• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjjefferson

Aug 22, 2011
    Laurel, MD
    bedside

Mine chose a Walther P22. Had her try .380 and 9mm. She hated both....and she flinched whenever she shot it and couldn't hit shit.

The P22? She could unload that think on target out to 15 yards. Sooooo....P22 with extra mags. She can swap mags well...she shoots it well and although its "only" a .22 ...it is about hitting your target under stress. She loves it!

Besides...I have her back on the other side of the bed with the Ruger SR1911 .45 :-)

JJ

Carter McCoy

High Standard K-1200
    Jul 7, 2020
    Crofton
    Thanks Uncle Duke, I hadn't heard the bogus reports. I guess maybe it is like the stories that racking a pump action will deter intruders. In either case I know I would cease and desist, but I guess I'm not your ordinary everyday crackhead!

Bigstacks

Feb 24, 2013
    Glen Burnie, MD
    My wife picked a Glock 26 9mm. I made her get her own HQL incase something was to happen they would not come after me for letting her have access to my guns. You know how this state is.

Jiberwocky

Jun 4, 2019
    Baltimore
    Revolvers are good and easy to use and learn, but the smaller and lighter the gun the more she'll suffer from the felt recoil. You may want to get her the heaviest gun (relative to muzzle energy) you think she can easily hold and operate, here are a couple possibilities:

1. A .38/.357 DA/SA revolver loaded with 125gr .38 spl or another light target load: plenty effective but a dream to shoot. A snub loaded with hot .357 mag hits super hard, but sucks to shoot.
    2. A .22LR semi auto: little punch but also little blast or recoil, because the potency of the round doesn't matter if you can't hit, keep hitting, and have your wits about you to know whether you're hitting.
    3. A proper handgun in a proper caliber, tilting barrel not just blowback: straight blowback guns exist to be tiny, which isn't necessary for a nightstand gun, and that diminutive size comes with snappy-for-caliber recoil and a slide many smaller people find hard to charge.

When it comes to revolvers, don't ignore .327 mag (and don't completely ignore single-action, I wouldn't hesitate to hand my girlfriend a Ruger Single Seven in .327 as it's easy to manage, light, but still effective with moderate recoil).

Best of luck to you both! Hope you two find a gun she really falls in love with.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    Pump shotgun - the sound of racking it is universally known and will send most intruders fleeing. For those that stay, her aim doesn't have to be that good.

Worst advise I have seen in some time. "the sound of racking" is not universally know among druggies and announces your position - is it worth it? Aiming a shotgun at close range is essential. Shotgun spread is only about 1" per yard. So, inside a home, range is very short and pattern very small.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    My take on this subject is that a "bedside firearm" is not a "carry firearm." That said, size/weight is only important when considering hand size, hand strength, and shooting experience. I helped my nephew select a "house gun" for his wife. Based on his research, we started with compact 9mm models. After handling many at a big gun show, we determined she did not have the hand strength to operate the slides! She was basically limited to .380 or .22LR in semi-autos or revolvers.
    So, they went the revolver route. To make a long story short, after much more handling/shooting, she ended up with a 3" Taurus Judge. Mean woman! LOL
    Personally, I think one of the most overlooked firearms, for people of smaller stature with limited experience, is the CZ 82/83 series pistol. Reasonably effective calibers, light recoil, good ergonomics, 12-shot mags. High quality 9x18 and .380+P defensive ammo is available. Just my take.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IMHO Hands down a revolver is the best nightstand handgun for anyone, regardless of experience...

Revolvers never have a failure to feed or have a magazine spring go south from sitting loaded for long periods.

Buy a .357 and start her off with .38 special loads and work her up to .357 defense rounds.

They're lots of grip options for revolvers, unlike the plastic fantastic semi autos that are all the rage...

The S&W Lady Smith is a great .357/.38 Special Revolver...

I bought one for each of my 4 daughters after they shot one at the local gun store/range ... they love em.

You are correct that revolvers never have a failure to feed. But they can get jammed do to dust/lint getting into the mechanism. Or when some small junk gets into them. And when revolvers have an issue, THEY STOP WORKING. Any good training course will deal with stoppages and malfunctions. Or have you not heard of Tap, Rack, Bang?

So, how long does it take for magazine spring to lose tension from storage? Maybe check some of the threads here on MDS about that topic. I personally have magazines that were fully loaded for over 20 years that still function fine. Others have reports mags loaded for more than 50 years without issues.

So out of the millions of people out there, there is ONE right answer? REALLY????? I guess you bought every daughter the same car. And the same cell phone. And the same computer. And the same clothes.

If you had given my ex a Lady Smith, you might have ended up with it in an uncomfortable place. Her personal purchases included a Sig P229 in .40. And Para Ordnance P-14 .45 Steel Frame.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If I tried to give Mrs Biggfoot a semi , it would get place in an uncomfortable place, she has been shooting revolvers since 8yo .

lim144

Jan 3, 2014
    Train her and let her pick. My 100lb 5 foot 4 friend shoots glock 17 and my 5.5 wife shoots HK USP 45

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Think you will find the training suggestions will get the best results and one step farther, if you find a female instructor even better.
    My diminutive niece hated the Bodygiard 38 revolver, recoil even with low recoil ammo, was too snappy and her wrist hurt. But she loves her standard size 9 mm semiauto. Even carried it during her successful ibex hunt.
    My wife went thru 22s, 380s, 9mm and did ok with comment "Ho Hum"; meanwhile, I was shooting my Officer model 1911 colt. Let me shoot that. Oh, I like this 45 and how about that light weight 45? Now, she's says, "this is my choice Star PD .45acp"
    Totally surprised me. That was 35 years ago.

We had similar experiences with women students.

When tutored correctly (good grip, move up in recoil) many liked the full size 1911. A few with smaller hands ended up with Browning HiPowers.

NONE ended up with a revolver or "lady's gun."

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Worst advise I have seen in some time. "the sound of racking" is not universally know among druggies and announces your position - is it worth it? Aiming a shotgun at close range is essential. Shotgun spread is only about 1" per yard. So, inside a home, range is very short and pattern very small.

But aiming a long gun is a more natural thing, that does not require as much training or practice.

I have seen people, at a range, miss a full size silhouette target at 5 yards with a handgun.

It is not about the shotgun spread, it is about hitting the target for someone who is not going to the range very often.

Hench the other suggestions of a PCC.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If I tried to give Mrs Biggfoot a semi , it would get place in an uncomfortable place, she has been shooting revolvers since 8yo .

EXACTLY.

It is HER choice.

Although my ex did give me a Python for my 40th. :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    After handling many at a big gun show, we determined she did not have the hand strength to operate the slides! She was basically limited to .380 or .22LR in semi-autos or revolvers.
    So, they went the revolver route.

We found that woman had more trouble with .380s than 9s. The .380s are typically blowback, so the only thing keeping the chamber closed when fired is the spring. 9s have lighter springs due to the locked breech.

We found in instructing, how they attempt to rack the slide makes a huge difference.

Many woman cannot rack the slide with the traditional thumb and forefinger, pulling back. But, if the grasp the slide with their whole hand, and push their hands together, they can do it.

Video by a woman.

j&ksmall

Feb 18, 2013
    Shoot various pistols, over a range of cartridges, and settle in on something she feels comfortable with and shoots effectively. Women on Target and The Well Armed Woman groups often have gun buffets where she can handle a variety all in one session and speak with the owners to discuss their reasons for choosing something in particular. These sometimes are done at a range so firing is available.

Women often respond best to talking these kinds of things with other women.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    If it is staying beside the bed, do NOT pick a compact of any kind, UNLESS that is what fits her hand the best, AND she has a chance to shoot it, and isn't recoil-adverse. I'm with all of those people who said to let her pick the one she feels the most comfortable shooting...

Finding a women's shooting event near you is also a great idea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom