• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    That was QUICK! It JUST made it up to Zillow today and was listed as "For Sale" this morning.

I think it was quick because it appears to be a great piece of unrestricted land, well maintained and clean.
    You don't have to drag junk cars out of the woods, dispose an old reefer semi and evict the pillhead cousin who has taken up residency in the property. Whoever is buying this is getting a cabin, not a project.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    We've been watching WVa property for a year now. Anytime something comes for sale that doesn't need work, it's gone in days or less. The demand for second homes, or DC area transplants, is still huge.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    We've been watching WVa property for a year now. Anytime something comes for sale that doesn't need work, it's gone in days or less. The demand for second homes, or DC area transplants, is still huge.

Property values in Berkeley county are rising rapidly especially so for unrestricted property. We bought our house 5 years ago and its doubled in value since then.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    I think it was quick because it appears to be a great piece of unrestricted land, well maintained and clean.
    You don't have to drag junk cars out of the woods, dispose an old reefer semi and evict the pillhead cousin who has taken up residency in the property. Whoever is buying this is getting a cabin, not a project.

Found a place < 3 miles from downtown Berkley Springs about two years back. 20+acres Pond, out building with a lift, 100yd range, house needed some work, but the price wasn't too bad. Place sold by the time we drove out to see it. Guess we have to be quicker.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Found a place < 3 miles from downtown Berkley Springs about two years back. 20+acres Pond, out building with a lift, 100yd range, house needed some work, but the price wasn't too bad. Place sold by the time we drove out to see it. Guess we have to be quicker.

Yes. If this is what you want, you need to have your financing lined up and your realtor teed up. In the case of this place on Zillow, I would have given my realtor the go-ahead to put in a full price cash offer with a $10,001 earnest money deposit just based on the Zillow listing. You have to be able to pounce without delay. If you look at it and it is truly not as represented, you either have to be willing to walk away from 10k or go to court. If it's really what you want, you can't do the 'let me see if I can do a tour the week after next' routine.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    The lack of inventory everywhere and inflated home prices is really demoralizing. We’re going to start looking in three years.

Maybe will have to adjust plans and stay in this Godforsaken blue state for a bit. Home is paid off; but in principal, don’t want Maryland’s comptrollers claws into our retirement income income Enough is enough. :rolleyes:

Maybe shoot the old lady down to Florida to take care of Momma bear down there (in their home), until the housing economy levels out to a sane level. Even then… that may be waiting for hell to freeze over.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    The lack of inventory everywhere and inflated home prices is really demoralizing. We’re going to start looking in three years.

Maybe will have to adjust plans and stay in this Godforsaken blue state for a bit. Home is paid off; but in principal, don’t want Maryland’s comptrollers claws into our retirement income income Enough is enough. :rolleyes:

Maybe shoot the old lady down to Florida to take care of Momma bear down there (in their home), until the housing economy levels out to a sane level. Even then… that may be waiting for hell to freeze over.

You're at least in a good position since you already own a house, paid off to boot. Thats awesome. It really sucks to be a first time buyer right now. We can't keep waiting but there is nothing to buy.

January data for Berkeley and Jefferson counties just came out. As of January there were a total of 252 active listings between both counties. And based on what I'm seeing a large chunk of those are 'to-be-built' houses that are not even actually available anytime soon so inventory is effectively a lot lower than even that super low number.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland

Can't remember if you ever said what your VA rating is but if it's 100% (except Wash Co that gives you by the 10%) you are off the hook for property taxes. That'll keep Franchot off some of your money. I love having a $360/yr prop tax bill.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Can't remember if you ever said what your VA rating is but if it's 100% (except Wash Co that gives you by the 10%) you are off the hook for property taxes. That'll keep Franchot off some of your money. I love having a $360/yr prop tax bill.

Am not 100 percent. Not looking to try to get it bumped up; would rather that my physique was as was really.

Did my taxes today. Got really screwed hard again by the Feds and Maryland. Capital gains was the brunt of it. It's also sad that my real estate taxes that were paid last year really can't be included additionally for deduction against our income, since the larger encompassing married standard deduction negates that on a itemized individual basis anyway. :rolleyes:

I REALLY got to get my shit together and sit down with a tax advisor/fiduciary this year. I need professional eyeballs on our ball of loot.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Am not 100 percent. Not looking to try to get it bumped up; would rather that my physique was as was really.

Did my taxes today. Got really screwed hard again by the Feds and Maryland. Capital gains was the brunt of it. It's also sad that my real estate taxes that were paid last year really can't be included additionally for deduction against our income, since the larger encompassing married standard deduction negates that on a itemized individual basis anyway. :rolleyes:

I REALLY got to get my shit together and sit down with a tax advisor/fiduciary this year. I need professional eyeballs on our ball of loot.

I hear you. I’m not 100% and would also like to be more like it was. My wife is the 100%’er and she’s F’d up. Nothing like 82nd to tear you up. I’d gladly pay the taxes if she could be healthier.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I hear you. I’m not 100% and would also like to be more like it was. My wife is the 100%’er and she’s F’d up. Nothing like 82nd to tear you up. I’d gladly pay the taxes if she could be healthier.
    Roger that

But on the other hand your bride is a near sighted sweetheart who works her arse off. ;-)

She does have a seriously heavy burden to bear health wise. There ain’t numbers or percentages that can make up for awful service based impingements on lifelong quality of life.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Not really on Spruce Knob mountain, but Riverton is a nice area with great trout fishing and caving nearby.

This one is actually very close, it's about 1/4 mile away from the marker for "Spruce Mountain Cabins" on Google Maps. 38.729731, -79.481050

We pass by it on the way up to the Knob every time we head up there. I'd buy it if I could make it work income-wise.

Also, great breakfast spot at the base of the road (Gateway Restaurant)

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Can anyone recommend an agent for Jefferson, Berkeley, Morgan counties?

We're still looking but with cash in hand now. We want a decent view, a mile or two from hardball, no farther. 2-10 acres, preferably no HOA. We want to put the camper on it for weekends for a few years while the kids are in college then build. Don't have a problem with building for off-the-grid when the time comes. I've given up on being able to hunt or shoot on the property due to the wife's desire to be a bit closer to civilization. Lots of public hunting land around.

We wandered around last weekend but the good stuff was 20+ minutes of 4x4 only roads out towards Great Cacapon and the wife didn't like being that remote. Closer stuff seemed ok but everything has covenants and we couldn't get an agent to find out what the actual covenants are. I know we're competing with the DC get-out-of-towners but it is what it is.

Looked at that super cool place off of Detour Rd at the top of the hill for $250k but it wasn't realistic to think we could live there 15 years from now due to the terrain walking (climbing) up to the house.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Prices in the eastern panhandle have been rising dramatically the last couple of years. I’m in Morgan County and the home I bought two years ago has appreciated by at least 50%. (This is based on selling value, not tax assessment.) I can attribute this to the large numbers of refugees fleeing Maryland and DC, as well as NOVA. There are Maryland expatriates everywhere here. The beautiful thing thing about Morgan is that we have no subdivisions of townhouse developments, and aside from the commerce on 522, there are no strip centers littering the countryside.

No matter where you relocate in the wild and wonderful, you will need to mentally shift gears when leaving the nanny state counties of Montgomery, Howard, etc., where they require much more to be disclosed and addressed in real estate transactions. Nobody is holding your hand out here. While some potential issues have already been raised, here a few things to keep in mind when considering WV property:

1) Cell service. If you rely on it, be sure that you have a signal where you will want or need it. As you head west, losing signals in the hills is to be expected. I have Verizon and it works well for me, but if there are no towers around, it makes zero difference who your carrier is.
    2) Is any of the land flat? Lots of land for sale on very steep grades, making it unbuildable - and it will never appreciate. Walk the land and see for yourself.
    3) Keep this in mind....surveys are NOT required in real estate sales in WV. That being said, the large bolder or big oak tree mentioned in your deed may be long gone. Finding out that half of the garage you built is on your neighbor’s land could be an expensive problem.
    4) Who is going to plow the road? If your home is at the foot of a winding, 1/2 mile dirt road, don’t expect to see county plows any time soon, if at all. This ain’t Montgomery County. Coming home from work in the dark after 6-8 inches of snow has fallen isn’t the time to address this issue. While some areas have HOA fees just cover the maintenance of grading and plowing a shared road, that’s the exception rather than the rule. These “HOAs” exist solely for road maintenance and do not create restrictive covenants or other regulations.
    5) Find a real estate agent you can trust. Many of these properties in remote areas are listings where the property owner is colluding with an agent who is a family member. Guess whose interest they are working in???
    6) 911 response. Morgan County has EIGHT patrol deputies to cover the entire county over 168 hours per week. This means that at times there may only be one deputy on duty - or maybe NONE - in the entire county. Even with mutual aid agreements with state police, municipal agencies, etc., response times - especially in more remote areas - can be an hour or more. Same goes for fire and EMS. You need to have a plan because expecting a 5-10 minute response time is not realistic.
    7) Well water. Lots of iron and shale in my water. It’s clean and drinkable, but I filter it anyway. But that’s not the case everywhere. Some areas are loaded with contaminants in the groundwater and aquifers, especially in proximity to some of the old coal fields. Have it tested.
    8) Drugs and poverty. While it’s nothing like Baltimore or PG County, there are plenty of poor folks here, many of whom are addicted to meth, heroin, crack and welfare. It’s not bad here in the eastern panhandle, but as you venture deeper into former coal country, the economies and employment opportunities of many formerly thriving communities have been decimated by the war on fossil fuels and corporate greed. This has resulted in a generational dependence on public assistance and resultant hopelessness for many in these areas. Drugs and alcohol become an escape. Fortunately, most folks are armed here and the junkies and bums know this, yet addiction oftentimes overrides common sense. Remain vigilant.

If any needs a local realtor, PM me. My agent was golden.

Good luck in y’all’s searches....

Last edited:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Can anyone recommend an agent for Jefferson, Berkeley, Morgan counties?

We're still looking but with cash in hand now. We want a decent view, a mile or two from hardball, no farther. 2-10 acres, preferably no HOA. We want to put the camper on it for weekends for a few years while the kids are in college then build. Don't have a problem with building for off-the-grid when the time comes. I've given up on being able to hunt or shoot on the property due to the wife's desire to be a bit closer to civilization. Lots of public hunting land around.

We wandered around last weekend but the good stuff was 20+ minutes of 4x4 only roads out towards Great Cacapon and the wife didn't like being that remote. Closer stuff seemed ok but everything has covenants and we couldn't get an agent to find out what the actual covenants are. I know we're competing with the DC get-out-of-towners but it is what it is.

Looked at that super cool place off of Detour Rd at the top of the hill for $250k but it wasn't realistic to think we could live there 15 years from now due to the terrain walking (climbing) up to the house.

If the wife wants proximity to civilization, but you want land, I recommend looking a little farther south around the Capon Bridge area. You're 30 min to Winchester on a bad day, but still remote enough to be able to do the things you've talked about (eg, shoot, hunt, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom