• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    Well, I had a pretty cool experience today. Cruising the edge of some phrag in the snow on public this morning. I had already tracked one buck to his bed…-ish. Turns out he button hooked about 10 yards downwind and busted me. Still fun.
    Anyway, I paused on the edge of the frag trying to decide how I was going to get out of there when this critter stood up in the edge of the tall stuff across a little clearing and started shaking the snow off itself. I felt like there was an optical illusion in front of me because I have never seen a pattern more perfectly match the conditions of the day.

See if you can spot her in this pic.

Attachments

• 23B7511F-8D65-4C6B-9A40-F48D01EDA492.jpeg
      23B7511F-8D65-4C6B-9A40-F48D01EDA492.jpeg
      810.1 KB · Views: 85

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    Skinned her out and going to tan it and put it up on the wall. Of note, she did have some of the piebald physical distinctions that DNR talks about on its page. Bit of a Roman nose. Short legs. Arched back

Attachments

• 484F986C-766B-4706-AEC9-AF83F12613F5.jpeg
      484F986C-766B-4706-AEC9-AF83F12613F5.jpeg
      679.5 KB · Views: 79
    • 4BFF451F-46A4-4967-8166-AF8205862ECD.jpeg
      4BFF451F-46A4-4967-8166-AF8205862ECD.jpeg
      668.6 KB · Views: 81

CaptainAwesome

Jun 1, 2013
    Pikesville MD
    Well, I had a pretty cool experience today. Cruising the edge of some phrag in the snow on public this morning. I had already tracked one buck to his bed…-ish. Turns out he button hooked about 10 yards downwind and busted me. Still fun.
    Anyway, I paused on the edge of the frag trying to decide how I was going to get out of there when this critter stood up in the edge of the tall stuff across a little clearing and started shaking the snow off itself. I felt like there was an optical illusion in front of me because I have never seen a pattern more perfectly match the conditions of the day.

See if you can spot her in this pic.
    Great story, even better, the images. Wow !

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    That is super cool, congrats
    Thank you. I know I told myself that I wouldn't hesitate again when I saw my first piebald on public in December but my brain wouldn't register it as real. But I also told myself that I'd never see one again to even have the chance to not hesitate. I was pretty shocked to have this opportunity. I guess the lesson is the more time you spend in the woods, the more likely you are to have unique experiences. That has definitely been my season this year.

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    Ready to go to Keystone, or get taken care of at home. Would be a cool project for the kids.

Attachments

• B32BBA43-8829-4537-BB41-D6A45B3F1743.jpeg
      B32BBA43-8829-4537-BB41-D6A45B3F1743.jpeg
      360 KB · Views: 42

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Almost pulled off the perfect hit on this guy. I had a chance to blast him back in 2020 during gun but had to pack it in early to take the kid to sports and have only caught glimpses of him since then including an encounter during the 2022 rut while walking my dog. He was out of his goddamn mind chasing does and walked right in front of us along the street at the edge of the woods. His rack is down to 7 this year. A lot of gray in the face in person. He had been coming in to one of my feeders on the regular with a crew of about 6 other bucks. Mostly a mix of spikes and 4ptrs. I moved a stand along a trail they use to approach it. He sent his lead in - an equally old grizzled buck that had recently shed. As he was following his lt - I drew. As soon as I hit that back wall on the triax I heard/felt a thunk - and they all heard it too. Noses were down and there was no alarm as I raised the bow. Just the thunk did it. It was also that quiet out. No blowing. Just deer hauling ass in every direction. No sign that they actually spotted me.
    Hoping he makes it to next season. Is at least 6 assuming 2 1/2 at the youngest in 2020.

T__00130.JPG

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'll probably be out tomorrow morning for one last try from my stand. Might the last time I ever hunt this property as my about to be ex wife is taking it, and I suspect she isn't going to want me back here hunting at all.

Though I'll see if I can trade some assistance for permission to hunt (she is pretty hopeless when it comes to taking care of a house, and no way she is going to cut a few cords of firewood to length with a chain saw for the wood boiler).

But I can't figure I will be back. So, I look at tomorrow morning as my last chance to get up in my stand here.

Also I pulled my game camera pictures. Another set of pics of a coyote from about 2 weeks ago. Also I've got a 3 point on camera in the process of shedding an antler. Kind of cool seeing it hanging off there.

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    I'll probably be out tomorrow morning for one last try from my stand. Might the last time I ever hunt this property as my about to be ex wife is taking it, and I suspect she isn't going to want me back here hunting at all.

Though I'll see if I can trade some assistance for permission to hunt (she is pretty hopeless when it comes to taking care of a house, and no way she is going to cut a few cords of firewood to length with a chain saw for the wood boiler).

But I can't figure I will be back. So, I look at tomorrow morning as my last chance to get up in my stand here.

Also I pulled my game camera pictures. Another set of pics of a coyote from about 2 weeks ago. Also I've got a 3 point on camera in the process of shedding an antler. Kind of cool seeing it hanging off there.
    Divorce is the worst. I'd be happy to point you towards some good public for next season. Also, I'd highly recommend The Rational Male by Rollo Tomassi. Changed my life post split and I'd wish I'd read it much sooner. Same story for several friends.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Divorce is the worst. I'd be happy to point you towards some good public for next season. Also, I'd highly recommend The Rational Male by Rollo Tomassi. Changed my life post split and I'd wish I'd read it much sooner. Same story for several friends.
    Much appreciated.

My boss went through divorce too. It wasn’t her choice. But she was telling me yesterday when we talked about it that divorce was the best thing that happened to her that she didn’t choose.

I grew up with rock solid family values and divorce was just not a thing you did with kids.

Final mediation today, but I am glad the whole thing is happening. I am already vastly happier now than when I was trying to put a smile on my face and pretend my marriage was great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom