• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I have handled Mosquito's in the past, but just recently tried one with one of my MCG SP1 suppressors. Oh my is that thing quiet! I have shot my suppressors on a number of host weapons, including various rifles including one bolt action. For some reason the skeeter just seems quieter then any other host, even the bolt gun. All you really hear is a light tinging sound from the slide. My question is, has everyone else experienced this noticable difference in suppression with the skeeter, or does it just really like my suppressor for some reason? I tried it with a couple suppressors, and then tried those same suppressors back and forth between it and my P22. I should also note that the P22 gives a first round pop, where the skeeter doesn't. I am just trying to make sense of why such a difference. And yes, I have a new favorite suppressor host ;)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You could get a Ruger MK I, II, or III and install a custom slide lock.

Theres a company that used to make them but now its a custom fab part.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I know this one misfed a couple, and failed to slide lock once. Ofcourse it was 40gr subsonic, and the gun was brand new just out of the box... I am thinking the more mass on the slide and heavier recoil spring may be part of the suppression issue, taking away breech noise by delaying the case extraction until after pressure is down. But I don't get why the difference in first round pop and what seems to be noticable difference in muzzle suppression compared to a bolt rifle.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    When I hadmy Mosquito I never noticed a difference between it and my Ruger/PacLite host gun.

I wish I still had it so I could compare it against the P226 conversion.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I have been thinking about picking up a 226 in 22lr myself, maybe after the holidays. I think that would be an awsome package. I am thinking some time in the coming months of getting some TAC65s and some Outbacks in stock. I have compared the TAC65 and Stratus to my SP1, and they seem to suppress equally. Now I want to compare to the Outback as well.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I have been thinking about picking up a 226 in 22lr myself, maybe after the holidays. I think that would be an awesome package. I am thinking some time in the coming months of getting some TAC65s and some Outbacks in stock. I have compared the TAC65 and Stratus to my SP1, and they seem to suppress equally. Now I want to compare to the Outback as well.

I'm waiting on my Form 4 for a Tactical Innovations Quest, hopefully it will be in soon.

We are working on having a silencer shoot in the spring. Once we get the details worked out I will let you know and hopefully you can bring up some samples.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I'm waiting on my Form 4 for a Tactical Innovations Quest, hopefully it will be in soon.

We are working on having a silencer shoot in the spring. Once we get the details worked out I will let you know and hopefully you can bring up some samples.

Definitely keep me posted. :party29:

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I really like the idea of a local silencer shoot. I will try extra hard to make it.

I had a P22, Mosquito and P226 conversion at the same time. Suppressor was an AAC Pilot.

What I thought about my hosts:

P22 seemed quitest, then Mosquito and with P226 making the most noise (still pretty damn quiet). None are as quiet as my CZ 452 bolt gun, as expected.

Strangely, I liked them in the reverse order.

I run that can on a GSG-5 PK also which is easily the most noisey of my .22lr hosts.

P22 and Mosquito really like a suppressor. They just work better with a can on the barrel.

I like the P226 conversion, but it sprays crap in my face so shooting requires glasses. It would be perfect with a steel (heavier) slide and no sprayback.

My dream .22lr pistol host would be one of those beat up Colt ACE pistols from boot camp threaded for a can, if it would kick like a .45 (or like the ACE mimics a .45), be quiet as a mouse fart, run clean, accurate and reliable with bulk box ammo and not spray anything back in my face. While I am dreaming, it would have a reliable double stack 20 round mag that fits flush in the govt. frame.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    When I hadmy Mosquito I never noticed a difference between it and my Ruger/PacLite host gun.

Let me know and I will let you come visit it...:D

If you want to setup a get together to try something out let me know. I am willing to drive there or have you over for some 22 supressor shooting.

I use my 22Sparrow from Silencerco on my skeeter. I have tried Winchester and Remeington subsonic on it. The Winchester wont cycle the action but it is quieter. the Remeington works well but sounds like a paintball gun when shooting.

I want to try CCI and Fiocchi subsonic ammo to see what works best overall.

Dave

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    A suppressed Mosquito is on my short list for this year's purchases. If all goes well and my wife gets her job when she gets out of school in June and I don't get laid off, hopefully sometime in the fall I'll start the paperwork. I'm sure I"ll be asking a lot more questions when the time comes.

Like this one:

Can I purchase and use a Sig Mosquito while my Title 2 paperwork is being processed?

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    A suppressed Mosquito is on my short list for this year's purchases. If all goes well and my wife gets her job when she gets out of school in June and I don't get laid off, hopefully sometime in the fall I'll start the paperwork. I'm sure I"ll be asking a lot more questions when the time comes.

Like this one:

Can I purchase and use a Sig Mosquito while my Title 2 paperwork is being processed?

Yeah, they are two different transactions. The Skeeter is just like any other handgun, just make sure you buy the threaded barrel one.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.

Jeep you are more than welcome to shoot mine if you want to compare...
    I don't have a suppressor but mine is threaded with a gemtech barrel

hk21guy

Nov 12, 2009
    glen burnie/pasadena
    i have a Sig Mosquito that has a silencer on it and i am comparing this to my Ruger MK2 and i know that the ruger is more accuater the the sig mosquito. i would recommend the mark 3. but the sig is much easier to take apart and clean...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom