• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    I really, really want to go deer hunting in MD, but I have yet to get my hunter safety course. There are only a couple of courses offered down where I live, and each year they fill up before I can reserve a slot, even though I call on the first day. I think they fill up via the good ol' boy network. I know there are plenty offered elsewhere in the state, but I can't seem to find one that I can fit into my schedule with the long drive that is inevitably involved. I've been hunting all my life, and this is starting to really annoy me. :mad54:

I am not sure about retired military but I know active and reserve military do not need to take a safety course. I have been hunting in maryland for about 5 years and never have taken the course. I just show them my military ID and the requirement is waived.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I am not sure about retired military but I know active and reserve military do not need to take a safety course. I have been hunting in maryland for about 5 years and never have taken the course. I just show them my military ID and the requirement is waived.

I'm not active, reserve, or retired, so unfortunately that won't work for me. I did 7 years and bolted. It is jacked up though that a few years ago I would have been considered "safe" to hunt in MD because I would have had an active duty ID, but now that my CAC card says "Navy Contractor" I am not "safe". Go figure. :tap:

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I have not heard that one?

HUNTER EDUCATION AND SAFETY
    REQUIREMENT
    To hunt or purchase a hunting license in Maryland, state law
    requires:
    Presentation of a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and
    Hunting Safety (required for junior licenses), or
    Certification that you held a hunting license issued prior to July 1,
    1977, or
    Certification that you hunted on private property prior to July 1,
    1977, and were legally exempt from purchasing a hunting license,
    or
    Certification that you are purchasing a nonresident license and will
    only hunt waterfowl.
    Exception: Compliance with the Hunter Education and Safety
    Requirement does not apply to those shooting under a Regulated
    Shooting Area Hunting License. See pages 16 and 23.
    See page 20 for Maryland Hunter Education information.
    Note: RESIDENT Junior Hunters (under 16 years of age) will be
    entitled to a one-time FREE annual hunting license, bow stamp, and
    muzzleloader stamp upon successful completion of a Hunter Safety
    and Education course (bring form provided by course instructor to
    any DNR Licensing and Registration Service Center, see page 13).

I have had active, military, FBI, NSA, & Police, in my classes, (as students.)

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    some places still require you to take the safety course even if you are exempt. The FDA property in Beltsville is one such area. They also make you do a shooting qual in order to hunt that property.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I have not heard that one?

I did a little research, and you are correct. There is no exclusion for military members. It appears that that is a common misconception, as I know numerous active duty servicemen who got a hunting license with nothing more than an active duty ID. In fact, I don't think I know any active duty hunters who have taken the course. Oops!

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    some places still require you to take the safety course even if you are exempt. The FDA property in Beltsville is one such area. They also make you do a shooting qual in order to hunt that property.
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/shootqual.asp

From memory,2006-07: (do not quote)

Shotgun: 3 of 5 in a 9" pie plate @ 40yds.
    Rifle: 3 of 5 in a 9" pie plate @ 75yds.
    Hand gun: 3 of 5 in a 9" pie plate @ 30yds.

Those that fail, need range time, or a different sport. ;)

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    I was reading my guide to hunting and trapping in maryland. The hunter safety course in and of itself is not a requirement to get a license. (it is only required for junior licenses).

What is required it proof of competency in firearms.

Taken from DNR website.
    Presentation of a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunter Safety (required for junior licensees), or
    Certification that you held a hunting license issued prior to July 1, 1977, or
    Certification that you hunted on private property prior to July 1, 1977, and were legally exempt from purchasing a hunting license, or
    Certification that you are purchasing a nonresident license and will only hunt waterfowl.

The hunter safety course fullfills the requirement for the firearms competency.

I believe this is how so many millitary members get there licenses without the safety course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom