• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cordite

Mar 28, 2009
    Timoniumland
    I just was given a Winchester Model 1897 Black Diamond tournament grade in good condition with a great bore. It's a 12 ga.; 30 inch barrel, full choke gun. Serial number indicates it was made in 1921. Gunsmith says there is nothing wrong with it and should be good to go. My question is what would you shoot in it? It's chambered for 2 3/4 inch shells but I am a little leery of pulling the trigger. I wouldn't use slugs in it but it might make for a great duck/goose gun. Anybody have any info they would be wiling to impart? Does it matter if it's low brass or high brass? (I am told it makes no difference).

Thanks much.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I would only use light target loads in that gun. Most field loads, including buckshot and slugs run pressures much higher than the shells that gun was designed to shoot 90 years ago. You're not going to blow it up, but the higher pressures will kill it nonetheless. The key is to keep pressures under 8000psi.

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    Do not shoot steel shot whatever you do! epending on condtion that is a valuable gun the older steel will not tolerate steel shot any choke will be swaged out of the barrel. Use light target loads and you should be fine.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    If you want to shoot ducks or geese, your ammo choices are Bismuth, Heavy Shot Classic Doubles (no other heavy shot loads are safe but the CD) Nice shot, and ITX.
    You need a shot type that is relatively soft like lead or you could bulge the barrel in front of the choke.
    Low pressure loads will be better, RST loads nice shot in good low pressure duck loads.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    As others have said, keep to the lighter loads, I shoot mainly 1 oz low pressure reloads in mine.
    By the way you were given a hell of a gun and the black diamond version if unmolested is highly desirable. I have a field model that I love to shoot, managed to run 25 straight with it at trap, that fixed full choke just makes the bird disappear. Enjoy it!
    DSCN0825.jpg

Cordite

Mar 28, 2009
    Timoniumland
    Good infiormation. Thanks, fellas. I'll post a few pics.

I might could set it up securely and tie a rope to the trigger but the smith said it should be good to go.

ArmyMSG

Oct 19, 2009
    Harford Co.
    Its a real beauty! I shoot my grandfathers 1915 vintage Model 12 with the target loads from WalMart, either 7.5 or 8's. Never had a problem with it, and wins at turkey shoots. Don't take it lightly, it was a working mans gun for over 90% of it's life, hunting every year. It saw the bottom of the Susquehanna Flats in it younger years more times than my dad can remember. He's 75, and I'm the 3rd owner. It saw many a goose hunts up until about 10 years ago when it was replaced with a 1100. That being said, if it were mine, I'd use it little as it is pretty rare, and in great shape. Winchester produced the 1897 up until around 1951 for the military, and stopped production in 57. Like the M12, it just a good solid gun! At the last turkey shoot, 6 of the 12 shotguns were M12s, and they won every round but 2. The old guys just love to see em' there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom