• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraZ4GunZ

Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    I want a Springfield to go with my Garand and have seen several on the auction block.
    Is $900-$1000 too much for an original condition with correct markings? I found more SCs than Rems and I've also heard that there are "fakes" on the market now (factory parts but not factory built). How much does this affect price (not factory or not original condition)?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The "fakes" are rebuilt drill rifles. Drill rifles had the cutoff welded (to prevent bolt removal), bolt face welded shut, firing pin clipped, rod welded inside the chamber, and barrel welded to the receiver at the underside. The easiest way to spot one of these is to look for signs of grinding, welding, and discoloration from the welding. Rebuilt drill rifles are for the most part fine to shoot. Both James River Armory and Gibbs Rifle Company rebuild them.

I'd recommend Nation's Gun Show to get one FTF. I saw a S-C for $695 at the show before the election, but didn't have that much cash on me.

Otherwise, check out the CMP Forums. Plenty of people sell theirs there. Home done rebuilt drill rifles go for less than $600 there. There are a number of members who are well regarded for their drill rifle rebuilds.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I think so. I got my sc for 675. Are you a member of the cmp board?

You could easily get one for 800 or less there most likely

CraZ4GunZ

Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    Thx for replies. I am on the CMP board - will keep checking there. I was wondering about the all original, but read that the late production rifles were never issued and were sent straight to warehousing...so could they be all original and are any for sale?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    There is a really nice one on GB (or has been)...

just post up on cmp with a want to buy....you'll get the hookup....

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Thx for replies. I am on the CMP board - will keep checking there. I was wondering about the all original, but read that the late production rifles were never issued and were sent straight to warehousing...so could they be all original and are any for sale?

Most 03A3's were made later in the war anyway. The vast majority were not used in combat.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I thought production stopped in early to mid 1944 when the contract was cancelled?

Oh wait, 03A3 production was about 1942 to Feb 1944. Prior to that, Remington was making M1903's with the RIA tooling that had been stored away. When it wore out and they had to make new tooling, they suggested cost saving measures, which ended up being the 03A3.

Pictures do exist of 03A3's in combat zones, but you'll see more M1903's in pictures.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    For normal use especially if you ever plan to enter into a competition you will appreciate an A3 much more due to the sights!

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    All this 03-A3 talk and no pictures... :rolleyes:

397634685.jpg

397634690.jpg

397634696.jpg

397634695.jpg

397634693.jpg

Jamie

Users who are viewing this thread