• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a117240

Jun 16, 2023
    Silver Spring
    Ah - ok, I see what you mean now and why you've got that parts list.

Provided that the barrel is long enough, the main thing you need to worry about in terms of being compliant to the regulations of the state of Maryland is that it's an HBAR - heavy barrel. For that you need to bit a bit more specific. Otherwise it's all good to go.

Bountied brings up a great point - I have a whole set of tools too and it's all the same stuff he has on his list. The good news is that we're a great bunch of folks here and undoubtedly if you really wanted to build an AR vs buy one, you'd be able to find someone to help you with that task. The two in the pics I posted above are ground-up builds where they were built with a collection of parts, and it's really not terribly difficult to do provided a person is mechanically inclined.

Something to consider though, do you need a Gucci gun, or do you just want a solid AR rifle to take to the range? The rifle build from the parts list above is Gucci - fairly high end stuff. Remember, the AR platform at its core is a battle rifle, and once you get past a certain point of quality, it's diminishing returns unless it's actually going to see combat, or you build it as a competition gun.

I appreciate that! Those were guns that I built on a bit of a budget - in hindsight I might have gone with a different handguard, or maybe a better stock or grip, and eventually I'll probably upgrade the optics, so you have a point in getting what you want from the jump. With that said, I'm not disappointed with either of those two in their current configuration.
    thank you for your great insight,
    Honestly, I am just looking for a nice, reliable, and durable gun. The cosmetic look is the last thing I pay attention to. (Maybe only if the price is very close between the black option and different color)

a117240

Jun 16, 2023
    Silver Spring
    You mean like a spiral fluted barrel? For 223/556 you'll want a Wylde chamber for the barrel. A 1:8 twist will work over a larger range of bullet weights. If you are only shooting 55gr the 1:9 will probably be the best.
    Yes, I didn't know what does it call, spiral fluted barrel. Atlantic Guns has one which is very pretty

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The parts all seem solid but, IMO, many of them are unnecessary. You’re not getting any additional performance out of that VLTOR MUR upper for ~$200 that you can’t get with a sub $100 BCM upper. In fact, I’d still take the BCM. Sionics is known to make good stuff but again, they’re NP3 coating is not necessarily any better than a quality in spec phosphate/CL BCG.

Nothing wrong with the parts, in fact I’d say it’ll make a nice build, but I’d cut out some of the fancy nonsense to put towards quality optics and ammo.

You hit diminishing returns big time after ~$1100-1200 in raw parts. If you’re pushing past that, I’d take a hard look at what you’re actually getting for that price. All that said, a quality duty grade rifle that will outlast you can be had for $800-$1000 in parts all day long.

Just my 0.02

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Bcs everyone says you can build a much better gun if you buy parts and assemble it yourself
    The devil is in the details with assembly. If this is your first build I can say confidently that it will not be as well assembled as a DD, LWRC, Colt, etc. If your plan is to assemble this by way of YouTube instruction, I’d think twice. Plus, prices have come back down to earth a bit and a nice rifle can be had for not much more than your parts list. The biggest draw for building your own is because Maryland AR laws limit our selection pretty significantly.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    The devil is in the details with assembly. If this is your first build I can say confidently that it will not be as well assembled as a DD, LWRC, Colt, etc. If your plan is to assemble this by way of YouTube instruction, I’d think twice. Plus, prices have come back down to earth a bit and a nice rifle can be had for not much more than your parts list. The biggest draw for building your own is because Maryland AR laws limit our selection pretty significantly.
    I decided to purchase an upper instead of trying to build it. Do you by chance know if BCM has a 14.5" heavy upper? Didn't see anything marked heavy....My plan is for an AFAB 2.225" compensator.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The parts all seem solid but, IMO, many of them are unnecessary. You’re not getting any additional performance out of that VLTOR MUR upper for ~$200 that you can’t get with a sub $100 BCM upper. In fact, I’d still take the BCM. Sionics is known to make good stuff but again, they’re NP3 coating is not necessarily any better than a quality in spec phosphate/CL BCG.

Nothing wrong with the parts, in fact I’d say it’ll make a nice build, but I’d cut out some of the fancy nonsense to put towards quality optics and ammo.

You hit diminishing returns big time after ~$1100-1200 in raw parts. If you’re pushing past that, I’d take a hard look at what you’re actually getting for that price. All that said, a quality duty grade rifle that will outlast you can be had for $800-$1000 in parts all day long.

Just my 0.02
    I think the main issue is that the OP might not know the difference - they might be coming into this with almost no knowledge. You and I can make informed decisions about where to cut things back, but that's because we've been fiddling with this stuff for a few years.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I think the main issue is that the OP might not know the difference - they might be coming into this with almost no knowledge. You and I can make informed decisions about where to cut things back, but that's because we've been fiddling with this stuff for a few years.
    I think he said some guy on FB gave him the list of stuff to get to build a gun.

For your 1st AR I think buying a complete rifle is the way to go. Then take it all apart and replace everything. Then buy stripped upper/lowers after you figure out what you like then build like 7 more rifles for different purposes and the AR cycle is complete. Oh then start building SBRs, then buy another safe because you ran out of room, get some cans, try a .22 conversion, sell it, buy a dedicated AR-22... you get the idea.

a117240

Jun 16, 2023
    Silver Spring

Just my 0.02
    Thank you for replaying, honestly, I didn't see any MD compliance AR below $1500,
    And when I look for parts, there are complete lower from $125 to $650. which is pretty confusing for a beginner like me. Do you have any suggestions for pre-built AR?
    Also, any of you guys might be able to help me get together a decent build?

Last edited:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Thank you for replaying, honestly, I didn't see any MD compliance AR below $1500,
    And when I look for parts, there are complete lower from $125 to $650. which is pretty confusing for a beginner like me
    Try this, it'll get you into the addiction. They used to be $499 but inflation and all that.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    And when I look for parts, there are complete lower from $125 to $650. which is pretty confusing for a beginner like me
    Plenty of options below that price.

If you're near Rockville, why don't you pop into industry partner Engage Armament, and talk with them about lowers, uppers, and complete rifles.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    And when I look for parts, there are complete lower from $125 to $650. which is pretty confusing for a beginner like me. Do you have any suggestions for pre-built AR?
    Sure thing.

Firstly, I would not get the Ruger AR. It's ok but it's hobby grade at best. I've personally seen serious issues with two that I have handled. Based on what it seems you are looking for, you should avoid the Ruger.

Windham Weaponry makes a quality MD compliant AR, but as far as I know they are pretty basic builds in terms of rails and furniture.

Colt makes a model 6920 with a heavy barrel but it can be difficult to find and like the Windham, is basic in furniture.

LWRC makes friggin excellent rifles and their DI models aren't too crazy. Their piston rifles are super expensive, but you would be well suited with their DI (Direct Impingement) models. They are made in MD to boot! I believe you can visit their factor and purchase there, if I am not mistaken.

Daniel Defense makes the V7Pro and the V11Pro model with a heavy barrel (Strengh-to-weight profile per DD), although DD stopped shipping them to dealers in Maryland because they were concerned around the legality of them here, despite them being named as OK on the "banned list". Once in a while you may find on on the shelf or you can search for one on the secondary.

LMT (Lewis Machine and Tool) rifles are also not banned and are excellent.

IWI makes the "Zion 15" which is a solid mid-tier rifle for the price. They make it with a mLok rail I believe as well. Despite it being an Israeli company, they are made locally in PA.

For reference, here is the MD list that you can search for specific models https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Notice the "banned" versus "Not banned" distinction for certain models.

I second the above comment about Engage. They are a solid shop and can help you navigate the right decisions.

a117240

Jun 16, 2023
    Silver Spring
    Plenty of options below that price.

If you're near Rockville, why don't you pop into industry partner Engage Armament, and talk with them about lowers, uppers, and complete rifles.
    The hole point of coming to this forum was not going to a gun shop, otherwise I know and did visited all of them already.

I'll order the part and will assemble it myself. Couple of pins and punch and screws are not rocket science. Mess the first one, will do it better second time,
    Thank you for suggestions

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The hole point of coming to this forum was not going to a gun shop, otherwise I know and did visited all of them already. Like seriously!!
    I'll order the part and will assemble it myself. Couple of pins and punch and screws are not rocket science. Mess the first one, will do it better second time,
    I work on AR's for a living. I'm not trying to tell you what to do. Just offering some caution before you start banging it together.

Many people mess them up and don't even know. Sometimes the shops and manufacturers can't even get it right.

Many owners who build have issue and wjen they do, they have difficulty finding someone competent to make it right.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The hole point of coming to this forum was not going to a gun shop, otherwise I know and did visited all of them already.

:lol:

Consider a build class at School of the American Rifle.

I’ll recommend that even though the owner wouldn’t piss on me if I were on fire. It’s worth your time. You’ll change your tune a bit.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Maybe but proper tools give you a better shot of not breaking things like say trigger guard ears, or scraping up your lower trying to get a bolt release pin in, or chipping away the anodizing that serves many purposes other than beauty for the gun. spend 2k on a gun but scrimp on $100 or so of basic tools seems counter intuitive to me.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick

You will still have to go through an FFL to get a lower receiver whether you order it online it or buy it from the FFL. If you order it online, the FFL will charge you a transfer fee, which can run anywhere from $25 to $75 or more.
    There will also be a 7 day wait and the need to fill out a 77R.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Honestly, I am just looking for a nice, reliable, and durable gun.

Disclaimers - I haven't read complete thread ( but cought themes on first page ) . And I could have quoted snippets from multiple of your posts , but I'm lazy at the moment . So hear goes :

Are you making a project out of building the * Ultimate AR-15 , or do you just want a " nice , reliable , durable AR , capable of most things reasonably expected from an AR-15 ?
    Reasonably decent Md Legal AR are available complete under $1k . If not from one particular shop in Rockville , check the MDS Industry Partners , plus shops recommend to you here .

There is a Yardstick of Maryland Legal AR-15 quality & value , the Windom HBC .

[ Yardstick Refresher - If X gun costs y% more than an HBC , there needs to be objective reasons why it's y% better . Or if it's 90% as good as HBC for 80% price , it's probably a good value , etc .]

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Because even with those you will still probably "have to settle" for a part or parts you do not want and will have to replace.
    If 90% of the gun is GTG you would only need to do minor upgrades to get what you want, like maybe the trigger or stock. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom