• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Question for all the bass fishermen. I'm looking to try some topwater/frog fishing for bass and wondered the best place to go. I live in Pasadena and would prefer to stay within a 90min drive. I have not had much luck on the Potomac but have only fished the Fort Washington area and there isn't much grass there this year so I am guessing that's why the topwater bite hasn't been good. I haven't been on the eastern shore yet because I have been trying to avoid the weekend OC traffic.
    I'm assuming you are fishing from a boat? I haven't fished the Potomac river area in the last 10 years, but when I did I fished the Matawomen creek area. Lots of lilly pads and grass for frog fishing. That being said, I will fish top water all day in any area (over grass, rock walls, lay downs, ect) I feel it will work.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Last week in the Bahamas we did some fishing from the rocks Son's #1 and #2. few tugs but nothing to take in. Son#1 got the idea to fish while snorkeling so he did some catch and release.

Attachments

• Snorklefishing.png
      Snorklefishing.png
      554.1 KB · Views: 80
    • Big Eye fish1.png
      Big Eye fish1.png
      345 KB · Views: 93
    • RedGrouper1.png
      RedGrouper1.png
      556.3 KB · Views: 81
    • RedGrouper2.png
      RedGrouper2.png
      345.1 KB · Views: 82
    • shorrocks.jpg
      shorrocks.jpg
      77.1 KB · Views: 79

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    You might want to provide more details on this picture and comment....... Keep in mind the MD regulations. > 1 Rockfish per day that is 19" or larger. I count at least 10 in the picture and they aren't all over 19". Not saying your busted but sure does look that way!!
    I co-own and operate a 46' charter boat USCG certified for 17 passengers + 2 crew.

Sunday morning I had 10 customers.

I also hold a Maryland DNR Pilot Program permit that allows me to keep two fish per angler. I am very well versed in MD fishery laws. I was very involved with getting the pilot program allowing us two fish per off the ground.

10 people = 20 fish limit.

You cannot count any that are under 19" because there are none. We only had 2 of the 20 that were between 19" and 20", the rest were > 20". Biggest was 29", most 24-26" - We were on a very nice grade of fish. That is a 30 gallon trash can for scale.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    You might want to provide more details on this picture and comment....... Keep in mind the MD regulations. > 1 Rockfish per day that is 19" or larger. I count at least 10 in the picture and they aren't all over 19". Not saying your busted but sure does look that way!!
    A fellow member filled me in and told me you were a charter captain. I was happy to hear that. I am not a fan of Poachers. Thanks for sharing.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I had great outings on Friday and Saturday on the Lower Potomac. Crabs were feeding very reliably while the tide was moving (chicken backs and venison scraps in collapsible traps) and so were the white perch -- it seemed like there was an unlimited supply of white perch. I had to quit messing with perch after using up my single bag of blood worms...which cost me $20! (WTF). Next time I'll try spinners. I dealt with some rain and wind on Saturday, wondering if the fresh water would drive the crabs out of the creek I was working. It didn't seem to affect them though. The crabs were all hard, packed with meat and delicious!

Tip: don't set a perch on the boat box next to the crab basket while you rebait your line. I did that and the perch flopped into the crab basket while I wasn't looking. By the time I noticed, the crabs had shredded the fish to bits. After witnessing this, I decided I'll probably catch fish first next time and use them for my crab bait.

I also saw more dolphins than ever before. I'm talking like at least 100 in the pod...there were so many swimming in a line down the river that I couldn't possibly estimate how many there were. I've seen plenty of dolphins over the years, but never so many together. Maybe that means there is a good bait fish population right now?

I'm going back in two weeks and plan to spend some time targeting catfish. A few years ago I caught my largest ever bluecat down there (38") and want to try to beat my record. Thing is, I was using bacon as bait and with bacon now costing like $8/pack...I think I'll save the bacon for myself and use cut fish for my bait.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    My distant cousin caught a nice tuna along with a 307k check to go with it down in Ocean City. Had his kids with him. What a great experience.

Attachments

• 8EEE31A7-FFFD-4158-993D-C59879583C3B.jpeg
      8EEE31A7-FFFD-4158-993D-C59879583C3B.jpeg
      168.4 KB · Views: 92
    • 98A4EC7C-C5A4-48A2-9A7E-C31BB6A27134.jpeg
      98A4EC7C-C5A4-48A2-9A7E-C31BB6A27134.jpeg
      148 KB · Views: 89

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My distant cousin caught a nice tuna along with a 307k check to go with it down in Ocean City. Had his kids with him. What a great experience.

Congrats to him
    I’m Curious ,
    Scope boat or more traditional sonar ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Got this carp on Potomac, 9lb, 23"

Attachments

• potomac2.jpg
      potomac2.jpg
      231.4 KB · Views: 60
    • potomac1.jpg
      potomac1.jpg
      220.5 KB · Views: 60
    • carp1.jpg
      carp1.jpg
      421.5 KB · Views: 67
    • carp2-1.jpg
      carp2-1.jpg
      134 KB · Views: 65

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Haul from Saturday, mostly on beetle spins. Not bad for a few hours. They're all filleted and in the freezer now.

Attachments

• 20220716_144231.jpg
      20220716_144231.jpg
      398.3 KB · Views: 70

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    Haul from Saturday, mostly on beetle spins. Not bad for a few hours. They're all filleted and in the freezer now.
    Nice. I've taken my son out a few times this year and we haven't caught the first perch. We tore em up last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom