• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Have you searched the forum about "militec"? That stuff is snake oil at it's finest.

I have searched the forum for it, I've seen people's gripes. Everybody has an opinion on what is "the best lube", but in the end it is nothing more than an opinion. I choose to use Militec because of the applications for my firearms. Others will use something else because their application requirements are different than mine.

FWIW my dad has been using it for many, many years. I've been using it exclusively for the past 7 years. I've never had a problem with Militec not doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

If you haven't used it, I recommend you try it before you make such an uninformed statement.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    I have searched the forum for it, I've seen people's gripes. Everybody has an opinion on what is "the best lube", but in the end it is nothing more than an opinion. I choose to use Militec because of the applications for my firearms. Others will use something else because their application requirements are different than mine.

FWIW my dad has been using it for many, many years. I've been using it exclusively for the past 7 years. I've never had a problem with Militec not doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

If you haven't used it, I recommend you try it before you make such an uninformed statement.

Really?? I do not think so. Your research is poor if you feel the way you state. If you want a good product try Eezox. Militec has NO corrosion prevention properties. It's lubrication properties are next to nothing. Mobile 1 will out perform it EVERY time and is WAYYYY cheaper.

As you said you are entitled to your opinion and I need to remember to not buy any of your used guns if you like that snake oil so much.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Really?? I do not think so. Your research is poor if you feel the way you state. If you want a good product try Eezox. Militec has NO corrosion prevention properties. It's lubrication properties are next to nothing. Mobile 1 will out perform it EVERY time and is WAYYYY cheaper.

As you said you are entitled to your opinion and I need to remember to not buy any of your used guns if you like that snake oil so much.

Hmm...

I don't have any corrosion on any of mine. I guess that is because I do take care of them. Research is one thing, but real world experience with a product generally holds more weight. Also calling it "snake oil" really nullifies your opinion.

Furthermore, I don't sell my firearms, because I am working on a collection. Should I ever wish to sell them, it is your choice not to buy them and I really don't care what you think.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Anyone have any bad experiences with Frog lube??

Nope, I use it exclusively on all my firearms with excellent results, even in this cold.

I haven't tried the Mobile 1 idea, but I've never been a fan of products high in petroleum (yes, I'm well aware M1 is synthetic, but it is still a "petroleum" styled oil.)

Also, just as I like to shop at our local IP's instead of big box, I like the work the FL people do. I've used both the solvent and the CLP and couldn't be happier.

I will admit that it takes two full cleanings to get maximum penetration of the product, but after that it's a simple wipe down and bore snake for most cleanings. I get virtually no carbon buildup, and what is there wipes away.

I remember that even a simple qualification day shooting a total of 60 rounds in the Army, cleaning with normal CLP left heavy carbon buildup that would take over an hour to really get clean.

Bottom line with Frog Lube: It just works (for me anyway).

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    I may be the only here that uses a small amount of graphite lubricant. I have never had any problems so far on slides. And some other additional parts. Mobile 1 for other parts.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Hmm...

I don't have any corrosion on any of mine. I guess that is because I do take care of them. Research is one thing, but real world experience with a product generally holds more weight. Also calling it "snake oil" really nullifies your opinion.

Furthermore, I don't sell my firearms, because I am working on a collection. Should I ever wish to sell them, it is your choice not to buy them and I really don't care what you think.

Snake oil from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil

"has come to refer to any product with questionable or unverifiable quality or benefit."

Yes I have tried it. Sig for some reason puts a bottle in each case, but that doesn't make it a quality product.

From our resident Smith: http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1121768&postcount=9

I am sure he has worked on 1000x more guns than you or I own. Plenty of real world experience there.

Unbiased corrosion test: http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

And there is plenty more information on the web.

Don't shoot the messenger. I am just trying to educate you so you do not regret your choice of using militec-1. You can take it or leave it as I have better things to do than getting in a pissing match with you over a shitty product.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Slip2000 EWL for lube, typically I warm the parts with a heat-gun (when possible) before applying so it soaks into the metal. That shit is great.

On the AR's, I've never had to really use solvent. The Slip does a damn good job of keeping the crap from clinging too badly, it normally just wipes off. (Although I clean after every range trip, so it's never really too bad to begin with.)

I also use MilComm MC2500/TW25B in the bores, does a pretty good job of keeping the bores easy to clean. Still have to run brushes and mops, but I very rarely have had to use solvents since.

*On a sidenote, there's a reason why Miltec's NSN (National Stock Number) was revoked, it just simply doesn't live up to all it's claims. The military has been testing it since the late '80's (IIRC), and they dropped it. So that should give some pause for thought.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Weapon Shield or Ballistol and Weapon Shield Grease when grease is needed.

I'm enjoying Weapons shield and also Ballistol mixed with water for a wipe down.

There was an interesting washer test done where many of the lubricants were tested for corrosion protection and EEZOX was king however Weapons Shield lubricant and grease wasn't too far behind. What makes WS stand out is it's ability to be a great lubricant just as good as Synthetic motor oil.

This is important to me because I am able to shoot casually and not have to deep clean my guns until a certain amount of rounds, and not have to worry about long term corrosion if cant make it to the range for an extended period of time.

Nothing against the other products and even straight up synthetic motor oil but after seeing that washer test I know I made the right decision for my convenience. Miltec and Frog lube failed miserably in that washer test comparison.

Last edited:

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    I'm enjoying Weapons shield and also Ballistol mixed with water for a whip down.

There was an interesting washer test done where many of the lubricants were tested for corrosion and EEZOX was king however Weapons Shield lubricant and grease wasn't too far behind. What makes WS stand out is it's ability to be a great lubricant just as good as Synthetic motor oil.

This is important to me because I am able to shoot casually and not have to deep clean my guns until a certain amount of rounds, and not have to worry about long term corrosion if cant make it to the range for an extended period of time.

Nothing against the other products and even straight up synthetic motor oil but after seeing that washer test I know I made the right decision for my convenience. Miltec and Frog lube failed miserably in that washer test comparison.

Sounds interesting. I have a gallon of Ballistol and love it for my milsurps for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Sounds interesting. I have a gallon of Ballistol and love it for my milsurps for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo.

I was turned on to Ballistol by the good advice from Clandestine and what I did was buy my own aerosolized pump bottle and mix it with water.
    I spray it down when deep cleaning after the round count I set for each gun which I determined to be around 400 rounds. Except for the smell it seems to clean up very well and does something I did not see in a CLP which conditions plastics and rubber parts better then anything I ever used.

The Weapons Shield is a great lubricant that sticks and doesn't run off like many of the other CLPs. The corrosion protection is what makes it an all rounder for the lazy gun owner.
    I would not mind trying other products out of curiosity but if they are not known for corrosion protection I will take a big pass.

BBQ1

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 1, 2013
    Glendale
    Hoppes Bench Rest for solvent.

Eezox in the bore , CLP on the metal and LSA on the slides/rails and high friction areas.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Snake oil from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil

"has come to refer to any product with questionable or unverifiable quality or benefit."

Yes I have tried it. Sig for some reason puts a bottle in each case, but that doesn't make it a quality product.

From our resident Smith: http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1121768&postcount=9

I am sure he has worked on 1000x more guns than you or I own. Plenty of real world experience there.

Unbiased corrosion test: http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

And there is plenty more information on the web.

Don't shoot the messenger. I am just trying to educate you so you do not regret your choice of using militec-1. You can take it or leave it as I have better things to do than getting in a pissing match with you over a shitty product.

Again, I repeat myself. That is YOUR OPINION. You were the one who chose to try to call me out. Attempting to "educate" me when acting like a stuck up a$$ really isn't how somebody would try to inform somebody of their opinion, while being so disrespectful.

As for Chad saying his piece, he is entitled to his OPINION. He isn't the word of almighty god, and neither are you. If you want to be a troll, that's fine.

I have my opinion on lubricants and you have yours.

I never stated I was using Militec-1, I stated I was using Militec. There is a big freaking difference between Militec and Militec-1, maybe you should research the differences. Before you jump on somebody for the wrong product, maybe you should do your own research on if something even exists.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Again, I repeat myself. That is YOUR OPINION. You were the one who chose to try to call me out. Attempting to "educate" me when acting like a stuck up a$$ really isn't how somebody would try to inform somebody of their opinion, while being so disrespectful.

As for Chad saying his piece, he is entitled to his OPINION. He isn't the word of almighty god, and neither are you. If you want to be a troll, that's fine.

I have my opinion on lubricants and you have yours.

I never stated I was using Militec-1, I stated I was using Militec. There is a big freaking difference between Militec and Militec-1, maybe you should research the differences. Before you jump on somebody for the wrong product, maybe you should do your own research on if something even exists.

I should learn from chad and stop feeding the Militec fanboy trolls.

:lol2::banghead::deadhorse::spank::rasp: LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom