• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm going to make a dedicated thread about it later today...it's...interesting...
    Before shooting any, I would have a .357 Magnum and a chronograph. I would be highly hesitant to send the first few through a .38 Special.
    If you can get down this way I would be happy to deconstruct a few and report my findings.
    Reaching out to Speer with your concerns and pictures might be wise as well.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Is there a date code on the box? It could be that this is ammo that has been sitting in a police department storage room for years.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Looks like reloads using the original boxes out of convenience to me. The crimp is visibly off and the OAL doesn’t look right as others mentioned. Doesn’t look like the brass was tumbled well. Could be out of an estate and assumed it was factory because of the boxes.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Looks like reloads using the original boxes out of convenience to me. The crimp is visibly off and the OAL doesn’t look right as others mentioned. Doesn’t look like the brass was tumbled well. Could be out of an estate and assumed it was factory because of the boxes.
    I wouldn’t fire that out of anything- what if they’re double or over charged? That with the depth I believe could make a big boom. Easy enough to use a bullet puller which every reloaded should have.

When I was bigger into reloading I used to weigh the finished rounds individually after just to make sure none were over charged or doubled, did occasionally find one that way.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I wouldn't touch that ammo! Looks like someone set the seating depth and then adjusted the die down to do the crimp without readjusting the seater. I'm saying bad attempt at handloads.

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    better than any maryland show and this on a sunday! so much military surplus but still way over priced. So many Garands and so many sellers pretending they are rare or something. The only box of 45 70 goverment trapdoor safe was 20 bucks over price.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Before shooting any, I would have a .357 Magnum and a chronograph. I would be highly hesitant to send the first few through a .38 Special.
    If you can get down this way I would be happy to deconstruct a few and report my findings.
    Reaching out to Speer with your concerns and pictures might be wise as well.

And that crimp look wonky as well. Are are the boxes like that?

Is there a date code on the box? It could be that this is ammo that has been sitting in a police department storage room for years.

I wouldn't touch that ammo! Looks like someone set the seating depth and then adjusted the die down to do the crimp without readjusting the seater. I'm saying bad attempt at handloads.
    So as to not completely hijack this gun show thread, here's mine:

I'm going to look for a date or lot number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom