Will R77 require any document when I voluntary register a handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I can't believe anyone responded to that illiterate OP. Either way, I dont think an R 77 can be registered, although if you have an Su-35S to mount it on, maybe you have some pull others do not.

Well they get post counts for ANY response. To many people that's most important

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'm disappointed to see the rude responses to legitimate questions from someone for whom English is obviously not his first language.

Efeng9622, many of these responses were not-so-clever jokes suggesting you just keep the gun and do nothing. They were based on the fact that no paperwork was required for a private handgun transfer before 1996. Likewise, if someone moved to Maryland before 10/1/2013, he was not required to "register" any handgun he brought from his previous state of residence.

If you meet either of those conditions, you are not required to do anything: the gun is legal for you to possess.

If you decide you should or want to register it, I don't think the State Police will require any documentation. I think they will just check the serial number to be sure it wasn't stolen, and they'll check your background (to be sure YOU weren't stolen, perhaps).

I'm not certain about that, however.

So it's your decision. If your friend gave it to you before October 1, 1996 you aren't required to register it. If you moved here from another state before October 1, 2013 and brought the gun with you, then again, you don't have to register it.

Otherwise, I think you technically are supposed to "register the transfer" but I doubt anyone will ever question you about it.

EDIT TO ADD

Looking back at your original post, it sounds like your relative just died and left you the gun. If indeed you have had the gun since 1996, etc, then do nothing.

But it sounds like this is a recent inheritance from a relative. Depending on how close the relative is (brother? Fourth cousin?), or in any case, I THINK inheritance is pretty simple and straightforward.

I honestly don't think the police will give you any trouble as long as you don't have any outstanding warrants.

Someone who knows more about inheriting guns in Maryland could clear this up.

Last edited:

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Threebond,

I already looked at the register form , I don’t have to attach any document while I submit the form, but don’t know if the police department will ask me submit late. I moved to MD on 2017 and own this rifle recently, I can’t sell it if I don’t register , right?
    I don't have any criminal record .
    I am going to first try the volunteer register in stead of inheriting.
    Thank you for giving so many good suggestions

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Threebond,

I already looked at the register form , I don’t have to attach any document while I submit the form, but don’t know if the police department will ask me submit late. I moved to MD on 2017 and own this rifle recently, I can’t sell it if I don’t register , right?
    efeng9622::
    Is this a rifle or is it a handgun? It makes a difference.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Threebond,

If this is a rifle or shotgun you don't need to do anything at all.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I'm disappointed to see the rude responses to legitimate questions from someone for whom English is obviously not his first language.

Efeng9622, many of these responses were not-so-clever jokes suggesting you just keep the gun and do nothing. They were based on the fact that no paperwork was required for a private handgun transfer before 1996. Likewise, if someone moved to Maryland before 10/1/2013, he was not required to "register" any handgun he brought from his previous state of residence.

If you meet either of those conditions, you are not required to do anything: the gun is legal for you to possess.

If you decide you should or want to register it, I don't think the State Police will require any documentation. I think they will just check the serial number to be sure it wasn't stolen, and they'll check your background (to be sure YOU weren't stolen, perhaps).

I'm not certain about that, however.

So it's your decision. If your friend gave it to you before October 1, 1996 you aren't required to register it. If you moved here from another state before October 1, 2013 and brought the gun with you, then again, you don't have to register it.

Otherwise, I think you technically are supposed to "register the transfer" but I doubt anyone will ever question you about it.

EDIT TO ADD

Looking back at your original post, it sounds like your relative just died and left you the gun. If indeed you have had the gun since 1996, etc, then do nothing.

But it sounds like this is a recent inheritance from a relative. Depending on how close the relative is (brother? Fourth cousin?), or in any case, I THINK inheritance is pretty simple and straightforward.

I honestly don't think the police will give you any trouble as long as you don't have any outstanding warrants.

Someone who knows more about inheriting guns in Maryland could clear this up.
    Thank you for exhibiting class and respect. Both are exceedingly rare commodities on this site.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Threebond,

As others have said, rifles and shotguns do not need to be registered. Only handguns need to be registered.
    If it is a rifle, you do not have to do anything.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Can't believe we got through an entire page before we got a legitimate answer. English is clearly not his first language.

Jakers07

MDS Supporter
    Mar 9, 2021
    Would someone kindly explain the 1996 reference? I thought 77r didn't exist before 2013.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Before 1996 you could do face-to-face handgun sales without paperwork.
    77R has been required for dealer sales of handguns since the 1980s.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Until 1996, we could do face-to-face private handgun sales with no stinking paperwork.

Any handgun you might have had before 1996 could have come from anywhere, and no one can question your possession of if, assuming you're otherwise not prohibited.

Likewise, if you moved to Maryland before 2013, you could bring handguns with you from your previous residence with no requirement to register them.

Jakers07

MDS Supporter
    Mar 9, 2021
    Before 1996 you could do face-to-face handgun sales without paperwork.
    77R has been required for dealer sales of handguns since the 1980s.

Until 1996, we could do face-to-face private handgun sales with no stinking paperwork.

Any handgun you might have had before 1996 could have come from anywhere, and no one can question your possession of if, assuming you're otherwise not prohibited.

Likewise, if you moved to Maryland before 2013, you could bring handguns with you from your previous residence with no requirement to register them.
    Thanks.

How about 1996 and/or 2013 implications on inheritance?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Would someone kindly explain the 1996 reference? I thought 77r didn't exist before 2013.

The predecessor paper forms ( and 7 day Cooling Off Period ) have been around since 1966 .

From 1966 to 1996 it applied to purchases from Dealers , but not private " secondary" transactions . 10/01/96 was expanded that all private sales/ gifts/ trades/ etc had to also go thru the 77R process .

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Thanks.

How about 1996 and/or 2013 implications on inheritance?

I think inheritance is completely separate. Inheritance is something I really don't know anything about, except that I think it's pretty straightforward for close relatives.

You can look at the 77r online. They have a category for inheritance.

I really do not think the MSP is going to ask questions about where the gun came from, as long as it's not on the list of stoken guns. I think they only care about where it's going.

I think people worry that they're going to be interrogated about where they got the gun they've had for years, or where Grampa got the gun, why it was never registered, and so on.

I'm just a dog on the internet, but I don't see that happening. Not only do the MSP have better things to do, but they know perfectly well that so-called "registration" has never been generally required in Maryland, and it still is not.

In general, guns do not need to be "registered" to be legally possessed in Maryland.

If you show up at the barracks with Grampa's old Luger in the trunk of your car and say you want to "register" it, I don't see them asking where you got it. They know there was never a requirement to register it, so they will not expect you to have any paperwork on it. They will check to see if it's stolen, and they'll check to see if YOU have any warrants (they do catch some wanted people that way), but otherwise, they'll just "register" the damn thing

That is my non-lawyer view of it.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Can I directly sell this handgun without registration ? if I can , I don't have to register now and can do it sometimes late while I have to sell it. right? Maybe I can't . When I talked to a gun shop this question , they just said you can register it first .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom