• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Is it my imagination or have the Vortex cantilever mounts gone dramatically in price? I seem to remember them being under $100. They are $120 or more now. The Burris PEPR seems to be the best deal at $89.
    [EDIT] Unless you want to get a $29 Monstrum.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Good mounts are NOT cheap.
    *****Not only that but trying to save a few $$$ by using a cheap, poorly engineered mount will dramatically reduce the accuracy of your firearm! One of my range friends was blaming his pretty expensive, normally sub MOA rifle for very poor accuracy after putting on a new mount, and he had a gunsmith go through the gun to make sure nothing was wrong, only to have him tell my friend that his $30 E-bay mount was a piece of crap and could not handle the recoil of his rifle to hold zero on his scope.

I let him borrow a scope and mount with 2" offset for proper eye relief and his rifle was now "awesome!!!". He seemed somewhat disappointed to find out the mount was not $30, and the scope cost more than his rifle.. (NightForce NX8 1-8X24 with the FC-MOA reticle), but the point was made... Don't use a cheap mount that flops around and doesn't provide proper eye relief for the scope used... Good mounts and good glass are not cheap. And, bad mounts and bad glass can ruin an otherwise nice firearm.

Plenty of decent quality mounts out there, but as everyone knows, proper fitting is highly dependent upon your personal sighting needs and also the type of rifle as well.. I use the glass below with a small frame AR. The mount is also made by NightForce and I had to try several before settling on what fits me well.

Others with more experience may chime in on their preferences, but it is worthwhile to try out several different offsets to see what fits you best and then order what you need.

force.jpg

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    Is it my imagination or have the Vortex cantilever mounts gone dramatically in price? I seem to remember them being under $100. They are $120 or more now. The Burris PEPR seems to be the best deal at $89.
    [EDIT] Unless you want to get a $29 Monstrum.
    Everything has gone up. That said, the PEPR is a good mount.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So Vortex is a bit high, but there seem to be other good choices out there. Aero and Burris are two solid choices I have experience with. Looks like I am making a mountain out of a mole hill.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I like nightforce, american defense, bobro, and spuhr.

Don't currently own a bobro as I sold mine with the rifle it was on but they are very solid mounts. Return to zero is better than american defense but on a dot or LPVO it doesn't generally matter much if you remount correctly. Have a couple of AD lever mounts. All good.

If you like bolt on, go nightforce unimount. Have one, love it. If that's not enough cantilever for your optic, see the above lever mounts. For a heavy duty rig with a high magnification optic of top quality, look at spuhr. Not cheap at all but super high quality.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    My 5-25x56 venom needs a 34mm mount. This warne has been pretty great.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I bought the upper end Vortex mounts for the last build I did...it needed just as much tweaking as the less expensive brand I bought previously. Same amount of work for double the price....you don't always get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom