• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    You can't always choose your neighbors, but you'd be in close proximity to @Pushrod if you bought this beauty at a steal of a price!

If I were ready to retire, or could work remotely, I'd buy this one in a heartbeat!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I would say that is occasionally the cause, not 'usually'.
    More frequent than many would wish to admit:

Roughly 100 firefighters every year are convicted of arson and of those 100, the majority are serial arsonists. The vast majority are from Volunteer Fire Companies in rural areas where the opportunity to be a "hero" is extremely appealing.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    You can't always choose your neighbors, but you'd be in close proximity to @Pushrod if you bought this beauty at a steal of a price!

If I were ready to retire, or could work remotely, I'd buy this one in a heartbeat!
    That is literally my neighbor. My driveway borders the property.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Comes mostly furnished. Small lot next to a stream between Valley Head and Mingo. Would make a good getaway cabin for skiing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Prefab/Doublewide on a block foundation and 2.1 (very skinny) acres with an outbuilding and the headwaters of the Tygart as your own personal trout stream in the backyard. Again, close to skiing, hunting, fishing, etc.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    If I was going to move to the sticks of West by god Virginia which would be great I’d want some more sticks. 20 acres would be on the low side of starting point. But if someone were just looking for a legal residence address that was is a more friendly 2A state then some of these listings make sense.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    If I was going to move to the sticks of West by god Virginia which would be great I’d want some more sticks. 20 acres would be on the low side of starting point. But if someone were just looking for a legal residence address that was is a more friendly 2A state then some of these listings make sense.
    If you're just looking for a getaway with close access to lots of good stuff to do, these fit the bill nicely, especially if you have kids and need to keep the MD area job. Acreage is starting to get expensive east of the US 219 corridor.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    If you're just looking for a getaway with close access to lots of good stuff to do, these fit the bill nicely, especially if you have kids and need to keep the MD area job. Acreage is starting to get expensive east of the US 219 corridor.
    I agree they are good for that.
    You ain’t kidding about the price going up. I have a cabin in Garrett but that build was more about the lake than land based outdoor activities so it’s only on 2 acres. I would love to have a 100+ to do whatever I please but I think that ship has sailed. Good luck to those who can make the jump

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I agree they are good for that.
    You ain’t kidding about the price going up. I have a cabin in Garrett but that build was more about the lake than land based outdoor activities so it’s only on 2 acres. I would love to have a 100+ to do whatever I please but I think that ship has sailed. Good luck to those who can make the jump
    You can still find it west of the US 219 corridor in WV. Especially over towards I-79 and west. The Coalfields are full of hundreds and thousands of acres for sale for a few bucks and acre.

Here's one in the Buckhannon area (Tallmansville in reality, but not a bad place to live by any means) with 77.61 Acres for $380 that is relatively turn-key (new paint, carpet, some updates to the kitchen and bath, and it's all set) that even includes the western portal of the Goodwin Tunnel (.pdf attached) on the Coal and Coke Railway.

Attachments

• volume-15-issue-3-july-2017 (1).pdf
      3.7 MB · Views: 98
    Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    You can still find it west of the US 219 corridor in WV. Especially over towards I-79 and west. The Coalfields are full of hundreds and thousands of acres for sale for a few bucks and acre.
    What towns or counties would I search to see listings
    Thanks

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Mannington. Hundred. A lot of property goes to tax sales. A lot of poor people in Wv. Kids move and don’t want the farm. Some stuff goes real cheap. Just have to constantly look and be ready. I lost great deals paying more and sellers wanting quick settlement paying cash get the bargains.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    What towns or counties would I search to see listings
    Thanks
    Clay County has recently had a lot of properties at more than reasonable prices.

Not fancy and both need work, but lots of land.

Similar in that sense with 200+ac

Last edited:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Dang that harrisville has my brain working overtime
    Yep! hell of a hunting camp if nothing else. It was clearly a working farm at one point. Probably from the late 1700s on into the 1970s or 80s. The kids probably didn't want to farm, so they held onto the property for hunting. Now their kids have grown up and moved too far away and are selling it.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Yep! hell of a hunting camp if nothing else. It was clearly a working farm at one point. Probably from the late 1700s on into the 1970s or 80s. The kids probably didn't want to farm, so they held onto the property for hunting. Now their kids have grown up and moved too far away and are selling it.

A coworker out west had a hunting farm he owned in a LLC with 4 buddies. It had a few tillable acres that were rented out and some CRP, the rest was playground. It still required a number of 'work weekends' to brush hog, fix the relentless rot on the shooting houses and maintenance on the old farmhouse.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    A coworker out west had a hunting farm he owned in a LLC with 4 buddies. It had a few tillable acres that were rented out and some CRP, the rest was playground. It still required a number of 'work weekends' to brush hog, fix the relentless rot on the shooting houses and maintenance on the old farmhouse.
    The work is a given but certainly part of the process to have a play property. What’s good about that location is it’s close enough to my cabin that it’d be just property with no need for a livable space. Just a really good shed with water and electric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom