• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    300 to 500 birds on the river all day long.
    44f985177ab47394e50653d22701d3b7.jpg

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I went out on the middle Potomac on X-mas eve and heard Spring Peepers in the distance. Saw about 40 ducks and 40 geese, but only got off two desperation shots. Most of the ducks were mergansers.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I'm going to give it a try on Saturday for geese down in church hill on the shore. Farm said he had about 100 geese on his pond the other day.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Let us know how it goes. I'm not going to bother going out again until I see that it's been below freezing for two consecutive weeks in upstate New York...or the last week of the season when I've got a reservation with a guide. Whichever comes first.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Let us know how it goes. I'm not going to bother going out again until I see that it's been below freezing for two consecutive weeks in upstate New York...or the last week of the season when I've got a reservation with a guide. Whichever comes first.

I live in Edgewater next to the water and I have been hearing/seeing geese everyday now. They are all flying high, flying in the detection of South east and in large groups of 30-75. I think they are starting to come down now.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Monday afternoon several huge flocks of high flyers passed here heading SE. Finally pushed out by the recent storm no doubt.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    There's been a ton of Geese out on the Susky Flats. Thats where you all need to be hunting.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Went to Tom Dodd's with another member today and it was.....atrocious.

Although, some of that could be attributed to a guide who's definitely got a ways to go with his calling. Plenty of other groups that SHOULD have come in and presented a shot that just kept on going.

Clearly, I'm worthless when it comes to calling waterfowl. First person to admit it every time it comes up. I'm terrible. Normally I don't judge others....unless calling is sorta their job. ;)

Still a great time though, and we didn't go home empty-handed. Just a lot more empty than our hands should have been.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Went out today and got nothing. It was a nice cool morning but it was a blue bird day. We saw a bunch of geese but they were flying way to high to even give us a look. From what I saw in number of geese i must say that it looks like the migratory geese have stated to come down but there is still a lot more on the way and hope they get here soon.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Hunted yesterday in the St Michaels area, we got five out of a bunch that came in and granted us the opportunity. We are starting to see more this week after the cold and bit of snow up north recently, hope this next cold wave moves some more down...

5amhunt

Dark And Early
    Oct 10, 2014
    With this cold weather moving in how fast can one expect it to starty pushing ducks south? Do we need 3 weeks of this weather or does a couple days make a big difference?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    With this cold weather moving in how fast can one expect it to starty pushing ducks south? Do we need 3 weeks of this weather or does a couple days make a big difference?

It's not so much the weather here as it is what's going on north in your flyway.

Cold in PA/NY/New England for a few days/week will push them South.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater

I think it all depends on how fast ponds and rivers start to freeze up, then when the food starts to run out or get covered in snow.

_JT_

Jan 30, 2009
    Cecil County
    We still got a little under a month left to hunt and it will only take a couple days for them to fly down here.

It'll be the same as it's been the past few years. Once duck closes, the huge #'s will arrive the following day. It's Science.

Seriously though, I'd give up the first split or the early seasons just for a 15 day extension on Ducks. There's a treaty or whatever which currently sets the last week of January as the cutoff for duck, and it'd be nice if that could be revisited considering it was drafted many moons ago. And while they're at it lets remove the restrictions on Cormorants because those things are overpopulated and have essentially setup shop year round on the bay.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Virginia already lifted the Cormorant ban, so maybe that will happen.

I'd also be willing to give up the earlier season(s) to have a chance to hunt when there are actually birds around. Hell, I'd be willing to give up an entire year or two if it would mean better numbers for many years after that. But I'm probably in the minority on that second part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom