Why Would an FFL Make You Wait 7 Days for an HBAR AR15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    That FFL is a cuck whose breath smells like MSP cock.

Best line of the day.

Waiting seven days for a rifle that's cash & carry? Yeah, you need to out that dealer so we know who to avoid. Dumbest thing I've heard in quite awhile.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I'm picturing this FFL as a doddering old Fudd who runs a dusty little Fudd shop that occasionally sells a shotgun to a Fudd. He probably has no idea about current laws and has never seen an AR--- is frightened by it.

I don't even want to think about what his breath smells like.

There would be if some doddering old Fudd with questionable breath refuses to give you your property for seven days... or seventy.

Superiority complex much?
    Damn.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I was at an FFL a year or 2 ago (wow, its been a while) looking at a couple AR's. One looked like a manufacturer build and the other looked like a home build.

The FFL told me the manufacturer build was cash and carry but the home build was a 77r. I asked why the difference and was told because the home builds' lower was originally transferred as a lower. If it had been a complete rifle and transferred with a 4473, that would have been different.

Their house, their rules. I walked out without anything that day.

Maybe this is the situation here.

This was exactly the reason one of mine was held up years ago. Funny during boating accidents, they don't float on the surface for 7 days though.

LongRanger300

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 14, 2020
    The other thing is, I would have just gone to Atlantic to pick it up and taken it home same day. How far could it have been?

I recently purchased a shotgun through Atlantic and asked could I come get it as opposed to transferring it through my local FFL and Atlantic said they are closed to the public and all sales get shipped. So add the cost of shipping and transfer to the cost of the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I recently purchased a shotgun through Atlantic and asked could I come get it as opposed to transferring it through my local FFL and Atlantic said they are closed to the public and all sales get shipped. So add the cost of shipping and transfer to the cost of the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh right, I always mix up the two Atlantics.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back during 1996- 2013 when some AR were 7day, and some were cash & carry , it was not uncommon for FFL to err on side of caution , and 77R them all .

But since Oct 2013 , no more such thing as ( newly purchased) Regulated Rifle , they are either good to go as unregulated , or Banned .

The most charitable analysis is tbe Dlr is thinking that " Once a Reciever Only , Always a Reciever Only " . Not a correct assumption , in this context, the firearm is defined by its configuration at the time of transfer . ie if it is configured as HBAR , it's HBAR , if configured as pistol , it's a pistol, if configured with " Gov't profile " , it's illegal .

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The questions that need to be answered are, did he do a 77E? Remember Maryland has an in"voluntary" registration where one could in"voluntarily" register a slingshot. Or, is the FFL appointment only and the 7 day wait is a coincidence? There's also Occam's Razor. The gun hasnt shipped yet and the FFL wants to recieve it , nventory it and is allowing himself breathing room in case of shipping delay/error

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The questions that need to be answered are, did he do a 77E? Remember Maryland has an in"voluntary" registration where one could in"voluntarily" register a slingshot.

That's a great question; did not know there was such a thing. AFAIK, he did do a 77R [EDIT - or that's what he told me, did he mean 77E?]. Based on the feedback here, I am hesitant to post names etc. without more info. I think the lesson learned here is to ask very specific questions when you choose and talk to an FFL regarding a transfer so there are no misunderstandings. [EDIT - actually I would rather not post anything that would compromise someone's privacy]

I do know that my associate chose this FFL in part because of a previous positive buying experience. I was very surprised when he said he had to wait 7 days. I told I thought that was wrong but it was too late by then.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    77"R" and 77"E" are the same thing. 77E is the electronic version of the 77R. For a while both paper and online existed, hence the distinction, but now there is only electronic and everyone including the MSP has defaulted to calling it 77R.

If he really did do a 77R and wait you need to out this dealer so that we can educate them.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Back during 1996- 2013 when some AR were 7day, and some were cash & carry , it was not uncommon for FFL to err on side of caution , and 77R them all .

But since Oct 2013 , no more such thing as ( newly purchased) Regulated Rifle , they are either good to go as unregulated , or Banned .

The most charitable analysis is tbe Dlr is thinking that " Once a Reciever Only , Always a Reciever Only " . Not a correct assumption , in this context, the firearm is defined by its configuration at the time of transfer . ie if it is configured as HBAR , it's HBAR , if configured as pistol , it's a pistol, if configured with " Gov't profile " , it's illegal .

Back in '94 (just before the Klinton Ban) one of the guys at the sportsman's club operated a LGS from his home.

He got a Colt R6601 for me, which was specifically "cash and carry", and that dipstick had me fill out the 77r.

I showed him the exemption for that particular rifle, and he would not acknowledge it.

Due to the very low price of the rifle OTD, I filled out the paperwork.

That whole process is Bovine Scatology.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Ok let me straighten this out. Outside of original and origin of the post itself.

The heavy barrel AR config in MD is a 4473 in Maryland. Period. If there is a delay by NICS that's something else.

The HBAR designation and approval for Competition Colt HBAR 1/7 Match Target Rifles as a 4473 transfer was granted and approved by the MSP board. Colt does not produce these anymore.

The grandfathering allowed the sale of all similar configs utilizing the HBAR barrel under 4473 transfer. That still exists today for all FFL transfers under the guidelines set forth.

Making a purchaser, who is approved under NICS for the legal transfer of the said weapon is not in line with process. If the person is buying a receiver stated as Multi Caliber for assembly of pistol variant then they fall under the regulated weapon transfer guidelines in Maryland.

This does not prevent a Licensed Dealer from making his own rules by instituting a seven day wait period for such a weapon before release for transfer.

How do I know? You've already guessed. Be safe, drive with two hands on the wheel and be sure to feed your dog who loves you more than your wife.

Feb 28, 2013
    I made recommendation for an HBAR AR to a guy I know at work. As a result he bought a Windham HBAR from Atlantic Firearms shipped to an (Maryland) FFL. I don't know who the FFL is, but he has to wait 7 days to pick it up. Could it be the FFL is selling it to him as an "other"? It's a fully assembled rifle. :shrug:

:rolleyes:

Id tell the SOB keep it and wipe his ass with that 77R

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Ok let me straighten this out. Outside of original and origin of the post itself.

The heavy barrel AR config in MD is a 4473 in Maryland. Period. If there is a delay by NICS that's something else.

The HBAR designation and approval for Competition Colt HBAR 1/7 Match Target Rifles as a 4473 transfer was granted and approved by the MSP board. Colt does not produce these anymore.

The grandfathering allowed the sale of all similar configs utilizing the HBAR barrel under 4473 transfer. That still exists today for all FFL transfers under the guidelines set forth.

Making a purchaser, who is approved under NICS for the legal transfer of the said weapon is not in line with process. If the person is buying a receiver stated as Multi Caliber for assembly of pistol variant then they fall under the regulated weapon transfer guidelines in Maryland.

This does not prevent a Licensed Dealer from making his own rules by instituting a seven day wait period for such a weapon before release for transfer.

How do I know? You've already guessed.
    Be safe, drive with two hands on the wheel and be sure to feed your dog who loves you more than your wife. ��

... and remember, capitalism allows those who wish to, to take there business elsewhere. Its a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom