Will the New York ruling ever take place in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Hold on to your ass….they just did.
    I saw that. I asked my brother if his department had gotten any word on it yet. So far they haven't got any guidance. My guess is that the permits will go to the State Police though.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Hopefully MD will drag its feet on compliance long enough for the Court to at least issue a preliminary injunction. Earning some ill will with the Court will not help MD, as NY found out with the games they played the first time around with SCOTUS.
    Frosh just can't help immolating himself.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    This state will add every obstacle possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well the state AG will start going by the courts rules. And will tell the GA they have no choice. The GA will try to pass a law or two to restrict it, and the AG office will tell them to be careful. The GA will try something and hopefully Hogan will veto.

Hogan I think has bigger ideas, and allowing/signing something against this would not be a good way to get any votes from republicans.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I’m well aware as I’ve also been to Annapolis and testified and I’ve seen Atterbeary’s hatred of gun owners.
    My point is they could’ve passed all of this years ago but they haven’t.
    Many reasons for that. Some members aren’t full on gun haters, some realize the optics of trying to pass everything at once, others simply don’t want to take it that far, and there may be one or two who actually give a sh*t what we say when we testify. (Ok the last one is debatable lol)
    Every year people here claim the sky is falling in Annapolis this year. Some years are bad and others don’t see any gun legislation passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think Attarbeary actually hates gun owners. I submit she's drinking deeply from Bloomberg's and Curran's money wells.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Agreed. Thought it was hilarous several years ago when UB Sleaze failed in the MGA and she went and pitched a fit in the press and tossed her fellow leftists under the bus. LOL
    Yeah, good times. This upcoming session will be great fun to watch. I wonder when the prefiling will start? :popcorn:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Well the state AG will start going by the courts rules. And will tell the GA they have no choice. The GA will try to pass a law or two to restrict it, and the AG office will tell them to be careful. The GA will try something and hopefully Hogan will veto.

Hogan I think has bigger ideas, and allowing/signing something against this would not be a good way to get any votes from republicans.
    This last year was Hogan's last session. The next Governor will be a Democrat and happily sign any and all firearms legislation into law.

beavisman1

Band Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 25, 2022
    Virginia
    Exactly
    This last year was Hogan's last session. The next Governor will be a Democrat and happily sign any and all firearms legislation into law.
    Exactly! Made that point in another recent post. People probably forgot what it was like having a Democrat not only willing to sign any and everything but also outright cheerleading and demanding that every and all manner of infringement be passed under the B/S guise of "common sense gun safety" or whatever bullcrap term they will be using. MOM pushed hard, and I suspect the next Dem is going to be even worse, particularly given the recent ruling and of course Uvalde. Get ready.

beavisman1

Band Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 25, 2022
    Virginia
    Yeah, good times. This upcoming session will be great fun to watch. I wonder when the prefiling will start? :popcorn:
    Suspect we will start seeing drafted near final bills showing up right before the session starts, however, unless I am mistaken I think sometimes they will hold off the worst of the worst until a few weeks in. Screw 'em, they can enjoy the new THT standard of review.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

The only bigger destiny for him is getting fatter, he'll never win another election.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The only bigger destiny for him is getting fatter, he'll never win another election.
    I see him as a human chihuahua; he burns enough calories worrying that there may be people living life other than the way he wants them to, that he'll never get fat. A Leftist equivalent of the nosy church lady.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    They can try. They’ll get smacked down.

Do legislators have any kind of immunity they can lose by depriving citizens of rights, intentionally, under color of law?
    Generally legislators have immunity for making bad laws, except at election time.

The duty of enforcing suspect law falls on the executive branch and its officials. It is they who face legal jeopardy for violations of federal rights under color of unconstitutional state laws. It is also their duty to recognize where an existing state law is in conflict with federal law and to decline to enforce unconstitutional laws.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Generally legislators have immunity for making bad laws, except at election time.

The duty of enforcing suspect law falls on the executive branch and its officials. It is they who face legal jeopardy for violations of federal rights under color of unconstitutional state laws. It is also their duty to recognize where an existing state law is in conflict with federal law and to decline to enforce unconstitutional laws.
    I figured. Too bad they don’t lose that when they are just being spiteful.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Where in the constitution does it state that you need training to exercise a right?
    Bingo.
    If you carry, you SHOULD get/have training. It benefits the person exercising their right.

That said, there are miles of difference between SHOULD and SHALL.

The requirement to get training as dictated by the state (i.e. approval by a state officer) is, by definition, unconstitutional. Literally the opinion of the supreme court.

This concept aligns with "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". Similarly "just because you can doesn't mean you have to"

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I can’t remember if I’ve told this story here before but for dog walkers, you might enjoy this. My friend was out walking his dog, Lucas, a 110 lb. male rottie. I met him a number of times, real goofball and a sweetie. Anyway, he’s walking Lucas along his usual route. Lucas likes to cut through this one lot and then comes and joins him further down.

So by now, my friend is walking down the sidewalk and notices 3 guys who had been standing on the corner split up. Two cross the road ahead of him to his side and start slowly walking toward him. The other had walked briskly down the other side, passed him, and crossed the road and starts walking up behind him. He said at this point his hair starts standing on end. He was tring to figure out what do do when Lucas casually strolls up beside him. He said he didn’t even have time to say or do anything. Lucas started growling and walking kind of stiff legged toward the two approaching him, fur standing up. He said all 3 abruptly did 180s and left the scene. Sometimes things have a happy ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom