• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    between them and PETA i swear. There isnt anything wrong w/ hunting as long as you eat what you kill. I cant stand ppl who kill a deer or any game animal for the trophy and waste the meat. All the deer heads in my garage are ones we ate. What point are they trying to make? that hunting is inhumane? I like how they say they arent trying to abolish hunting but it sure sounds like they are.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    On June 5, Microsoft brushed aside thousands of calls, letters and faxes it received from sportsmen and issued a statement that it “will continue its affiliation with the Humane Society of the United States.” It went on to express excitement with the partnership and tells sportsmen that it does “not plan to make changes in our relationships.”

Not that I needed another reason, to rid myself of the Redmond virus...

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Humane Society is against Hunting... that's funny.

Don't they kill off thousands of Dog's and Cat's a year to relieve overcrowding?

I'm not a hunter, but I understand the concept of resource management. Wildlife is a resource that does need to be managed... blah, why am I posting this here, you guys know what I'm about to say.

Apr 18, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Don't forget those fine PETA folks that were charged with animal cruelty for euthanizing cats and dogs in a van a dumping the carcasses in a dumpster. Animal lovers? Please.
    I hunt (and harvest RN!)- but I've never killed a dog.
    I'm the cruel one, right??

SamW

Apr 2, 2007
    Western Md
    I've been a hunter for 40+ years and I never intend to waste any meat. Wild game is the best meat there is. I'm a member of PETA, "People Eating Tasty Animals".

Oh yea and the second admendment has nothing to do with hunting.

Those people will never learn.

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    I completely agree that game should not be killed just "for fun", and most harvested animals suitable for eating should not go to waste. But in my view there are situations where it is appropriate to harvest animals without necessarily having to eat them. My god there are an enormous number of deer in Maryland alone. They don't have any natural predators left here, and humans have taken up much of their habitat. This makes for herd overcrowding which is unhealthy for the general population. It also poses a threat to humans. I don't know about you guys but I know many people who have hit deers with their cars because the damn things are everywhere. I was almost killed by one when a big buck suddenly jumped right out in front of me when I riding my motorcycle home one night. It was a majorly close call, and had we intersected I doubt I'd be here today. People are killed all across the country every year from deer and moose hits on cars and motorcycles. Hell, I've even almost been nailed on my mountain bike! I ride mountain bikes alot in the woods and because the bike is so quiet I've inadvertantly smuck up on all kinds of critters, including deer. More than once I've had them leap out in front of me as I was descending a hill at ~20mph or so. And if you think you can't be seriously hurt (or even killed) on a mountain bike by crashing hard at 20mph and whacking your head and body on rocks or trees - it happens! :D

So they definitely need to be managed, even if their meat goes to waste it's appropriate to harvest certain species down to healthy levels, both for their sake and our sake. And this doesn't even get into their impact on other animals that share the same habitat, or their additional negative impact at increasing the deer tick population and the corresponding higher incidence of lyme disease amongst humans. I've never killed a deer in my life, but I'm thankful for the hunters who harvest them for all our benefit. They need to be allowed to harvest more as far as I'm concerned.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Honestly nowadays in some counties you can harvest as many does as you want, and if you hunt in a county that does not have the unlimited doe you can still harvest I think almost 30 deer over all the seasons and with bonus stamps. I harvest between 5 and 7 or 8 deer year only bc I dont want to waste the meat. I stop hunting in January, eat all the meat which lasts till September, and start back up again right in time for the new season.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Honestly nowadays in some counties you can harvest as many does as you want, and if you hunt in a county that does not have the unlimited doe you can still harvest I think almost 30 deer over all the seasons and with bonus stamps. I harvest between 5 and 7 or 8 deer year only bc I dont want to waste the meat. I stop hunting in January, eat all the meat which lasts till September, and start back up again right in time for the new season.
    Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping 2007-2008 (*.pdf File)
    biggrin.gif

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Providing you hunt all 3 seasons; bow, muzzleloader, firearms, and only hunt in one of the counties where bow season does not have unlimted doe kills, you can harvest 36 deer. WOW! Thats a lot for the year.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Don't want to waste the meat? :thumbsup:

FHFH - The Venison Feeding Ministry
    Select a state to find the nearest participating butcher shop.
    Select a County: :)

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Wow, you're allowed to kill that many deer?? I always thought there were big restrictions on how many you could take. I know so many people that love to go deer hunting, I woulda thought for sure if they're all essentially given carte blanche on their allowable harvest, then we wouldn't have so many deer around. And why are there restrictions on the type of weapons that can be used at various times during deer hunting season? When the DNR restricts allowable hunting weapons to only bows and muzzleloaders (at times), aren't they attempting to curtail the effectiveness of the hunters and thereby decrease their harvest? Presumably to prevent the deer population from being culled too much?? ("too much" according to their standards, of course)

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Wow, you're allowed to kill that many deer?? I always thought there were big restrictions on how many you could take. I know so many people that love to go deer hunting, I woulda thought for sure if they're all essentially given carte blanche on their allowable harvest, then we wouldn't have so many deer around.

There's always the logistical issues of moving the carcasses around. One reason I haven't looked more into hunting is that I have no pickup to dump one in.

And why are there restrictions on the type of weapons that can be used at various times during deer hunting season? When the DNR restricts allowable hunting weapons to only bows and muzzleloaders (at times), aren't they attempting to curtail the effectiveness of the hunters and thereby decrease their harvest? Presumably to prevent the deer population from being culled too much?? ("too much" according to their standards, of course)

It's probably to give the bow and muzzleloaders a chance to down some critters without having to compete with other hunters using firearms that can take shots from longer distances. Have to get a lot closer with a bow than with .308 or 30.06.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Drott, Jims Sr can probably answer this better than me, but I belive they break it up into 3 seasons for a reason. At first long ago the seasons went, bow, muzzeloader, firearm bc of what you said. You can kill more deer with a firearm than a bow or muzzeloader, and more with a muzzeloader than a bow, arguably years ago. Since then we have compound bows and inline muzzeloaders. Muzzeloaders today are as accurate as most rifles up to 200 yards. Today it seems you will find die hard bow hunters who love the challenge or die hard muzzeloaders like Jim Sr., as goes for firarms guys. I hunt all 3 seasons. Avid hunters will harvest deer no matter what seaon or what weapon. The deer population has risen so much over the years it it uncontrollable. The DNR allows a hunter to legally harvest 12 deer in most counites per season. Do most people harvest that many? I doubt it, but the option is there. I think what the state needs is more hunters. That might help control the population IMHO.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Drott, Jims Sr can probably answer this better than me, but I belive they break it up into 3 seasons for a reason. At first long ago the seasons went, bow, muzzeloader, firearm bc of what you said. You can kill more deer with a firearm than a bow or muzzeloader, and more with a muzzeloader than a bow, arguably years ago. Since then we have compound bows and inline muzzeloaders. Muzzeloaders today are as accurate as most rifles up to 200 yards. Today it seems you will find die hard bow hunters who love the challenge or die hard muzzeloaders like Jim Sr., as goes for firarms guys. I hunt all 3 seasons. Avid hunters will harvest deer no matter what seaon or what weapon. The deer population has risen so much over the years it it uncontrollable. The DNR allows a hunter to legally harvest 12 deer in most counites per season. Do most people harvest that many? I doubt it, but the option is there. I think what the state needs is more hunters. That might help control the population IMHO.

I bow hunt also! :thumbsup:
    My back-up is a camera, (frame from a movie I shot!) :innocent0
    12-8-02_2.jpg

He walked that day. :)
    He came back during Muzzleloader season. :sad20:
    Not a smart move! :D

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I really, really want to go deer hunting in MD, but I have yet to get my hunter safety course. There are only a couple of courses offered down where I live, and each year they fill up before I can reserve a slot, even though I call on the first day. I think they fill up via the good ol' boy network. I know there are plenty offered elsewhere in the state, but I can't seem to find one that I can fit into my schedule with the long drive that is inevitably involved. I've been hunting all my life, and this is starting to really annoy me. :mad54:

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county

your deer meat actually last that long ? I'm almost out of venison, luckly i have plenty of wild boar to tide me over till deer season. and I shot 11 deer this year, only reason i stopped was i got tired of draggin them out and cleaning them and both of my freezers where full.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    your deer meat actually last that long ? I'm almost out of venison, luckly i have plenty of wild boar to tide me over till deer season. and I shot 11 deer this year, only reason i stopped was i got tired of draggin them out and cleaning them and both of my freezers where full.

invest in the amzaing vacuum sealer. Between my bro, his gf, and me we shot over 15 deer last year. Vacuum sealed all the meat after we ground it, steaked it, scrapped it, roasts and whatever else. Still have half a freezer left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom