• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • empty5853

Aug 22, 2007
    Mechanicsville
    Hello,
    Let me just start by saying that I realize this topic has been discussed many times before and also let me acknowledge that it IS an individuals right to sell or not to sell to whomever they wish but this is a new response to the question " why won't you sell to a C&R".

I was interested in bidding on a shotgun on gun brokers. In his ad the gentleman stated in CAPITAL letters " NO C&R'S". I sent him a very polite question saying simply "why no C & R's? It's legal under the ATF guidelines"

He replied politely that it's his policy because C & R license's are to easy to fake and there's no way to verify them. That's a new one for me. I thought the only difference between my 03 license and an 01 license is the number. Mine has an 03 vs. an 01. Yes, there is other wording signifying that mine is for C&R while the 01 is a dealer but other then that. They look the same. Why is mine easier to counterfeit then an 01 license?

And can't it be verified the same way they do for an 01 license?

Please educate me. I'm confused.

Thanks for your time in reading this long rant.

Take care.

Vr
    Mark T.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I would not have thought that the counterfeiting of an FFL 03 was that widespread of a problem.
    I guess in the long run the seller can choose who to sell to and who not to sell to.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Yep... if the seller wants to exercise an abundance of concern, that is his prerogative. There are plenty of shotguns in the sea. But by the same token, if someone presents him with a signed C&R that is fake and he records it in his book in good faith, I do not see where he has committed any infraction or crime... that would be the responsibility of the forger and I seriously doubt that ATF would have an issue with him if he had no reason to suspect the authenticity of the documents he was presented.

Jul 1, 2012
    Previous comments correct, FFL-03's aren't part of the EZ system and aren't listed in the big spreadsheet of FFL's (which is good).
    That's why some folks insist on a copy of the DL too with an FFL-03.
    Not that you can't fake both.

I believe you can call the ATF directly to verify specific FFL-03 info, it's just not in the publicly-available databases.

On GunBroker the seller has access to the buyers name and address. If you are a "verified" buyer (confirmed CC & name/address info) then the chances are very small that someone has gone to the trouble of creating a fake identity, faking the FFL-03 (and credit card) just to buy a shotgun. So while it is the seller's choice, it's kind of silly. If it was some other venue without some checks & balances then yeah, I can see being more cautious.

Feb 28, 2013
    Yep... if the seller wants to exercise an abundance of concern, that is his prerogative. There are plenty of shotguns in the sea. But by the same token, if someone presents him with a signed C&R that is fake and he records it in his book in good faith, I do not see where he has committed any infraction or crime... that would be the responsibility of the forger and I seriously doubt that ATF would have an issue with him if he had no reason to suspect the authenticity of the documents he was presented.

I'd have to go with that, especially if there's supposedly no way to verify those.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Some FFLs (01) also have a hard on for C&Rs thinking it cuts into their business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom