• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    Is the muzzle device that comes on the gun a flash hider or a muzzle break?

If a flash hider, would this gun be MD compliant if a dealer substituted the flash hider with a compensator or muzzle break?

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    It comes stock with a device that's really both a comp and a brake, which also has some minimal FH capability.

If swapped out for a true brake or comp, yes it'd then pass the copycat test.

Feb 28, 2013
    Problem is, any device that hides flash, even if it's not advertised to do so, is technically considered a "flash hider".

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    Problem is, any device that hides flash, even if it's not advertised to do so, is technically considered a "flash hider".

That is true.

Here is MD's definition:
    (G) “FLASH SUPPRESSOR” MEANS A DEVICE THAT FUNCTIONS, OR IS
    13 INTENDED TO FUNCTION, TO PERCEPTIBLY REDUCE OR REDIRECT MUZZLE
    14 FLASH FROM THE SHOOTER’S FIELD OF VISION.

Having fired the SCAR 17 at dusk with the factory brake installed and removed, I can honestly say that the brake does not minimize the flash or redirect it from my field of vision- if anything, the report and flash were more perceptible with the brake installed, at least from the shooter's POV. I'm pretty certain that I don't have an abnormally large field of vision...

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010

What's worse is that PWS, who manufactures the brake on the SCAR17, advertises it as having "flash suppression with muzzle control." right on their website.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Just make sure you get a break or a comp that adds more flash than a bare muzzle. They do exist.

Although, in my personal opinion, I think you will be okay with anything not advertised as a flash suppressor.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    What's worse is that PWS, who manufactures the brake on the SCAR17, advertises it as having "flash suppression with muzzle control." right on their website.
    This is the real problem - they advertised it as a "Flash Suppressing Compensator" (hence, FSC556). *sigh*

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    This is the real problem - they advertised it as a "Flash Suppressing Compensator" (hence, FSC556). *sigh*

I hadn't noticed that. FN advertises it as a compensator.
    There is an easy solution though- remove muzzle device, add thread protector, sell gun.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Here is the ATF determination letter saying it is not a flash hider.:)

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/images/FSC556_web.pdf

It seems to ultimately depend on what the final interpretive definition of “or is intended to function” will be.

If “intended” is seen by MD as quantifiable then yes, that seems to be a nod towards ATF. If MD decides “intended” is more subjective (i.e. - advertised as, etc) then I suppose it’d be a FH, absent a lawsuit or negotiation.

reidpath

Jun 10, 2014
    It seems to ultimately depend on what the final interpretive definition of “or is intended to function” will be.

I can't see much intent to have this device function as a "Flash Suppressor" seeing how they specifically sent them to FTB for an evaluation to confirm they "do not suppress flash, flame...of any kind".

That is despite the fact FTB says that is what it is for in the second paragraph.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    What you’re saying is entirely reasonable but law isn’t really interpreted by commonsense.

I’m not claiming what it should really be. Just pointing out the ambiguity lies in “intended”.

If ultimately MD decides that advertising it as one (which PWS still does, almost 7 years after that letter) meets the criteria of a FH, then ATF’s evaluation is secondary.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    No need to hold your breath. MD FFLs don't seem to sell it with the factory comp, so it’s already the de facto interpretation (unless challenged at some point).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom