• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I’ve been following along some groups that talk about casting with zinc. I have everything ready to cast some zinc 12ga slugs, but the weather and timing haven’t worked out so far this Fall/Winter.

Anyone else cast with zinc before ?

This was posted this morning in one of the groups too

I have two 5gal buckets of zinc wheel weights that I started saving last year instead of throwing them out sorting lead.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Cast Boolits Forum

Zinc Casted Bullets

Casting ZINC bullets is tedious

What to do with zinc ingots? see post #19​

Last edited:

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Cast Boolits Forum

Zinc Casted Bullets

Casting ZINC bullets is tedious

What to do with zinc ingots? see post #19​

Yup, all good info and anyone looking at zinc should be aware of them. From one of the posts:

————
    “Here's a suggestion. Do you cast shotgun slugs, perchance? Zinc would be great for that and would punch through a lot of things even a Linotype slug might not. Lee makes a 1 oz (lead, that is) slug mould which is very spherical, so surface tension wouldn't be an issue messing up your cast there.”
    ———-

I have a cast iron melting pot, a steel Lyman slug mold and iron dipper.

You never know when some legislators might ban lead projectiles :innocent0

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    "bullets" will mean it has to be much longer because of the reduced density for the cartridge that was designed for lead's density. Plus not as soft/maleable to handle the rifling. I can see zinc on the inside like they do armor piercing, but when zinc penetrates more, hmm,

With a bullet density changing, you won't be able to use current tables cause the weight is different or with longer, the case space is different and so goes the pressure differnces.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    "bullets" will mean it has to be much longer because of the reduced density for the cartridge that was designed for lead's density. Plus not as soft/maleable to handle the rifling. I can see zinc on the inside like they do armor piercing, but when zinc penetrates more, hmm,

With a bullet density changing, you won't be able to use current tables cause the weight is different or with longer, the case space is different and so goes the pressure differnces.

So everything we got into reloading for :D

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

You may have to change the bullet mold design both because of the differences in how zinc vs lead flows to fill the mold. Also the change of density changes the Greenhill Formula as to the length of the projectile in order for any given design to be able to stabilize at a particular rifling twist rate.

Because of the difference in hardness and malleability your obturation to engage the rifling as well as the terminal ballistics expansion and wound cavity, both temporary and permanent, may effect the performance.

Lead density 11.34 g/cm3
    Zinc density 7.13 g/cm3

Link to Greenhill Formula

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom