• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • six6nine9wpk

Jan 27, 2015
    Why hasn't anybody come along and challenge this man. I mean 125 for a hand gun transfer is ridiculous. DC is trying to make it impossible for the average citizen to be able to afford a gun in the home. Not only are DC residence paying 200 over retail the wait time substantial.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Why start a business that is designed by law to fail?

It'd be like opening a car dealership in a city that outlaws cars.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The zoning laws make it all but impossable to start a gun business. When Mr. Sykes lost his previous lease , he could not find a legal location that didn't have rent of $ zillion . Even DC saw they would be in a bad position if they would allow zero FFL's , so they figured it was the lesser evil to give him a desk at MPD HQ than get sued , or admit their error and rewrite their laws.

From one viewpoint , DC residents are better off in the short run with one FFL vs none , in the short run. In the big picture , if Mr Sykes decided to leave the gun biz ,and persue other easier endevors , there would soon be several very interesting legal actions.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I wonder if an FFL wanted to go into business in Washington DC would the police department also give them desk space? Would it be discriminatory to do otherwise?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    We deal with Mr. Sykes on a regular basis, and have discussed his operation at length.

The fees he charges reflect the costs and efforts he has had to go through just to stay in business, despite the best efforts of D.C. Government.

His office is in a government building, and they don't "give him desk space;" they charge him huge rent.

I'd say cut him some slack, without him, there are no FFLs in D.C..

Sidebar, his is a really nice guy and a pleasure to deal with.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    His office is in a government building, and they don't "give him desk space;" they charge him huge rent.

Rent 100 bucks a month. Transfer one gun and the rent is paid with money left over.

100 bucks a month rent
    no property taxes
    no property insurance besides his own space perhaps
    no utilities

http://dcist.com/2011/07/sykes_to_sell_transfer_guns_at_mpd.php

I think he should charge whatever he wants, but saying he has huge expenses isn't the reason.

Attachments

• rent.JPG
      rent.JPG
      30.6 KB · Views: 527

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Rent 100 bucks a month. Outrageous. Transfer one gun and the rent is paid with money left over.

http://dcist.com/2011/07/sykes_to_sell_transfer_guns_at_mpd.php

I think he should charge whatever he wants, but saying he has huge expenses isn't the reason.

Ya, we have talked to him personally, that isn't what he is paying these days.

You guys seem to forget all he had to go through, legal fees included, to just get that spot to do business.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No one is criticizing him for his fees, at least I'm not. He charges whatever he wants, I'm ok with that.

I'm just saying his overhead is not what a typical FFL in another state has to pay as far as overhead, so that doesn't seem to be the reason his fees are higher than other FFL's.

But perhaps a total lack of competition helps keep prices high.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I would think if another FFL opened up in DC and charged, say 75 dollars for a transfer, would Mr. Sykes lower his prices?

I'd guess he would.

But since he has no competition, he can charge whatever he feels like. That's the free market.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Why hasn't anybody come along and challenge this man. I mean 125 for a hand gun transfer is ridiculous. DC is trying to make it impossible for the average citizen to be able to afford a gun in the home. Not only are DC residence paying 200 over retail the wait time substantial.

You may have to share space with the Mr Sykes due to all of the DC zoning crap.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    The zoning laws make it all but impossible to start a gun business. When Mr. Sykes lost his previous lease, he could not find a legal location that didn't have rent of $ zillion. Even DC saw they would be in a bad position if they would allow zero FFL's, so they figured it was the lesser evil to give him a desk at MPD HQ than get sued, or admit their error and rewrite their laws.

From one viewpoint, DC residents are better off in the short run with one FFL vs none, in the short run. In the big picture, if Mr Sykes decided to leave the gun biz, and pursue other easier endeavors, there would soon be several very interesting legal actions.

That's pretty much it. I agree that a little competitive pressure would very likely lower prices, but that's pretty much impossible with the current arrangement in DC.

six6nine9wpk

Jan 27, 2015
    Seems like a sweet little part time gig if you ask me............ He goes to gun shops twice a week, has his own hours and pays 100 to rent out office space.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

The actual answer to this question is there are like 6-8 FFL's in D.C. to include Sykes.

One is an Anti-Gun group who will never sell guns

One is some Arts Theatre group so they can buy prop guns

One is the ATF

Sykes

And one other individual (I forget his name). Some random guy.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The DC FFLs are held by Arena Stage, The Shakespeare Theater Company, Josh Sugarman of the Violence Policy Center, The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, K S Supply and CS Exchange Ltd.A couple of others are listed here as well. Not sure of their status. Mr. Sykes no longer operates out of the Good Hope Road location.

Mr. Sugarm,an as noted is a big anti.

Attachments

• dc ffl.JPG
      dc ffl.JPG
      68.2 KB · Views: 352
    • dc ffl2.JPG
      dc ffl2.JPG
      22.9 KB · Views: 354

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads