• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Here's a couple of late 1950's Whitney Wolverine pistols, chambered for 22LR. These use a cast aluminum frame and are very lightweight, as expected. Supposedly they are one of the fastest, smoothest firing 22's out there but I haven't had the courage to shoot mine yet - parts are hard to find if something breaks. And there are some breakage-prone parts for sure. An interesting, innovative design that died due to poor company management and competition from that pesky Ruger. Note that it seems like a small pistol because of it's proportions, but it's about the size of a 92F and has a 5" barrel - see comparison to my 1938 TT-33 (that seems like a good yardstick for this forum :innocent0 ).

These are supposedly a bit tricky to tear down, as all sorts of little bits and pieces go flying once released from the barrel housing. I think mine are clean enough to just leave em alone for now :)

Only about 13,000 made all told, and of those maybe a 1,000 or so with the "Wolverine" on the right side. They were forced to remove it due to a copyright infringement. The S/N is interesting as it starts at 100,000 (the "Wolverine" markings) and then drops back to the 20,000's. A marketing ploy that didn't fool anyone. About 500 were made with nickel plating towards the end of production, all in a specific S/N range, in an unsuccessful effort to improve sales. I've missed out on two of these nickel pistols, but someday ...

Anybody out there ever shoot one of these things? It seems like you either love it or hate it...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      78.8 KB · Views: 818
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      85.6 KB · Views: 807
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      62.1 KB · Views: 846
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      73.1 KB · Views: 761
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      103.3 KB · Views: 827

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    YESSSSS!!! Have unsuccessfully bid on original Wolverines a couple of times this year but I will not be denied eventually. They are sooo cool. Forget the abortion that Olympic built. They could have done it right but chose to cut corners and built a cheap clone. This is the real deal. I bow to your sense of taste when it comes to all things handgun! :bowdown:

Jul 1, 2012
    The prices have really gone up the last few months for some reason. I was shocked that the nickel-plated one on GB went for over $1600 a few weeks ago. I kind of wanted that :) But I guess two other guys did too.

BTW - I have "Olympic" as an exclusion filter on my Wolverine search engine ...

Last edited:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    The closest I ever came was owning a Zebra II toy gun in the 70s. It shot little rubber pellets. When I first saw the Wolverine, I thought immediately of the Zebra.

zebra.JPG

Jul 1, 2012
    The closest I ever came was owning a Zebra II toy gun in the 70s. It shot little rubber pellets. When I first saw the Wolverine, I thought immediately of the Zebra.

It does look identical ! Even has the same "action knob" handles at the back. Pretty cool.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Reminds me of the Neos, too.

You just wanna take it out into the backyard, chasing your friends around making "pew! pew!" noises.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I thought Neos as well, so your gonna have to get one of those too :)

James bond movie should have had one of these

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom