• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XCRmonger

Proud EPR Owner
    Jan 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    So a few weeks ago I bought myself a Springfield XD40. Out of the box, I was very impressed. Very nice looking and so dang easy to break down. Simple is a huge factor for me - I love something that is simple and still great quality. That's the first thing I look for.

So we took my new toy to the mountains on our 4th of July camping trip. Being a 40, I knew there would be some kick, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. A firm grip and a solid stance had the targets (pop cans :D ) flying up in the air.

So now, when I say "Say hello to my lil' friend"...
    l_9e084ed0e195cf06255218a8f1ba0820.jpg

l_c5d7480e5a992912a6b063452db69ea7.jpg

next up I am thinking a S&W 44 Magnum. :party29:

focusr3

Apr 23, 2008
    I really like my xd40 great shooter it does have alot of muzzle flip. I am considering the dons guide rod. If you didn't already check out xdtalk.com

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    i have it's bigger brother, the XD-45 tactical and am mucho happy with it...though i'll probably look at the XDM in it's (currently) default .40 S&W at some point...

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    I am thinking about the new XDM

I love the original XD, but now that XDM when it is approved in MD I know I will be in line to get one. The XD fits in my hand great, but with the Adjustable back straps and the Match barrel it has to be even a better fit and improved accuracy .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    A friend of mine picked up an XD40 a couple of weeks ago and he's pretty happy with it. The price was right, it's simple for him to use and clean, and based on the target he showed me from his first day of shooting it, it shoots pretty good too. Seems like a win/win situation to me.

Keep us posted on how you like it as time goes on and you use it more.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    My XD 9mm service was my first purchase earlier this year. I'm very happy with it and Dan at TGC did a great job helping a first timer through the paperwork and basics.

If I ever get my FL non-resident CCW I might get the XD40 SC.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Get the Pierce grip extenders for the 9 rd mags, they will make the gun look sexier!

I am totally in love with my XD9 sub...( but I need more range time with my lil guy)

Oh and leather holsters! Put the 2 together and...!

( I am female too btw)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    next up I am thinking a S&W 44 Magnum. :party29:
    Wow - I missed that on my first read through. YES - definitely a S&W .44 Magnum! Do you have a particular model in mind? I have an old S&W .44 Magnum - so old in fact that technically it isn't a Model 29. Mine was made in 1956 and they didn't designate it as the Model 29 until 1957. Dad bought it brand new in a gun store in Houston, TX - according to him, it was one of the first ones ever sold in that city, and he chose the one with the lowest serial number.

I have a fond appreciation for mine - it has the best trigger of any gun I own and it is very accurate. I had given some thought to sending it back to S&W to have it reblued, but they recommended leaving it as is - it's old enough that they were worried that in the process of trying to strip, buff and reblue, that they might ruin it.

XCRmonger

Proud EPR Owner
    Jan 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    My dad has a 1988 - he bought it on the occasion of my birth. :D it's not easy to protect the most perfect child ever born. :p

Either way... he said he has it designated to me in his will... but I don't think I can wait that long. I would like one similar to his if not exactly the same :)

XCRmonger

Proud EPR Owner
    Jan 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Get the Pierce grip extenders for the 9 rd mags, they will make the gun look sexier!

I am totally in love with my XD9 sub...( but I need more range time with my lil guy)

Oh and leather holsters! Put the 2 together and...!

( I am female too btw)

Sweet :) Have you tried the Beretta Px4 Storm Sub? It's verra nice. :)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My dad has a 1988 - he bought it on the occasion of my birth. :D it's not easy to protect the most perfect child ever born. :p

Either way... he said he has it designated to me in his will... but I don't think I can wait that long. I would like one similar to his if not exactly the same :)
    If I were you, I'd scour the gun auction sites and see if you can find a good used one reasonably priced - the new ones, the Model 29-10, are going for nearly $1,000.

They are in my opinion one of the grandest big revolvers ever made. At some point I'd like to get another one - Dad was a handloader and for years had a fondness for the hardest kicking (yet safe) handloads he could make, and I probably won't fire anything heavier than strong target loads out of mine. If I got another one, I wouldn't worry at all about the structural integrity of the gun.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom