• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    I recall in MD he is legally required to kill or keep it....

No longer required to kill them (cats out of the bag they are now part of the environment). See the third and seventh bullet from this DNR FAQ;

Northern Snakehead
    Frequently Asked Questions Fishing Information

Are snakehead easy to catch? Yes. Snakeheads can have large populations and can be targeted in a variety of ways with a variety of bait/tackle. Check out our how-to-target video/ information, ask the professionals at tackle shops, or find tips and tricks online or through social media.

Where can I catch them? It can depend on the season and time of day, but usually freshwater and marshy areas, along shorelines in water less than six feet deep. The department has several tools for anglers including: an Angler’s Log with searchable reports of where snakeheads are being caught, a public access map that highlights places to fish for snakeheads and a weekly fishing report.

What specifically are Maryland regulations? Anglers targeting snakehead must possess a valid Maryland fishing license but there are no seasons, no size limits and no creel limits. Harvested snakehead must be killed immediately after being caught if there is intent to keep the fish. Possession and/or transport of live snakehead is illegal under state and federal law. If the angler does not intend to keep the fish, they may release it but must do so, immediately.

Are Snakehead fishing regulations in Maryland different than those in other states? No. Some of the terminology is different but live possession is illegal in all impacted states and live import from other countries is illegal.

Are snakehead safe to eat? Yes. Northern snakehead (Channa argus) are both nutritious and delicious. Studies routinely demonstrate that snakehead muscle contains insignificant levels of contaminants that are harmful to humans. Once filleted, their meat is similar to any flaky white fish such as halibut, haddock, whiting, or even striped bass (rockfish).

Are there worms in the fish? Potentially. Nearly any fish species can harbor intramuscular worms. Cutting the worms out is easy enough and they’re even safe to eat if cooked completely.

Do I have to kill every snakehead I catch? No. Persons wishing to release a live snakehead may do so provided it is immediate and directly back into the waters from which it came. For those willing, we actively encourage the targeting and harvest of every snakehead caught.

Should snakehead be treated like other sportfish with seasons and limits? No. Snakeheads are an invasive species that can negatively impact native fishes here and across the country. Because of ongoing research, the department, along with its many colleagues, continue to categorize the fish as invasive, nuisance or injurious.

Many of the properties that support those classifications will, unfortunately, allow the species to persist in Maryland, likely without any need of conservation strategies.

Last edited:

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    You don't have to kill em and I don't like to slim and blood my carpet up. But I generally kill them. A ball Pean hammer on the skull a few times punches a nice hole through it.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Is their skin thick? Would it stand up to a 45 HST+ If I left my hammer at home?

LOL

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    This is 100% incorrect. You must release them right where they are caught. If you plan to keep them, you must kill them immediately before leaving that spot.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
    The regulations above state they ‘may’ be immediately released. Appears they can also be killed and left or killed and taken....

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    The regulations above state they ‘may’ be immediately released. Appears they can also be killed and left or killed and taken....
    you are right. I was trying to keep you out of trouble with the kill or keep comment above. I have heard of people getting cars impounded for keeping fish that weren't dead.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Looks great! I know that's a good feeling to be done with that thankless job. Curious, about what did the blasting job run you? When I did mine the last time the bottom paint was 2 years old and I used an orbital sander to remove / scuff much of it without going beyond it. . I swore it was my last time removing paint. What final product did you use?

I had Chesapeake Blasting soda blast it this year.
    It was around $2,400. The boat is 46'X16'

I did three coats of Pettit Protect 2-part epoxy barrier paint and two coats of Pettit HRT Premium ablative bottom paint.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I had Chesapeake Blasting soda blast it this year.
    It was around $2,400. The boat is 46'X16'

I did three coats of Pettit Protect 2-part epoxy barrier paint and two coats of Pettit HRT Premium ablative bottom paint.
    Good deal, thank you.

I used the same paint plus I recall I used PETTIT 1810 UNEPOXY on the aluminum tub that's partially in the water under the rear engine bracket. The original HRT did not hold up well at all on the aluminum.

take care.....

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Is their skin thick? Would it stand up to a 45 HST+ If I left my hammer at home?

LOL
    Maybe...

I ran over one with my F150 while he was crossing the road. The tire pinched him and slammed him into the guard rail and he bounced back into the road. I started to back up to get him and could see him in my mirror slithering back into the water.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Good to know that snakeheads are decent tablefare... Any recomendation for preps?
    They have very firm, mild-tasting, white meat and can be cooked the same as any fish. I like them filleted and fried with cornmeal or Panco. If you like your fish baked and/or stuffed, they could also be headed, gutted, scaled and baked. The scales are very heavy and they are much easier to fillet than to scale.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Good deal, thank you.

I used the same paint plus I recall I used PETTIT 1810 UNEPOXY on the aluminum tub that's partially in the water under the rear engine bracket. The original HRT did not hold up well at all on the aluminum.

take care.....

Thanks and You as well.
    Ready for 16 May already.....smh

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Day one of my Walleye trip.

2 werent keepers so they got thrown back. Biggest was 26 inches

Attachments

• F762043E-C22F-435F-8F50-E2004E191ED4.jpeg
      F762043E-C22F-435F-8F50-E2004E191ED4.jpeg
      373.7 KB · Views: 52