car. The more you know going in the better off you will be walking out. Talk to a few dealers and see who is going to work with you. Some places have outstanding reputations for fairness and great customer service. Gunconnection has a loyal following here. I know from personal experience that it is well deserved.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Clayton Otto in Glen Burnie will always treat you right. His prices even beat Dan&GC but Dan does carry more inventory and has better hours.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Most dealers here in MD understand that they have us by the balls when it comes to handgun purchases. They jack up their prices knowing we cannot go out of state to purchase handguns.

I believe it is Federal law and not MD State law that prohibits you from buying out of state.

P.S. After this I will make another post asking who can "cartridge test" a handgun in MD

Cosica Coatings and carryaglock can do that. There may be another person as well.

rli1973

Dec 2, 2008
    Baltimore
    I do not Know about shops in Va. The prices I see in local shops are not that much different than online prices. With the cost of FFL and shipping I actually made out on my last purchase by buying locally. I haven't made it yet to Continental or Gun Connection yet, and that will be my next trip. But the shops in AA county seem to have a good inventory and reasonable prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom