• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Youtube has told me that I must zero my rifles with only match ammo to get the best zero. Is this true? or just a preference.

update: ehh I misspelled "sight" dunno how to change the thread name though lol

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Zero it with the ammo you expect the sights to work best when shooting.

For example, don't zero with 77 grain .223 match ammo, then hunt with .50 grain varmint bullets.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Youtube has told me that I must zero my rifles with only match ammo to get the best zero. Is this true? or just a preference.

update: ehh I misspelled "sight" dunno how to change the thread name though lol

It is amazing that guys in USMC boot camp are able to shoot Expert with rifles that have been finger banged, and dropped many times, by numerous other guys using ammo that comes out of the magazine and who knows how old it is or who manufactured it.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

No.

You should zero with the ammo that you expect to be shooting through it. If you're going to shoot mostly 55 grain 5.56, zero using that. If you're going to be using mostly 77 grain Hornaday TAP or something, zero using that.

Your zero tells you that a certain round will go where your sights are pointed at a certain distance. Two different rounds may not have the same zero, so zeroing with a round you're never going to shoot again is silly.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As above. Though you may want to test it with a really high quality ammo, just to see how good the rifle is. If the best it is shooting is 3moa with match grade ammo and 3moa with bulk, if it is a brand new rifle...suspect either bad marksmanship, or start looking for problems with the rifle and/or call the manufacturer because it has a problem.

Zero it with whatever you need it zero'd for. My Sako .308 is zeroed with PPU SP 150gr rounds, because that is what I hunt with, it is about 2moa or a little less and cheap. I shoot mostly FMJ 147/150gr whatever out of it at the range and don't mind that my point of aim tends to be about an inch off.

My AR-15 is zeroed with IMI m193 and once I scope it, I may zero the scope with the same. If/when I start using it for hunting, I'll zero it using whatever I hunt with and probably leave it on that and just deal with the scope being a bit off shooting bulk FMJ out of it.

My shotgun ghost rings are zeroed for Federal truball 1oz slugs at 75yds. I of course shoot plenty of shot out of it and don't mind the fact that it is a few inches right and low at 40yds with #7.5, I've got a good 20" inch spread or so at that range with the mod choke in and at 25yds where I am taking shots at most clays shooting trap it is less than that. I haven't patterned turkey loads, but I am guessing again the difference isn't going to be huge, though if I am thinking of taking any 50yd shots I probably need to adjust it because of drop.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Zero it with what ever you have lying around. Using "match grade" ammo for this is a waste of money and time. Once zeroed, find ammo that that gun likes the best. That has always worked for me.

are you telling me the internet lied to me?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    On one level, a final zero with ammo that groups 1moa will potentially be more precise than zero with ammo giving 4moa.

But even at that, do initial zero with ammo of similar type and bullet weight. Then shoot a confirmation group with the good stuff, and make fine adjustment if needed.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You have to zero with the ammo you will be shooting. Zeroing with other ammo will mean the rifle will not shoot to the expected point.

If you want to see how well your rifle will shoot, as in minimum group size, you should use match ammo, as it is designed and produced to give maximum accuracy.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    First off what kind of rifle? Second off zero with what you expect to use for imortant stuff. For example, my trunk gun is zeroed with 64 grain soft point ammo. With M193 it shoots a skosh high at 100 yards. That skosh doesn't bother me.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I zero with inexpensive bulk grade stuff. I dial in match loads from there. Initially, I just want to consistently get on paper and see what factory loads are best. I used PMC and WWB on my Colt Match HBAR to get on paper at 100 yards. I started load development with 69 gr Sierra HPBTM bullets from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom