Winchester 1894 from 1919 Guess at value?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    I love lever guns and I dont have a Winchester in the safe yet.

Came across an 1894 carbine with a SN of 866xxx, which puts it at 1919. Gun appeared to be original, had the loop on the left side, Caliber was 30WCF (30-30?) "nickel stainless barrel for smokeless powder" 20" barrel. All markings still very visible and in good shape. Had "G L" on the buttplate and the number under the lever behind the trigger matched the last two of the SN. No idea if that is an inspection number or supposed to match the SN.

Bluing on barrel was relatively even, but Id say about 60+% Maybe like about what a good sino soviet looks like from Classic.

Bluing on the receiver and buttplate was all but gone, maybe 5%, Looked more like a stainless gun. No pitting on the metal, but did look like a faint bit of patina? was starting to form? COULD have been dried oil but didnt wipe off, and thats not something you go buffing. Lever had a little more blue but not much

Wood was very nice considering its age, lighter color, maybe a few scratches but no gouges, dings or nicks. It fit very well too, no gaps or anything that looked odd. Overall it was a good looking gun, like something someone took decent care of.

Looking down the barrel with the action open I saw rifling but couldnt see much else. I didnt have a bore light and the shop was busy and I was short on time to pick up the kiddos.

Shop was asking $850. I dont know if thats in the ballpark or not. All the ones I see for $thousands$ still had bluing, and all the ones I see for $500-$750 are postwar from the 50s or 60s. I dont know that Ive seen one this old in person.

wish i could have gotten some pics.

any thoughts/guesses on what its worth ?

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I saw one from 1922 go at auction this past fall for $650.00 in about the same condition. I paid $500.00 for my 1957 that is in what I would call good condition from one of our IP's here. I thought what I paid was very reasonable based on what I have seen in the past. Receiver and butt plate are normal areas for wear on these as the bottom of the receiver is where most people carried them in their hand. Good luck. Never hurts to make an offer for less. Especially if it is in on consignment.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    that at least gives me some perspective. I could see giving them $500-$600 for it. Despite the missing bluing it was in great shape but I doubt theyd drop the price that much. Might give it a shot and see what happens regardless, of course Id like another CMP Garand too or a VZ-2008 LOL. Decisions decisions... Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    I understand it isnt stainless, I just meant the bluing is worn on the rcvr to the point it looks like a stainless gun

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom