Yuck, not sure I'm looking forward to this.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I do like the greater volume aspect since it lets you keep pressures lower.

I wonder how it holds up to rough handling. The case body is only connected to the head by the little portion crimped into the flash hole.

The 40 reloadings sound decent, but some brass cartridge cases like .45 and .38 Special can be pushed far longer than that.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    VERY interesting to be sure, but to me not especially compelling. At least not just yet.

Should we see the availability of rifle cases as mentioned, and specifically those that aren't readily available and either dirt cheap or free like .223, I may think otherwise.

There is at least one member here who has geared up to load these cases. One of the Hooligans.

First I'd seen or heard of these cases was last week from one of his posts. With luck he'll chime in also.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    For pistol cases, 40 reloadings is irrelevant when I can get brass for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Combining dissimilar metals has never caused problems any where else, right? Especially in high pressure, high temperature environments.

Last edited:

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    If companies aren't willing to innovate the sport won't move forward. The fact is that companies can roll guns off an assembly line with better/equivalent fit to hand crafted firearms from years ago simply because of advance machining. This drastically reduces the cost of firearm manufacturing and raises the quality of even the bottom of the line offerings. In the end, it's all good for the consumer.

In the case of cases, not much has changed for a LONG time. I'm excited to see that someone is thinking outside the box. The positives of this type of tech are obvious but I'm not willing to be a new adopter in this realm. The most effective method would be to wholesale change over to this design so that you don't have to run two separate reloading presses so that you can keep using your old brass.

The two concerns that I have are 1) With the plated metal, does tumbling steel media eventually weaken or thin the plating? 2) If the resizing die will pull the case apart, are there issues with the case separating from extraction?

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    No thanks. I'll stick to free range brass and the product that's time tested.

I agree that it is nice to see innovation, but sometimes change just for the sake of change doesn't blow my skirt up. I wouldn't try to reload this stuff. It would just go in the scrap pile if I happened to pick it up.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia

Nothing is too strange for a Hooligan to try.

So far, about 100 ShellShock rounds of 115g HP and 147g HP 9mm through Glocks, Dan Wesson Guardian, Boberg, and a couple Browning Hi-Powers.

No firing or ejection issues. LabRadar velocities are very close to brass-casing 9mm. Easy magnetic pick-up but ShellShock cases are a little difficult to spot since our eyes are conditioned to look for shiny brass rather than shiny 'silver' in the gravel.

The dies, with poly springs to push the casing out, are high quality and function as designed.

More, after more experience gathered.

4570inMD

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    looks promising, a cheaper case that performs as well or better than brass for reloaders would definitely sell, but this has a number of glaring problems, and a WTF construction method. Cool someone is willing to spend their R&D budget for reloaders, but just doesn't look like the good outweighs the bad.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Did you see the separated case when a bullet puller was used on a round? It made the case unusable.

Combing dissimilar metals has never caused problems any where else, right? Especially in high pressure, high temperature environments.

^^^this...as someone who lived on a destroyer for the better part of 4 years I can attest to this...this will be the "chink" in the armor...seeing the corrosion caused by dissimilar metal...It's called galvanic corrosion and even corrosion resistant metals are not immune...add heat and you just increase the speed of the corrosion...

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Costs too much and takes special dies to reload it. I'll bet a dollar is makes it about as far as the various plastic cased rifle and pistol cases have.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Nothing is too strange for a Hooligan to try.

So far, about 100 ShellShock rounds of 115g HP and 147g HP 9mm through Glocks, Dan Wesson Guardian, Boberg, and a couple Browning Hi-Powers.

No firing or ejection issues. LabRadar velocities are very close to brass-casing 9mm. Easy magnetic pick-up but ShellShock cases are a little difficult to spot since our eyes are conditioned to look for shiny brass rather than shiny 'silver' in the gravel.

The dies, with poly springs to push the casing out, are high quality and function as designed.

More, after more experience gathered.

4570inMD

Thank you for some first hand info.
    Did you notice any differences in the crimp between brass and nickel alloy?
    Did you adjust powder amount because of different case capacity?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Question for the "brass scroungers".
    If factory ammo starts using these cases (cheaper than brass) and more are scattered around the ranges than brass cases, will you become a "silver hoarder"?

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    Thank you for some first hand info.
    Did you notice any differences in the crimp between brass and nickel alloy?
    Did you adjust powder amount because of different case capacity?

No crimping difference; I just adjust my Lee Factory Crimp die for the desired amount.

So far, I am using the same measured amount of powder that I developed for the bullets that I am using now. No powder compression on any of my loads; hence, case capacity doesn't come into play.

Accuracy, appears to be about the same out to 25 yards. Too cold & windy recently to do serious powder load trees.

4570inMD

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    If factory ammo starts using these cases (cheaper than brass) and more are scattered around the ranges than brass cases, will you become a "silver hoarder"?

I doubt it, there are already cheaper than brass cases scattered around the ranges and I just pick the brass ones from them and leave the steel and aluminum cases to rot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom