• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Hey guys, I'm new to reloading so any information or pointers you have is much appreciated.

I'm looking to buy a resizer for brass. I am looking to reload .223 primarily, but also doing 9mm, 45acp, and some 300 WBY Mag.

Does anyone have one for sale or know where I could get one at a decent price? Thanks!

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Im assuming you are looking for a die set? There is more then 1 die needed to load each caliber.

Most of the online stores, that sell reloading gear should have what you are looking for (Midway USA, Grafs, Midsouth Shooters Supply). Whether you find them in stock right now, may be a different story (especially .223)

Dont overlook eBay, and gunbroker.com. There are always die sets on sale on those sites.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Well, actually I have .223 dies. Maybe I need better clarification on my part....

Suppose my brass is too long. How do I trim it down to the correct size? Don't I need a trimmer or can I do that with the dies? Again, I have most of the components but have not yet started.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Well, actually I have .223 dies. Maybe I need better clarification on my part....

Suppose my brass is too long. How do I trim it down to the correct size? Don't I need a trimmer or can I do that with the dies? Again, I have most of the components but have not yet started.

If the brass is too long-yes it should be trimmed. You'd need a case trimmer. There is a trim die, that pushes a case above a rim in a die, and you file it down with a file.

A case trimmer, would be the easiet way to trim your brass. There are various types, some inexpensive (Lee's set up) and some are expensive (motorized). Personally, Im a fan of a lathe style trimmer. Some of the hand crank trimmers, can be retrofitted to use a drill chuck, or upgraded to use an electric motor.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have mixed b/c I scrounge whatever I can find at ranges. Yes, I did this before actually committing to reloading lol! However, I did not know that 9 and 45 will more than likely shrink. Does 223 usually shrink also?

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown

These links are great! I know I'm totally new to this and probably asking redundant questions but my last question is this...

I have a Hornady Lock-n-Load case prep trio. Is / Are there attachment(s) that I can add to this? The Lee stuff has good reviews and is inexpensive, but my father-in-law bought me this Hornady LNL. Can I just get a cutter or gauge for that too or should I just go with the Lee products?

However, I did not know that 9 and 45 will more than likely shrink. Does 223 usually shrink also?
    Straightwall cartridges like .357 Magnum and .40 S&W shrink when resized because as the case rises in the die, brass is forced to flow towards the base. Tapered cartridges like the .45-70 Government, do not do much at all. A .45 acp is pretty much straight, a 9 mm is somewhat tapered. I have not reloaded either, but my bet is that the .45 will shrink more than the 9mm.

Bottlenecked cartridges like the .223 Remington grow in length. The neck expander ball goes up through the shoulder and neck on the press down stroke. This causes brass to flow into the neck area. The body of the cartridge is tapered so not much happens on the upstroke.

If you are loading mixed brass, it may be a good idea to see if all are the same length. This is important because those cartridges headspace on the case mouth. A bottlenecked cartridge headspaces on the shoulder, a rimmed one on the rim, and a belted cartridge on the belt.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    That's all I will need for the Lee zip trimmer? just the trimmer, the ball handle cutter, and the gauge?

A Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner and a Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool would be handy too.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/789334/le-wilson-chamfer-and-deburring-tool-17-to-45-caliber

The Case Length Gage already includes the proper sized Shellholder.

While you are ordering, get a tube of Flitz polish that you can use while the casing is on the zip trimmer. A couple of polishing spins and your brass will shine.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Thanks guys! This has been invaluable information. I will make sure I order these from Midway right now.

One last item that I forgot about.
    A de-burring tool.

I've used this one, from RCBS, since 1979.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/465641/rcbs-chamfer-and-deburring-tool-17-to-60-caliber

You stick one end into the trimmed case and spin the tool ONCE.
    Turn the tool around and de-burr the outside. Spin the tool ONCE.

You don't need to do this again, until you trim cases, again. (De-burring helps the 'boolit' enter the case, easier.)

I have the Lee, but, I'm not too fond of it.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/389104/lee-chamfer-and-deburring-tool?cm_vc=subv1465641
    I get 'chatter' and an un-even casemouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom