• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Ma Deuce or nothing. Layer up some sandbags...

It could be used as a night stand

latest

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    . What she prefers .
    AND can shoot and handle reasonably competently for the purpose at hand.
    IF her preference doesn't totally suck for the purpose at hand .

CrabbyTurtle

Dec 23, 2020
    2A First
    My wife and I are both new shooters. We tried some small single stacks in 9 mm but we eventually chose full size guns in 9 mm as our bedside tools because we shot them the best. For her first time at the range, I had her start with a 22LR pistol to first get the feel for the "bang" then we went to the 9.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    For those of you who want your untrained person to have a semi in the most dire time of their life, fast forward to about the 4 minute mark.

The video shows how important it is to keep things the most simple as possible under stress, especially when critical thinking is so important.

I personally don't want a loved one to have to fight with racking anything should they get injured defending their life.

Just food for thought.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    What she's comfortable shooting.

You can't make that decision for her; take her to a range and rent (or borrow) handguns until you find one she's comfortable with.

boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    Small guns are not good for begining shooters. To much kick, generally. People will shy away from practicing if it hurts to shoot.
    For $4-500 you can find a very nice Ruger Security Six, .38/357. One of the toughest revolvers produced.

Attachments

• DSCN0406.jpg
      DSCN0406.jpg
      108.7 KB · Views: 225

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Look at the S&W Air light 38 with Hornady 90 FTX hollow point, light recoil but a stopper that is easy to handle doesn't pass through without making a big hole.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Small guns are not good for begining shooters. To much kick, generally. People will shy away from practicing if it hurts to shoot.For $4-500 you can find a very nice Ruger Security Six, .38/357. One of the toughest revolvers produced.
    Yes, one of the greatest misconceptions is get the little lady a little handgun. If you're going to get her a revolver, a Ruger Security-Six or Speed-Six is an excellent choice. And if you're going to get her an automatic, I recommend a second or third generation S&W 9mm. Whatever you do, I'd steer clear of the plastic autos with no safeties. Any auto without a safety is an accident waiting to happen unless you're very well trained. Even if you're a cop.

The Security-Six is an astoundingly good choice. Loaded with +P ammo it's safe and many women (including my late mom) love them. They're modestly priced and easy to use. I also like the SP-101. Oh, and I'm a big fan of the stainless Speed-Six. These powerful magnums pack a huge punch when you're camping, hiking or doing other outdoor activities. In the house, the .38 +P is plenty powerful for home defense.

The S&W 2nd or 3rd generation autos are accurate and, with a 10-shot capacity, is quite a lot. I have a S&W 39 and 59 and recommend them both. Also, the 5906. Great guns, attractive and safe. And even the larger 645/4506 pistols are superb.

What's not to like?

That's what's so great. On the plus side, there are plenty of guns available, so there are many to choose from. On the downside, you can't really get the classy, beautiful guns that were once available. I'd love to be able to walk into a gun store, drop three C-notes on the counter and walk out the door with a brand new S&W 13 smelling of light gun oil with beautiful factory bluing and brown walnut grips that perfectly fit the frame. For an extra C-note, make it a Model 19 and throw in a box of "shells" and walnut Magna grips! In such times who really had the time to fret about getting a Colt Python? In those days, I didn't even want a Python! Who in their right mind want a Python when, for the same price, they could buy a Model 19 and a Model 13?

Ruger_SS_Assembly_2.jpg

Ruger Security-Six comes in 2.75-/4-/6-inch barrel lengths
    and is easy to disassemble and reassemble.

Ruger SP-101 (top) and Speed-Six.

S&W 659

S&W 645, a big gun for the little lady.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    Revolver is the simplest but has a long trigger pull unless you cock the hammer. Self defense course, they taught us not to clock the hammer for legal defense reasons. I was like, how are the cops going to figure out I cocked the hammer? I guess if you don't kill the perp and he/she testifies you cocked the hammer, it could cost you. Fully loaded revolver is ready to shoot, pull the trigger and it goes bang. If you stow a auto with one up the pipe (fully loaded), your wife won't be racking the slide. Sure if you have to clear a stove piped case or misfire/dead round you have to rake it, but I've shot thousands of rounds and never experienced either. A .357 Mag revolver is a non starter but at the range I once let a petite oriental gal shoot my S&W 625 (6" barrel, Hogue grips) which shoots 45 ACP in full clips (fairly quick reload), she loved it. Very controllable, the big frame absorbs a lot of the recoil. I did show her how to cock the hammer for a short/crisp trigger pull Her boyfriend just bought "them" a Glock 19 and she hated shooting it. My ex liked shooting a Colt Python with a 6" barrel. Very suite trigger, even DA pull.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Revolver is the simplest but has a long trigger pull unless you cock the hammer. Self defense course, they taught us not to clock the hammer for legal defense reasons. I was like, how are the cops going to figure out I cocked the hammer? I guess if you don't kill the perp and he/she testifies you cocked the hammer, it could cost you.
    YES, and some perps are wise to that and it's your word against his. That's why you should never talk to the police. In the course of questioning, you might get flustered and say, "Yes...no...I don't know, it happened so fast." The one thing you need to concentrate on is whether you were in fear for your life.

A .357 Mag revolver is a non starter but at the range I once let a petite oriental gal shoot my S&W 625 (6" barrel, Hogue grips) which shoots 45 ACP in full clips (fairly quick reload), she loved it. Very controllable, the big frame absorbs a lot of the recoil.
    YES, a .357 is not good for indoors. The blast can blind and deafen one. Many people think I'm nuts, but I find a .22LR auto to be a good round for home defense. A .22LR auto like the Ruger Mark-series is accurate, fires rapidly and is easy to recover from. My father grew up in the country (western Kentucky) and was dirt poor. He would take his .22LR to school, then walked home with it after school ended and would hunt for possums, rabbits or squirrels -- anything to put in a pot and cook.

He had a deep respect for the .22LR, and used the gray, greasy .22s that came in a cardboard box of fifty rounds. Nearly everyone had a .22 of some sort as that's all people could afford (that and shotguns). People used the .22LR to hunt and for defense. Back in his day, doctors didn't have X-rays like they do now, and if someone took a .22 to the chest, the doctors would have to go digging for it.

Most .22LR autos, with quality ammo, can spit out bullets at a dizzying rate. Head shots are easy with just a minimal amount of practice, and nine shots can be put into the boiler in just over three seconds. One of my favorite pistols is the discontinued Beretta 70S. It can be cocked and locked and is so compact that one can carry it discreetly to the door when you don't know who's come a'knocking. But it all depends on what one's comfortable with.

Beretta 70S hard chromed .22LR.

Ruger Mark II (top) and AMT Lightning.

I wouldn't use a .22LR revolver if I could help it.

I did show her how to cock the hammer for a short/crisp trigger pull Her boyfriend just bought "them" a Glock 19 and she hated shooting it. My ex liked shooting a Colt Python with a 6" barrel. Very suite trigger, even DA pull.
    Glocks are, in my view, one of the most dangerous guns ever designed and sold. If you jack a round into the chamber, the gun is ready to fire and it has no safety, nor can you buy one with a safety. Not my idea of a good gun design. It may be fine for military, but for police and homeowners, I don't like them.

--

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    YES, and some perps are wise to that and it's your word against his. That's why you should never talk to the police. In the course of questioning, you might get flustered and say, "Yes...no...I don't know, it happened so fast." The one thing you need to concentrate on is whether you were in fear for your life.

Most .22LR autos, with quality ammo, can spit out bullets at a dizzying rate. Head shots are easy with just a minimal amount of practice, and nine shots can be put into the boiler in just over three seconds.
    --

NRA self defense instructor way back when told us to say:
    1. I was in fear for my life.
    2. I don't know how many times I fired.
    3. I'm not saying anything more without a lawyer.

He also told us to put a round in to the header above the exterior door or window. At the time, we were living in a house we built and I knew there were 3 - 2x12s above the doors and windows. Not so sure about that in my cheaply built townhouse.

HQL instructor (ex law enforcement) said (we just took the class) get your gun, get your phone, get down behind something like your bed and call 911. Tell 911 what is going on if you can, that you are afraid, and if the intruder comes into your room/at you then shout "why are you in my house? I have a gun and I will shoot."

W.R.T. using a .22LR, I can hear the prosecutor now, why Mr. So-n-so did you feel you needed to shoot him 9 times in the head? :D

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

He also told us to put a round in to the header above the exterior door or window. At the time, we were living in a house we built and I knew there were 3 - 2x12s above the doors and windows. Not so sure about that in my cheaply built townhouse.

HQL instructor (ex law enforcement) said (we just took the class) get your gun, get your phone, get down behind something like your bed and call 911. Tell 911 what is going on if you can, that you are afraid, and if the intruder comes into your room/at you then shout "why are you in my house? I have a gun and I will shoot."

W.R.T. using a .22LR, I can hear the prosecutor now, why Mr. So-n-so did you feel you needed to shoot him 9 times in the head? :D

Screw that. Anyone willing to break into a home that may be occupied is willing to kill you. I'm not yelling shit to help them find me. If I'm lucky, they'll never know where I am until that final flash of light they see.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Please delete all of this drivel, because someone will actually believe this.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This is one of those answers that never changes. If you're going to let her shoot different types of guns at the range, wait until she's done that and then ask her which one she liked best. If it's a viable defensive gun, go with that one.

THIS ^^^^^^^

Would you want me, or anyone else pick YOUR defense pistol?

Why would you pick one for HER?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    THIS ^^^^^^^

Would you want me, or anyone else pick YOUR defense pistol?

Why would you pick one for HER?

Because in the end, it's not about the pistol, but what happens in a self defense situation.
    She is not going to train hard for a fight. The bottom line it comes down to simplicity in a duress situation. You know, how to figure a back azimuth easier during a critical moment?
    "What works for me may not work for thee"

Someone explain(other than capacity) why a semi is better than a revolver in an emergency situation for a novice. And sorry, but less recoil is not an answer.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Most of us here consider ourselves knowledgeable enough to make sufficiently viable choices based on our knowledge and preferences . In the case of OP's wife she realized she didn't , and asked someone she generally trusted , and who had more expertise on the subject . OP in turn is doing his due diligence by consulting with " us" to look for if not consensus , at least clusters of trends , and possible answers not on his radar .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Most of us here consider ourselves knowledgeable enough to make sufficiently viable choices based on our knowledge and preferences . In the case of OP's wife she realized she didn't , and asked someone she generally trusted , and who had more expertise on the subject . OP in turn is doing his due diligence by consulting with " us" to look for if not consensus , at least clusters of trends , and possible answers not on his radar .

But again, the answer is, let her pick, then run the choice by the group to see if there are any red flags.

Any quality centerfire handgun should be OK, if she is happy with the choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom