• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Considering all the variables involved in using any makers bullet with their manual, if any component differs from the loading information, starting charges should be reduced 10% unless otherwise specified.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    The consensus is to go with the bullet manufacturers manual, so I have gone with the Nosler load data. I have made a handful of rounds at 1gr increments each and I am ready for the range testing. My goal is to find a recipe for accuracy on paper targets.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    If you were to go with .2gr increments, you would find the sweet spot a little easier and not have to make, then shoot a ton of your reloads.

I thought about that. I figured that as a new reloader, I could use the extra practice building rounds. Plus, it didn't take long to talk myself into doing the extra shooting.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    .x grains is not an reasonable way to consider increments in general. OK for a single particular cartridge.

What you are looking for is a 0.75 - 1% increment.

With a .223/5.56 that is about 0.2 grains (more exactly, but hard to measure: 0.19 - 0.25 grains for 25 grain max). For a .308, 0.3 - 0.4 grains (0.32 - 0.43 grains for 43 grain max). For a .300 Win Mag more like 0.5 - 0.6 grains.

1% or less increment means that if one particular increment shows NO pressure signs, the next highest increment will not be dangerous. Larger increments may not be safe as you approach maximum.

Using the OCW method, you pick what is considered maximum by whatever source you use (and it may be that you use the lowest, highest, or average of several sources). Then reduce that by 10%. Work up in 1% or less increments (first 3 rounds are done at a 2% increment as you are well below max), until you see signs of pressure. The increment below that is YOUR max for YOUR components in YOUR gun. That may be lower or higher than the published max load.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Did you check COL? Guessing Nosler has their BT seated a lot shorter then the others....

Ran into a similar issue with N133 and when i was trying to find a start point, suddenly realized that Hodgdon had the bullet seated deeper then the other two. Makes figuring out a starting point a little harder but if you know you plan to seat longer (Those V-max's for me like around 2.245-2.250) then you are a little safer on the max if you crest 24 gr (as always watch for pressure signs, I'd probably start looking around 23.9 - 24.0)

When you are bouncing from data sources keep that COL as one of the first things to check

The thing about COLs is, not all 55 fmjs (as an example) are not created equal. An Armscor 55g. fmj is .746 long whereas Hornady's is .736 so setting them to the same COL might be a problem, especially if loading to the max. One would be wise to do the math and lengthen the COL on the Armscor by 10 thousandths to achieve similar pressures. Also, by setting the Armscor to the COL recommended by Hornady, you lose the cannelure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom