• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    In a van down by the river
    I have found, that the folks here on The C&R forum are generally more polite, agreeable and helpful than say on the Watercooler. Differences of opinions are handled with respect and a very gentlemanly response. Could it be that we are older and have been raised in a different atmosphere and taught that respect is a valued human trait?

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Age and maturity could have something to do with it, but I'd think is has more to do with the original post topics. C&R, Reloading, etc. are where hobbyist conversations happen. Not that there wouldn't be differences of opinion, but they're probably not as controversial as what you might find in the more political forums or the totally random stuff in the WC.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    C&R guys do tend to be older for the most part. Also consider themselves custodians of history, not just gun owners or shooters. I enjoy learning as much about the history and function of firearms I own as much as I enjoy shooting them.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The Mall Ninjas don't seem to be interested in C&R.

Appreciation for history teaches you that flaming people does not bring you good will.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" George Santayana.
    I think George had a Mosin as his first C&R but I don't think it was C&R back then, But he knew it would be.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I've noticed the same thing. I don't think age has a whole lot to do with it. There are several people I know of who frequent this section who are on the younger side, including myself. The only time I've seen it get heated here is when laws are being discussed, and even then an argument is rare. I think it's that everyone who posts here have very similar interests, so it's hard to get into a disagreement. I've visited the watercooler a few times. I've never stayed very long.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    It's really about 20 members of this forum of 20,000 that are resposible. They post on every thread (even if they have nothing to offer). They are always right and you don't get to question them in anyway. It wouldn't help anyway.

Many posts end with them squabbling amongst themselves or sharing emoticons.

I pretty much just avoid these lines of discussion. Sometimes one member will offer a different and very well thought out opinion. He will be immediately eviserated.

Just like in real life, I don't avoid these situations but I also don't go looking for it.

Oh and C &R guys are just nicer.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Many of the comments on the WC are transparent attempts to escalate arguments. They literally serve no other purpose but to anger their target.

I posted this link in the WC about a group helping homeless vets and got very few comments: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=137397

Whereas threads about some stupid political argument will blow up with comments.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Maturity may have something to do with it but I'm not too sure age does. I'm only 21. I think most of us that frequent this board are concerned with showing off or discussing historical and interesting firearms rather than starting petty arguments about other random issues

Dec 31, 2012
    It's a specialty interest without broad appeal to bring in the riff raff. Same is true for Black Powder, Archery, etc..

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I think there's a certain comradery that comes from the experience of de-cosmo'ing a gun that cannot be understood unless it has been experienced.

With that said, I'm certainly not above sticking my foot in my mouth or being hooked by trolls... :)

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Most of us also have the ability to order firearms online and have them delivered to out front door. After you have that in your life, what else is worth complaining or being angry about?

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    Maturity may have something to do with it but I'm not too sure age does. I'm only 21. I think most of us that frequent this board are concerned with showing off or discussing historical and interesting firearms rather than starting petty arguments about other random issues

I'm with you, its about the guns not about winning an argument in this particular area.

Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    In a van down by the river
    Points well made. I agree that removing cosmoline, having a gun delivered to your home and an appreciation of the history of a weapon has made us a band of brothers... Ok OK so it's on HBO right now but I'm watching the series to spot examples of some WW II guns.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    The Mall Ninjas don't seem to be interested in C&R.

Appreciation for history teaches you that flaming people does not bring you good will.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" George Santayana.
    I think George had a Mosin as his first C&R but I don't think it was C&R back then, But he knew it would be.

Yeah. I don't believe the posers/ mall ninja want to wear the latest tacticool gear from 1930. They don't like a Mauser or Mosin because they cannot hang six flashlights, three lasers, and a forward grip from the rifles. You see this gear is required in addition to wearing a drop leg holster, "Agent" marked tactical vest, and face mask to play Call of Duty. The firearm hobby attracts a wide range of people to it's ranks, some are a little out there.

I like older firearms. I like to shoot them and I like the way they smell. I like the history that surrounds them. The C&R firearms are part of our human story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom