• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    So, in my mind, the Licensing board that hears the appeals for disapproved CCWs is probably not very busy. Most Maryland gun owners know that unless you are already a victim, good luck getting a permit, and don't even bother to apply.

So, why don't we all apply, get turned down, and just basically logjam the appeals process? In my opinion, the appeals board exists as a technicality that lets the state say, "See, you had your chance?"

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I have always thought that is more people need to apply to have a more realistic percentage of denials. I am sure the 120 ish bucks that would be lost is an issue.

TD

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I have always thought that is more people need to apply to have a more realistic percentage of denials. I am sure the 120 ish bucks that would be lost is an issue.

TD

I forgot about the fee, but I would pay it and be happy knowing that I am helping make life difficult for these bafoons. I imagine the board doesn't meet all that often. If we all were to apply and request hearing, their schedule would be packed tight.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I would rather donate my 120 to MSI, NRA, SAF, etc than blow it on a pointless appeals court show.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    At my informal review the trooper even said that he did not know how the HPRB is going to handle all the post decision pre stay denials.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    What would the end result of this strategy be?

In listening to some 2A cases, the denial rate is usually something the AG brings up frequently.

In the NJ case, they talked about how they don't have a very high denial rate... Gura said that was because NO ONE applies.

It would be nice to have a HUGE denial rate.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I think there was another thread on this very topic. The review board only hears like a dozen or so appeals each year. They can easily be overwhelmed. A coordinated effort(with a lawsuit ready when they undoubtedly can't keep up) would be interesting to say the least. It'll also skew Gansler's claim of a 92 percent approval rate.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    They'd just stop using the 92% number. Is that worth the donation of several thousand to the state?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    They'd just stop using the 92% number. Is that worth the donation of several thousand to the state?

I'm sure having the Board work full time would easily offset any donations from us.
    But Woollard is waiting for a cert grant, so it may be a moot point(hopefully).

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    I had my hearing in front of the HPRB this past Tuesday. I have a thread running on the subject if you are curious about my experiences.

I called the Secretary of the Board in early August just to make sure they had received my request for a hearing. She told me that at the present time the Board only meets once a month and only hears two appeals per meeting.

They mail a letter to you about ten days before the hearing date to tell you that you are scheduled.

The interesting thing is that with the letter they send you they include a two page explanation of the Boards procedures. They also state in those procedures that they will rule on your appeal within 120 days of receiving you letter.

Thinking about it now, I need to get those instructions scanned and get them up for others to see.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Cheaper to do a petition of all those who do not apply because of the refusal and who already possess a nonresident permit from somewhere else. I would think legally it would carry the same weight if brought to litigation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    An imaginary denial of an application that doesn't get submitted has no legal or statistical weight.
    The concept has been kicked around for years , but to be meaningful , it requires upper hundreds , preferably thousands per year. While there are lots of people willing to make the expense if they KNEW that enough people were doing it together. But in best Cat Herding fashion few people want to go first , and end up being the only ones.

Until " Post decision / Pre Stay" . These denials will make a huge drop. Now we need to keep their feet to the statistical fire. They didn't count them in 2012 , because they were still Pending. Now watch out that in 2013 they don't try to ignore them , claiming the denials were retroactive back to day 91 in 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom