• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV

Thanks I went to the range to sight my new ar in. I went in the rain I'm sick of rain. I also think this is in another link where someone called the WVSP and asked if this included out of state people and they said no. The AG said the law does not differentiate and there is no language excluding any US citizen.

Post 10
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4339366&postcount=10

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    And for you history buffs 5/24/2016 is the 75th anniversary of what in WWII? I know at least one other person I deal with in the shooting sports that could name the event off the top of his head without having to go to the site for "this day in history". Anyone else?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You are on the correct track.
    At 6 AM local time on May 24th 1941 in the Denmark Straits off Iceland, a 15" shell from the battleship SMS Bismarck's 5th salvo caused a magazine explosion that sank the battlecruiser HMS Hood.

fogman

You are on the correct track.
    At 6 AM local time on May 24th 1941 in the Denmark Straits off Iceland, a 15" shell from the battleship SMS Bismarck's 5th salvo caused a magazine explosion that sank the battlecruiser HMS Hood.

If I remember correctly, the captain of the Hood, knowing the limitations of his deck armor, made an attempt to close the distance in an effort to eliminate the effects of plunging fire. Unfortunately he wasn't close enough.
    You have to wonder, the little quirks in history that if they had come out differently, how would they have changed history.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Well, if I recall the irony is that in Maryland marrying your cousin is legal while in WV it is illegal.

That being said, the familial relationships in WV are pretty fvcked up. (yes, my family is from there and I still proudly own property there.)

Illegal in KY, too... Don't ask.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    It was actually quirkier than that. Vice Admiral Holland in the Hood had developed a very effective battle plan. He was going to attack at around 2 AM in which case the sun would have been slightly below the horizon which would have silhouetted the German ship in the sun afterglow, and the they would have a hard time picking the RN ships against the fading light (see the Battle of Coronel in 1914 to see the effects of this). Plus he would have come upon them when both squadron's would have been pointed at each other meaning their combined closing speed of about 58 knots would have gotten the Hood down to around 13,000 yards very quickly with both squadrons only being able to use their forward turrets, which was a very serious firepower advantage to the British, 4-15" and 6-14" verses 4-15" and 4-8".
    But the HMS Sheffield lost the German ships on radar for almost 2 hours which caused Holland to have to turn to the Southwest so they did not get past him into the Atlantic. He detached his 4 destroyers to hunt for them and in the low visibility and fog they passed only 10 miles from the Germans and neither saw each other. When they regained radar contact the British were too far behind on the port beam of the Germans and it basically became almost a stern chase with the British only able to fire their forward turrets while the Germans had all their turrets unmasked. Not to mention the Bismarck maximum speed was 30 knots and only the Hood at 31 knots could catch her as the Prince of Wales max speed was only 28 knots. All that and now they were only crawling closer at a slow pace. Hood opened fire at 26,500 yards on the lead ship which in the case happened to be the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen due to a position change because of an earlier event knocking the Bismarck's radar out. She almost hit her as her first salvo was very close. But Hood had only 8 minutes of life left that took over 1400 men to their deaths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom