• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    On Sunday (November 6, 2011) the WINTER SKEET LEAGUE starts at the Loch Raven Skeet and Trap Center. Anyone can participate. It doesn't matter if you are a National Skeet Shooting Association (NSSA) member or not.

Winter Skeet League will be held on the following eight Sunday's:

November 6th and 20th
    December 4th and 18th
    January 8th and 22nd
    February 5th and 26th.

Shooting takes place from 10am until noon. There will be 50 targets each day and the entry fee is $12 per day. Division I for NSSA registered shooters will be handicapped based on your 2012 NSSA class. Division II for unregistered shooters will be based on the prior week's score. Two man team competition will also be avaialble. Estate shells will be awarded as prizes at each event. Trophies at the end of the season for Division Champ, Runner-up and Junior (16 and under). Minimum of 250 targets to qualify for a trophy. There will be an awards luncheon provided on the last day of the league.

Just because it's getting colder outside doesn't mean you can't keep shooting and have some fun, meet new people, and maybe even win a prize! Just get yourself a hat (and some good shooting gloves). C'mon out!

Last edited:

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Just a reminder that this Sunday, November 20, 2011 is the second shoot day of Loch Raven Skeet & Trap's Winter Skeet League.

Just scroll up to the first post for more information. I look forward to seeing you there!

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    When it counts, I suck with shotguns. When I'm by myself, I look like a pro

Ain't that the truth! And then no one believes you when you tell them, "I shot 23/25 yesterday" after they just watched you shoot an 18.

But...I've been told by several shooters with wayyyyy more experience than I have that the best way to really improve your skills is to shoot in tournaments and leagues. Adding that element of competition, even if it's only casual competition, helps you step up your game. I have to agree with that. My father was a champion on the army pistol team and when he was teaching me to shoot many years ago he always said to shoot with people who are better than you. I've always tried to follow that advice - and it works. The friends I shoot clays with on a regular basis are all better and more experienced than me. I've learned a lot from them and I know it's added a couple of hits to my scores.

So...the punchline. You should come out to the Winter Skeet League and have some fun!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Well did better today. Shot a 17 on the second round (with the Zoli).
    Then went to AGC and shot a 23 at trap (with the Beretta).
    I am getting used to switching back and forth between the two games.
    Two different mind sets.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Just a reminder that this Sunday, December 4, 2011 is the third shoot day of Loch Raven Skeet & Trap's Winter Skeet League.

Just scroll up to the first post for more information. I look forward to seeing you there!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Gawd. Did awful today.
    Did Ok practicing on Friday using the Beretta instead of the Zoli, but today, I couldn't hit much of anything. Maybe it was the 5 rounds of trap I shot on Saturday.
    Better luck next week I guess.

Secret weapon for next week. Switching from #8 to #9 shot for skeet.

RetNavyHD

Dec 7, 2008
    North East, MD
    Gawd. Did awful today.
    Did Ok practicing on Friday using the Beretta instead of the Zoli, but today, I couldn't hit much of anything. Maybe it was the 5 rounds of trap I shot on Saturday.

Secret weapon advice...focus on the clay, shot size doesn't matter and you will second guess yourself when you do miss. I use LM and 7 1/2 for everything!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Secret weapon advice...focus on the clay, shot size doesn't matter and you will second guess yourself when you do miss. I use LM and 7 1/2 for everything!

As most instructors recommend, I use #8 with a IM, LF or Full for trap and was using #8 with skeet choke for skeet, but am switiching to #9. Probably won't make a lof difference, but it was the same price as the #8.
    For trap, LM may be OK from the 16yd line but further back it would seem to be too open. Probably fine for skeet, but I prefer a more open choke for that game.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Gawd. Did awful today.

Sorry you did awful. It's amazing how things work. I have days I do pretty well - even though I usually end up missing a couple I really shouldn't have missed. But then...there's those days where once the wheels come off the bus you're just screwed. I think it's really 20% technique and 80% mental. I managed to keep it under control today. In the second game I ran the first 12 then missed the high house on station 5. Then I missed it AGAIN on the option. But I was proud of myself. I didn't let the wheels fly off. I composed myself, hit the low 5 and ran the last 11. It really is mental.

I managed to make the shoot-off (44/50 but my handicap brought it up to 49/50) but didn't get past the first pair of targets this time. I really should practice shooting doubles more. Sigh...

RetNavyHD

Dec 7, 2008
    North East, MD
    As most instructors recommend, I use #8 with a IM, LF or Full for trap and was using #8 with skeet choke for skeet, but am switiching to #9. Probably won't make a lof difference, but it was the same price as the #8.
    For trap, LM may be OK from the 16yd line but further back it would seem to be too open. Probably fine for skeet, but I prefer a more open choke for that game.

Tighter the further back you go is correct....I don't shoot much trap or skeet as it is a boring sport compared to sporting clays. I do plenty well in both just don't have the desire to shoot it often unless I'm having trouble with a trap target is sporting then I may shoot a couple rounds of trap.

Good luck in your search for perfection!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Tighter the further back you go is correct....I don't shoot much trap or skeet as it is a boring sport compared to sporting clays. I do plenty well in both just don't have the desire to shoot it often unless I'm having trouble with a trap target is sporting then I may shoot a couple rounds of trap.

Good luck in your search for perfection!

I wish there were SCs closer than PG for me. I think I am shooting there with Augie on the 9th, weather permitting.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Just a reminder that this Sunday, December 18, 2011 is the fourth shoot day of Loch Raven Skeet & Trap's Winter Skeet League.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Just a reminder that this Sunday, January8, 2012 is the fifth shoot day of Loch Raven Skeet & Trap's Winter Skeet League.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Just a reminder that this Sunday, January 22, 2012 is the sixth shoot day of Loch Raven Skeet & Trap's Winter Skeet League.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Just a reminder that this Sunday, January 22, 2012 is the sixth shoot day of Loch Raven Skeet & Trap's Winter Skeet League.

I'm ready. I bought the new Federal Red, White and Blue shells. They will make the bird stand up and salute so I can hit it.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Does the Winter League occupy every Skeet range there?

Yes. On League Sundays all 5 skeet fields are reserved for league shooters from 10:00 am until noon. Usually there are two flights of shooters and then a shoot-off once all the scores are recorded. But the number of shooters can vary and sometimes a field gets freed up before noon.

Naturally, after noon all of the skeet fields reopen for regular shooters. Oh...trap, wobble and 5-stand fields are open to all regular shooters at 10:00 am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tharper429

Latest threads

Top Bottom