Will a primer go off no matter how slow the deformation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I have disassembled a primer with a pick and scraped the compound out after soaking in clp. It is pressure sensitive so If there is enough pressure it can go boom. In the abcs of reloading I think there was a tale of a fellow carrying a pale of primers. One went off and caused a chain reaction. I think it said they only found parts of the guy.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    A friend of mine seated some primers upside down in some casings during reloading process. I watched him successfully deprime a couple on his press. He took it very, very slowly. He did say he had one pop one other time but for the most part he got them out OK.

Bede5man

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 29, 2016
    Catonsville, MD
    No, if I wanted to make dummy rounds I would just punch out the primer while full length resizing the case. Then I would put the case in V blocks in the drillpress and drill some holes around it.

I was just always curious about the actual mechanism of ignition of the primer pellet.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I have crushed them completely flat in a bench vise before without setting them off.

If you want a dummy, load it with no primer of just seat a fired primer.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Likely the stupidest post I've ever read on MDS! Why oh why would any sane person ever fool with a primer? Sure, go ahead and mess around, IF you don't value your eyes, ears and face. I've heard em all now.

Lew--Ranger63

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Likely the stupidest post I've ever read on MDS! Why oh why would any sane person ever fool with a primer?

To gain knowledge.

Years ago, before people had the Internet in their homes, I had heard stories of people who had set off primers seating them into cases.

I could not see how this was possible and did a controlled test, had eye and ear protection on and crushed a primer completely flat without setting it off. To this day, more than 30 years later, I still have yet to set off a primer seating it.

That said now that we have the Internet we can google many examples of people who have lit off a primer or entire tube of primers seating them.

From my "stupid" tests, and over 30 years of actual use, I can only conclude that it is not just the force applied to the primers that set them off but also the speed that the force is applied.

It did arm me with knowledge that not everyone had/has and I figured it was important to know since I "fool" with primers every time I reload.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Relevant and extremely informative

Yep around 11:20. Crush is ok just don't try and grind them.

Also, did something similar to the fire part myself but not out in the open like that. Case pops like a blown capacitor and bullet does nothing.

IMG_20160606_131616_655-1_zpskvcgcjzp.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes..

I didn't try to pop it..just went directly to trash..

Have you tried to light a wet match? Same practically same. Me thinks.

If you did not pop it, you have no idea if it was deactivated or not.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you want insane you might like seating a primer with a few "taps" of a hammer.

http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/RE1423.pdf

At least they tell you to beat them in before adding powder...

I have set off primers when using a wack-a-mole reloader, some brands are more sensitive than others, it is no big deal. Makes a noise but nothing goes shooting out either end of the case, it is seated in a holder and you have a rod stuck in the other end of the case.

Mike4Maryland

Harford County, MD USA
    Apr 5, 2013
    I was told to never ever play with primers. I think that is good advice.

I agree. Primers are EXPLOSIVES! The come in small trays and should stay that way. Don't take them out and place them in a jar or other container to save space. Messin' around with them can get you hurt. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom