Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener - Wow!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I have to say after sharping a few knives it does do a very good job. In fact they are sharper then they have ever been .
    But I can not get them to the point of shaving hair of my arms . I would love a edge like that.
    I may need some more practice.:innocent0

A knife that can't shave the hair off your arm isn't sharp. What kind of knives are you sharpening? I've done over 20 knives from small penknives to a single bevel 10" sashimi knife and every one of them shaves hair right off.

Are you keeping the backside of the blade pressed up against the guide so the grind angle is consistent and matches the guide? And you're using the right guide with the right knife type? The instructions say to pull the blade across the belt 5 times per side and with a consistent pull speed. Maybe you're going too slow or too fast? And you're using the honing belt, correct? You have to use that belt to take the burr off to reveal the edge.

Just some suggestions. Like I said, I'm hardly an expert and all my knives are sharp as hell.

Last edited:

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Love my worksharp. However for good blades I use my sharpmaker but for the blades in the kitchen the worksharp is king. Below is a good read from another forum on the aftermarket belts and how to use them to get the best edge. Also is a link to the maker of the aftermarket belts. I plan to get some aftermarket belts when I go through all my worksharp sets.

Aftermarket belts write up
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Aftermarket-belts-for-Work-Sharp-tested-today!

Aftermarket belts website
    http://micro-surface.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=272_7_228_262&products_id=91

Thanks for posting this. I may have to try some of these belts. I like the idea of using the series of polishing belts to enhance edge sharpness and appearance.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    Got one of these for christmas and finally put it to use. Wow. Cleaned up a spyderco delica that I'd really mangled. What a great little machine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom