• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hey - once again I figured I'd tap into the forum's brain trust to ask a question from those more knowledgeable than me.

I went to Loch Raven Trap & Skeet yesterday, invited by my brother-in-law, to shoot a few rounds of trap. I have two 12 gauge shotguns - an old Winchester Model 12, and a not quite as old Remington 870 that at one point many many years ago I was pretty familiar with, so I took the 870.

It took me a couple of rounds to reacquaint myself with shooting a clay pigeon, but my last 5 rounds of the day were all solid hits.

one other guy with the group had an 870, but everyone else had a double gun of some kind, except for one guy who had a single barrel trap gun that looked to be pretty nice.

And now I've got the itch. I had a ton of fun, and I could see myself doing this semi-regularly. Of course with that itch comes the itch for a new firearm. Do I need another excuse? :party29: :D

I know that the world of O/U sporting clays guns is a deep and involved rabbit hole, but I wondered what would be something a guy could get that would be good enough to go a handful of times a year.

A couple of the guys there had Tristar shotguns and they seemed to be decent. I've casually Googled a few:

Tristar
    Mossberg International Silver Reserve
    CZ
    Beretta
    Browning
    ???

This is mostly just fact finding at this point, so I'm open to suggestions and to hear about experiences or horror stories others may have had. Again, this is for casual use - we're talking maybe 1000-1500 rounds per year, so it doesn't need to be something that's designed for heavy sporting clays use - just something that would be an upgrade from the 870.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    In my first foray into civilian shooting I had an 870 Wingmaster (blued, longer barrel/center post/prettier wood) pump for trap and a Browning Citori o/u for skeet.

Trap is slower and more relaxing. I’d like to get back into it.

Skeet with a pump gun is challenging!

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I picked up a 12ga. CZ O/U Drake for trap. It is a nice mid-level shotgun. Comes with chokes. For trap, over/under is the way to go. It is really tight and difficult to open but I am told that that goes away with lots of use.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    A shotgun geared for trap is not the best for sporting clays, which is not the best for skeet, and all vice versa. So you are probably looking for a "generalist" shotgun. You didn't mention budget, but the Beretta Silver Pigeons and Browning Citori's are a good place to start. People say that one or the other feels good in their hands, but not both. I find this to be true also, as I only own Beretta's and the Browning's feel like I'm holding a brick. Other folks are the opposite (plus I would never get a ported barrel and the Citori's are ported).

Stay away from CZ single trigger guns -- notoriously troublesome. The double trigger models are great, modestly priced guns (all built in Turkey BTW, not the Czech Republic). I have a 20 gauge Bobwhite G2 side by side that I absolutely love, and shoot about as well as my much more expensive Beretta 694.

No experience with Tristar.

If you want to get serious, head up to Joel Etchens in PA and get your gun there. They have a huge selection of guns and they will help you find what fits you best. You'll be glad you did.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I don't want to get serious - I want something that would be an upgrade from my 870 that I could also maybe use for upland game hunting.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I picked up a 12ga. CZ O/U Drake for trap. It is a nice mid-level shotgun. Comes with chokes. For trap, over/under is the way to go. It is really tight and difficult to open but I am told that that goes away with lots of use.
    See, I felt the opposite.

O/U is just to get the second shot off quickly for skeet.

I’d shoot trap with a break open single!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I don't want to get serious - I want something that would be an upgrade from my 870 that I could also maybe use for upland game hunting.
    Ill use a tri star O/U for trap shooting. They're cheap reliable and really do ok for the most part.
    + I didn't mind making mods to it for adjusting the stock for my self.
    My biggest gripe is strictly ergonomics and the high comb for after about a 100 rounds or some times even after about 25 it will hit me just right in the upper cheekbone pretty darn regularly.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I got one of these as well, for no real purpose other than of the multitudes of shotguns I own, I didn’t own an O/U, and I just wanted to fill that niche. I also didn’t want to get a $2k Browning or Berretta, at least until I found out if I like the O/U style or not.

This CZ is a good looking gun, really good fit and finish, feels solidly built, good looking wood, and deep good looking blueing.

I haven’t done anything with it yet, but I will eventually shoot trap, clays, upland game, and probably dove. I just have to get around to it, but just something to have fun with (maybe) a couple times per year, nothing of any serious nature.

If it’s the wrong gun for any one of these purposes, I don’t care one bit. It’s an entry-level step into the world of the O/U.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I want something that would be an upgrade from my 870 that I could also maybe use for upland game hunting.

Dedicated Trap Guns have distinctive stock porportions . Skeet , Sporting Clays , will have substantially similar Stock dimensions , but the trends for bbl lengths , and hence balance, vary widely between them .

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have a CZ redhead and love it. I spent around 1k for it a few years ago and it is a really nice looking gun for a modest price. My use is about the same as what you're looking to do. I shoot clays a few times a year and typically do one upland hunt a year. If I was serious about either sport, I would probably spend a bit more on a gun, but so far the CZ has been fine.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    Also, one of the best around guns is a Beretta 400 semi-auto. A great gun that can do it all, from waterfowl to upland birds to turkey's to the clay field.

Of course, it's not an O/U, but it's arguably more versatile.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Interested for the same reasons. Just shooting trap or skeet a few times a year. I’ll be watching this tread

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    In my first foray into civilian shooting I had an 870 Wingmaster (blued, longer barrel/center post/prettier wood) pump for trap and a Browning Citori o/u for skeet.

Trap is slower and more relaxing. I’d like to get back into it.

Skeet with a pump gun is challenging!
    Indeed it is lol

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I thought about selling my Tri -star but thought about painting it camo and using it for shooting geese.
    I fit an adjustable butt plate to it too.
    The thing about the Tri -stars that I noticed. Is that you have to completely break it open to make sure you reset the trigger effectively.
    If you open it to the minimum just enough to load and clear the spent shell out, or in a hurry.
    The trigger may not reset.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Trap guns typically have a bit different stock configurations and higher ribs in general. If that is all you plan on shooting most LGS that carry them can advise accordingly. If you want a more all around SG the options are limitless. One thing I can tell you from personal experience and those of many folks I shoot with is to try and buy once and cry once. That said, budget dictates for all of us and more than anything any decent shotgun can work over multiple disciplines, but it has to FIT YOU. I learned that the hard way over several different guns. I’ve owned CZ O/U, browning, CG and others. After tons of practice and tournament rounds I ended up going back to the platform that fit ME best. I hunt with a beretta A400, so I bought a Coles A400 clays gun. I shoot mostly sporting so with 30” barrels and it fit like a glove and now I am comfortable with the same platform for clays and hunting. A semi is what works for me and I’m happy. No matter what you get I can’t encourage getting fit more strenuously.

Good luck with your search and enjoy breaking as many as you can. It’s definitely an addiction. :thumbsup:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    A Savage 555 would be a pretty good choice for you. We use them at Broadcreek with the Scouts and don't have any issues with them.

Downsides are it is light so it kicks more than your normal clay gun. No ejectors so you have to pull the shells out. And the action needs to be all the way open to get the lower shell in or out.

None of the downsides are a deal breaker for a $500 shotgun

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    If you can't afford/justify a new or lightly used Berreta, Browning or Caesar Guerini then stick to your pump or an auto. I've seen it many times over 40+ years of shooting shotguns, people buying cheap O/U's and having issues with them. Like someone said above Joel Etchen is THE place to go for an O/U whether you're spending $1500 or $15,000+. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom