• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    With all the new permit holders who is or is planning to carry their sidearm with a laser, light or combo?

I thought this would be a good discussion on the pros and cons, opinions on set ups, or just a general thoughts.

I'm planning on at least starting with a RIA commander sized 1911 with Crimson trace grips.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Been carrying a single stack 9 with no rail since before the wonder 9's. Thinking about P365 with stream light because it's smaller and lighter than the Walther. Not really convinced myself that it's important.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Situationally dependent, like most tool choices. Obviously a subcompact auto or baby revolver with no rail is harder to put a light on (and find a light bearing holster for) so a handheld light and practice using an appropriate firing grip would be in order. If OWB carrying a duty size pistol, I would likely be mounting one of my TLR1HL lights. Light employment is a whole subject all it's own but the short answer from me is that it is value added if situation and wardrobe permit it.

I don't much care for visible light spectrum lasers but fully understand those who have visual impairment or physical disability that makes conventional sights difficult or impossible to use. If you are in one of these categories, crimson trace is probably the best option as they typically do not require you to get custom holsters.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    The only thing I’m doing is upgrading sights if I don’t like the factory ones. I seem to gravitate toward Tru Glo. They aren’t cheap, but for a good gun with crappy sights (like the P-365) they are a game changer.

However, I’ve found myself carrying a 38 revolver (Taurus 856) more often lately. Call me a Fudd, but there’s just something to be said about a wheel gun in a leather IWB holster.

EDIT: I also have a Glock 26 and I put the LaserMax guide rod laser in it - it’s a nice combination because it doesn’t require a different holster, but it is a little pricey.

Middleman

Sep 25, 2020
    Smith ez with Romeo 0 no light attached. But I carry a flash light and pepper spray as well. Personally I don’t wat to point my gun at someone because I need to use the light

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Situationally dependent, like most tool choices. Obviously a subcompact auto or baby revolver with no rail is harder to put a light on (and find a light bearing holster for) so a handheld light and practice using an appropriate firing grip would be in order. If OWB carrying a duty size pistol, I would likely be mounting one of my TLR1HL lights. Light employment is a whole subject all it's own but the short answer from me is that it is value added if situation and wardrobe permit it.

I don't much care for visible light spectrum lasers but fully understand those who have visual impairment or physical disability that makes conventional sights difficult or impossible to use. If you are in one of these categories, crimson trace is probably the best option as they typically do not require you to get custom holsters.
    I’ve had CT lasergrips on an SP101 and an LCP- ended up taking off the SP but still ride on the LCP. Everything else just night sights for me. I’ve done lights on some IWB CCW’s and found them difficult to get comfortable wearing as opposed to without but my methods are to be 100% undetectable with no printing. good accessibility, and ability to move around normally.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Smith ez with Romeo 0 no light attached. But I carry a flash light and pepper spray as well. Personally I don’t wat to point my gun at someone because I need to use the light
    If you have your gun out and need to nav or id, use the band of "dirty light" around the hot center. Muzzle remains off the unknown until you PID.

Until it's go time, a handheld should be the nav choice anyway.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I’ve had CT lasergrips on an SP101 and an LCP- ended up taking off the SP but still ride on the LCP. Everything else just night sights for me. I’ve done lights on some IWB CCW’s and found them difficult to get comfortable wearing as opposed to without but my methods are to be 100% undetectable with no printing. good accessibility, and ability to move around normally.
    Yep. My j frame isn't ever getting anything added to it. I just recognize the limitations. And clip a handheld light in a pocket if going out at night. I tried a glock 19 iwb with a light. Not comfortable so it stays in an ALS OWB if it's going out. May try an IWB again sometime but definitely a different one.

Not really carry specific but when I shot a no-light pistol match I freely admit to gaming it with a full size 1911 with full rail and TLR1. Huge advantage over a more practical setup but not something I'd like to haul around inside the waistband.

LoneWolf123

MDS Supporter
    Jul 17, 2022
    Maryland
    I was rocking an red dot optic for the first month. Once the battery died and I realized I had to re-zero the thing, I went back to iron sites.

Thought about putting a light/lazer combo on it but don’t feel like spending more money on a new holster.

My winter carry has a light/lazer but only because it’s been old faithful for home defense. I ordered the holster in the proper configuration to support it from the get go.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I was rocking an red dot optic for the first month. Once the battery died and I realized I had to re-zero the thing, I went back to iron sites.

Thought about putting a light/lazer combo on it but don’t feel like spending more money on a new holster.

My winter carry has a light/lazer but only because it’s been old faithful for home defense. I ordered the holster in the proper configuration to support it from the get go.
    I've not mounted a red dot on a gun I would think of carrying yet but I am strongly considering one of the models which allows you to access the battery without removing a remounting it.

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tritium night sights are the way to go. You don't have to worry about batteries.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    This is my opinion and feel after a bit of carrying (since 2013) less is better and you will tire of all the gadgets , because carrying all that stuff on body is a pain in more ways than one.

If you are going full out than a man-purse would work, there is a thread on that type of carry as well. I say KISS

LoneWolf123

MDS Supporter
    Jul 17, 2022
    Maryland
    I've not mounted a red dot on a gun I would think of carrying yet but I am strongly considering one of the models which allows you to access the battery without removing a remounting it.
    Already decided next time I try, I’m going with one like that.

The hellcat came with one so I used it. First pistol I have ever used a optic on it.

I figure my next pistol will have one and once I’m more comfortable with the idea I’ll buy a one for the carry guns.

strapped

Aug 27, 2012
    Carroll County
    I carry with an optic and light in a crossbreed IWB.

Attachments

• 4E5E0922-29DA-4399-B62D-A3F49EBC89C2.jpeg
      4E5E0922-29DA-4399-B62D-A3F49EBC89C2.jpeg
      357.3 KB · Views: 58

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    This is something I learned in the 16 hour class, even if it wasn't taught. If I have to pull it out for defensive use, I'm probably not going to turn on and aim with the laser. I'd expect to pull it out (the pistol) and immediately shoot or not.

The TLR-6 is off of the Glock 43.

md77

Aug 17, 2022
    MoCo
    Tritium night sights are the way to go. You don't have to worry about batteries.
    Tritium sights let you see your sights, flashlights let you see your target. Take yourself out of the dark alley and put yourself in the stairway of your dark house (I know you didn't turn the lights on when you heard that sound, why lose your advantage.) Kid from next door is drunk and walked into the wrong house and is stumbling around your entryway because someone moved all the furniture. Turns toward you with something in his hand....

Do you want to see your sights or your target (which incidentally let's you see your sights.) I am sure a lot are thinking it's his fault, he shouldn't have been drunk, come into my house, etc. The reality is still going to hit you. Lawsuit and guilt is a rough combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom