• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Is that too hard? I am great with tools but this will be the first one
    Lots of people claim AR's are like Legos. Unfortunately that's no longer true.

People do get lucky from time to time by throwing one together without checking things. Building an AR is closer to building a 1911 than most people realize.

a117240

Jun 16, 2023
    Silver Spring
    All of that stuff, just looking some of it up, seems to be top-shelf in terms of price and quality. I should put together a quick spreadsheet to see what the bottom line would be all is said and done in terms of price, and because of that I wonder if we're getting pranked.

For me, my first AR was a total budget build. Actually, all of my ARs are budget builds - working to get a good "bang for the buck" on price vs quality. My first build was a blem Del Ton midlength rifle build. I've since replaced the trigger, but otherwise it's still like it was when I got it, and it had a completed upper, so I didn't really "build" that one.

They all shoot well within the specs of what the US Government expects out of an M4, and they all function without issue - no jams, misfeeds, etc.

I think that the AR platform is one of those things that has been unnecessarily modded and customized well past the point of diminishing returns, all under the guise of "if you're going to trust your life with it, you NEED to spend a lot of money on it."

It's like the doctor or lawyer who wants to spend ungodly amounts of money on a custom guitar from either boutique guitar makers, or places like the Fender, Gibson, or Paul Reed Smith custom shops, plug them into expensive boutique pedals that run into expensive boutique amps, and then they never gig - they just suck as musicians in their practice room at home.

At least they can't blame the gear.
    I went to one of the gun shops in Rockville, the gun I was looking at was $2400, then someone said why don't you build one for yourself? With that price tag, you can make much better AR.
    Then I saw a great-looking AR on fb and asked the guy if he can share his built sheet, so he gave me his sheet, which is the parts I mentioned.
    Now my question is, how do I know these are MD compliance(The lower receiver), even if I buy the parts and if they match and assemble very well together? OR is it better or easier just to buy a complete AR

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    At bare minimum you need to check headspace.
    That's probably the most important thing. Building an AR correctly will require the right tools as well. Punches, headspace gauges, armorer's wrench, vice, vice blocks for the upper/lower, torque wrench, as well as all the basic tools. I have an entire set of tools specifically for AR building.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I went to one of the gun shops in Rockville, the gun I was looking at was $2400, then someone said why don't you build one for yourself? With that price tag, you can make much better AR.
    Then I saw a great-looking AR on fb and asked the guy if he can share his built sheet, so he gave me his sheet, which is the parts I mentioned.
    Now my question is, how do I know these are MD compliance(The lower receiver), even if I buy the parts and if they match and assemble very well together? OR is it better or easier just to buy a complete AR
    Easier to buy completed gun. More fun and you will get the exact gun you want if you build. The only MD thing is the barrel, it has to be advertised or marked as an HBAR, the barrel in your list will not fly in MD. Also go with a 16" barrel unless you want to SBR it. I'm not going to get into the pistol brace discussion. If you have a special purpose in mind building will get you exactly what you want without having to swap out a lot of parts.

a117240

Jun 16, 2023
    Silver Spring
    I took the time to do a quick workup on the price. I didn't dig to find the best price available for the parts, I just checked the normal places like Midway USA, Optics Planet, etc.

It's a $2000 build without the optic or suppressor, and it's a $4000 build with them. Give or take. Sheesh - I don't think I have $4k in the four I have total, including optics! I think I worked out one time that I spent about $700 each, give or take, on the "twins" - the matching ARs I built for my me and my son.

View attachment 421159

I'm sure it would be a solid build though - it would probably look pretty cool too with some of the parts being clear anodized.
    Thank you for your reply, Honestly I don't have 4K for my first gun, at most maybe around 2K, but prefer much less.
    I noticed people saying "Get this gun and then upgrade later". I was like what's the point of spending money and then upgrading later? I'd prefer to pay one time and have a solid build for many years. BTW those guns you built look great

a117240

Jun 16, 2023
    Silver Spring
    Yeah why not just buy a high end pre built gun with that budget? That way you get customer support and some kind of warranty. He also seems to have ghosted.
    Bcs I want to save money and also maybe build a better gun at the end.
    Which pre-build AR maker do you suggest?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Thank you for your reply, Honestly I don't have 4K for my first gun, at most maybe around 2K, but prefer much less.
    I noticed people saying "Get this gun and then upgrade later". I was like what's the point of spending money and then upgrading later? I'd prefer to pay one time and have a solid build for many years. BTW those guns you built look great
    The LWRC DI guns may be worth looking into. They used to run around $1k and are IMO very nice. I like the ambidextrous features.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Ah - ok, I see what you mean now and why you've got that parts list.

Provided that the barrel is long enough, the main thing you need to worry about in terms of being compliant to the regulations of the state of Maryland is that it's an HBAR - heavy barrel. For that you need to bit a bit more specific. Otherwise it's all good to go.

That's probably the most important thing. Building an AR correctly will require the right tools as well. Punches, headspace gauges, armorer's wrench, vice, vice blocks for the upper/lower, torque wrench, as well as all the basic tools. I have an entire set of tools specifically for AR building.
    Bountied brings up a great point - I have a whole set of tools too and it's all the same stuff he has on his list. The good news is that we're a great bunch of folks here and undoubtedly if you really wanted to build an AR vs buy one, you'd be able to find someone to help you with that task. The two in the pics I posted above are ground-up builds where they were built with a collection of parts, and it's really not terribly difficult to do provided a person is mechanically inclined.

Something to consider though, do you need a Gucci gun, or do you just want a solid AR rifle to take to the range? The rifle build from the parts list above is Gucci - fairly high end stuff. Remember, the AR platform at its core is a battle rifle, and once you get past a certain point of quality, it's diminishing returns unless it's actually going to see combat, or you build it as a competition gun.

I appreciate that! Those were guns that I built on a bit of a budget - in hindsight I might have gone with a different handguard, or maybe a better stock or grip, and eventually I'll probably upgrade the optics, so you have a point in getting what you want from the jump. With that said, I'm not disappointed with either of those two in their current configuration.

a117240

Jun 16, 2023
    Silver Spring
    Good choice on components. Buy once cry once. That being said good parts don't mean all the parts will work together well. It's not the cost, it is how the sum of parts interact together.

The Centurion rails antirotation tabs may have to be trimmed to work on the vltor MUR. May.
    Thank you for the replaying, Yes I like the look a lot, that's the main reason I am looking after this build sheet

a117240

Jun 16, 2023
    Silver Spring
    Not sure if it would save money per se but you know the gun is going to work (hopefully) right out of the box. I like the LWRC ambi offerings, the DI series won't break the bank and the trigger it comes with is pretty good. I'm not sure about the warranties I guess that would be a case by case for the different companies.

If your goal is to save money then you wouldn't be going crazy on the parts list like the OP. You build a solid rifle for under $750 if you find good deals on quality parts.
    Do you have a modest build sheet to share, please?

a117240

Jun 16, 2023
    Silver Spring
    Lots of people claim AR's are like Legos. Unfortunately that's no longer true.

People do get lucky from time to time by throwing one together without checking things. Building an AR is closer to building a 1911 than most people realize.
    good point, maybe I am better off buying a pre-built gun then. Any suggestion?

a117240

Jun 16, 2023
    Silver Spring
    Easier to buy completed gun. More fun and you will get the exact gun you want if you build. The only MD thing is the barrel, it has to be advertised or marked as an HBAR, the barrel in your list will not fly in MD. Also go with a 16" barrel unless you want to SBR it. I'm not going to get into the pistol brace discussion. If you have a special purpose in mind building will get you exactly what you want without having to swap out a lot of parts.
    Thank you
    No, I don't want SBR. but I want a 5.56/ 223 BCG so I can shoot both calibers
    Also, do you know where can I get one of those scroll barrels?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Thank you
    No, I don't want SBR. but I want a 5.56/ 223 BCG so I can shoot both calibers
    Also, do you know where can I get one of those scroll barrels?
    You mean like a spiral fluted barrel? For 223/556 you'll want a Wylde chamber for the barrel. A 1:8 twist will work over a larger range of bullet weights. If you are only shooting 55gr the 1:9 will probably be the best.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    You mean like a spiral fluted barrel? For 223/556 you'll want a Wylde chamber for the barrel. A 1:8 twist will work over a larger range of bullet weights. If you are only shooting 55gr the 1:9 will probably be the best.
    You should probably build the gun around the barrel since that is the most important part of the rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom