• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    If you can't afford/justify a new or lightly used Berreta, Browning or Caesar Guerini then stick to your pump or an auto. I've seen it many times over 40+ years of shooting shotguns, people buying cheap O/U's and having issues with them. Like someone said above Joel Etchen is THE place to go for an O/U whether you're spending $1500 or $15,000+. LOL.
    Truth

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    WOW Lots of great responses - thanks! I've read all of them and they have given me some food for thought.

I have a CZ redhead and love it. I spent around 1k for it a few years ago and it is a really nice looking gun for a modest price. My use is about the same as what you're looking to do. I shoot clays a few times a year and typically do one upland hunt a year. If I was serious about either sport, I would probably spend a bit more on a gun, but so far the CZ has been fine.
    I am looking at CZ for the sole reason that being retired military, I'm a member of the CZ First Responder program, so I get discount pricing on whatever I might choose to get, but I'm certainly going to keep options open. I'll probably just continue to use the ol' 870 for a bit though.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    WOW Lots of great responses - thanks! I've read all of them and they have given me some food for thought.

I am looking at CZ for the sole reason that being retired military, I'm a member of the CZ First Responder program, so I get discount pricing on whatever I might choose to get, but I'm certainly going to keep options open. I'll probably just continue to use the ol' 870 for a bit though.
    Something to remember for an additional thought, a shot gun is a dull tool for shooting. Always has been. Just ask yourself what exactly is the most significant improvement in them say for like the last 75 to a hundred years other than a price tag?
    I always get a LOL when some of these high falutin snobs, shooting with their multi thousand dollar guns get made a fool of by some kid or a red neck waterfowl hunter with a Mossberg 500 or a poke stalk H&r.
    Thats when they start going on about etiquette and needing shell catchers and all that. Bitching about chips that only they can see.
    Ive been watching it my whole life, at pigeon shoots, trap shoots and sporting clays ranges and in the field when I used to shoot geese for a guide buddy of mine so his clients could claim a few birds and get a nice tip for beer money.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    ^^ you bring up some good points, and it's not limited to shotguns. I see it all the time with guys throwing all kinds of money at pistols - rather than work technique and actually learn how to shoot, they throw money at it thinking they can buy accuracy.

For me, I could certainly have fun with my 870. Back years and years ago shooting blue rocks with Dad from a hand thrower, I had gotten to a point where I was hitting 10/10 more often than not with that shotgun, (we'd take turns of 10) but I can afford to buy a gun, so why not, right?

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    ^^ you bring up some good points, and it's not limited to shotguns. I see it ask the time with guys throwing all kinds of money at pistols - rather than work technique and actually learn how to shoot, they throw money at it thinking they can buy accuracy.

For me, I could certainly have fun with my 870. Back years and years ago shooting blue rocks with Dad from a hand thrower, I had gotten to a point where I was hitting 10/10 more often than not with that shotgun, (we'd take turns of 10) but I can afford to buy a gun, so why not, right?
    Yeah and thats the truth,
    But a nice shotgun that works is a nice thing to have about one's self too none the less.
    Everyone has their thing that they like to enjoy and theirs nothing wrong with that either.
    Either you have it, or you dont, or sometimes your somewhere in the middle.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Browning Citori, Broadway, BT-99, whats funny is the while not a O/U, the older 1100 trap (TC grade) 30" was my first trap / skeet gun, still shoots great. Never did get into the thousands of dollar Trap n Skeet guns...but hey that's just me.

Last edited:

Carroll

Jul 19, 2022
    Pasadena, MD
    I bought a Browning BT99 for trap. Great Gun. Next I bought a Browning Cynergy O/U. Should have bought the Cunergy first and saved some money.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    First, Merry Christmas everyone - I hope that for those of you who celebrate Christmas that you had a wonderful couple of days.

I've been googling around, and there seems to be a couple of common themes:

1. Any double shotgun that's $1000 or less is pure junk and should be avoided
    2. You HAVE to get at least a Browning or Beretta - nothing else will do

All of this is well and good, but my budget, give or take, based on the things I'm looking to sell to fund it, is roughly $1000. I might be able to stretch that some, but not much.

Again, I'm looking for a gun I can take to the trap range maybe 5-10 times a year, and something that would be just as at home hunting pheasants in a wheat stubble field back where I grew up in Nebraska.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    MD Escapee: Mid-Tennessee
    First, Merry Christmas everyone - I hope that for those of you who celebrate Christmas that you had a wonderful couple of days.

All of this is well and good, but my budget, give or take, based on the things I'm looking to sell to fund it, is roughly $1000. I might be able to stretch that some, but not much.

Again, I'm looking for a gun I can take to the trap range maybe 5-10 times a year, and something that would be just as at home hunting pheasants in a wheat stubble field back where I grew up in Nebraska.
    If you are patient AND lucky you can probably find a nice older (suitable to your stated needs) Beretta or Browning or Benelli in the $1k price range --- second hand.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If you are patient AND lucky you can probably find a nice older (suitable to your stated needs) Beretta or Browning or Benelli in the $1k price range --- second hand.
    I'm leaning pretty hard towards CZ. I've never been good on patience, and with the First Responder program, I'll see a pretty significant discount on price. I need to update that though - since I last took advantage of it, my status changed and they'd need my updated information for me to continue to qualify.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

LMK if you ever want to go to one of our trap shoots.
    You'll see everything from Krieghoff's to Browning, Beretta and more.
    Its 4$ a round bring whatever you have.
    If you want to try out that Tri star Ill bring it and if you want to take it to Nebraska you can do that too if you like.
    Eventually you'll settle in to something that you like that wont break the bank, double as field gun and most of all meet your expectations.
    Theirs a couple of middle aged guys who shoot Cz's at least I think they are and they do quite well with them.
    Its the even younger guys that like the semi auto guns and they do just as well as the more experienced persons with the more expensive types.
    It's because they can see better and their eyes focus much more rapidly is what I really think.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    LMK if you ever want to go to one of our trap shoots.
    You'll see everything from Krieghoff's to Browning, Beretta and more.
    Its 4$ a round bring whatever you have.
    If you want to try out that Tri star Ill bring it and if you want to take it to Nebraska you can do that too if you like.
    Eventually you'll settle in to something that you like that wont break the bank, double as field gun and most of all meet your expectations.
    Theirs a couple of middle aged guys who shoot Cz's at least I think they are and they do quite well with them.
    Its the even younger guys that like the semi auto guns and they do just as well as the more experienced persons with the more expensive types.
    It's because they can see better and their eyes focus much more rapidly is what I really think.
    I'm interested enough in doing it that I'd absolutely be willing to go with anyone who would be willing to host me.

I had forgotten how fun it was to watch the target break. By the end of my last round, I was hitting pretty consistently, and some of my breaks were really solid breaks. I'd have a few here and there where I'd barely get onto it and it'd only break a few chips off, but it's really neat when you really get on it. It had been a long time since I'd had that feeling.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I'm interested enough in doing it that I'd absolutely be willing to go with anyone who would be willing to host me.

I had forgotten how fun it was to watch the target break. By the end of my last round, I was hitting pretty consistently, and some of my breaks were really solid breaks. I'd have a few here and there where I'd barely get onto it and it'd only break a few chips off, but it's really neat when you really get on it. It had been a long time since I'd had that feeling.
    Yes just let me know. The first non scored shoot is the first week of every month. The scored shoot the second.
    Just beware, your going to want a well fitted and nice shotgun after a few times becuase its so fun.
    However, you dont need an expensive set of irons until you had a chance to shoot a few times and discover whats really for you.
    Our club is probably about an hour from GB though, in Caroline county.
    About 8 miles south of 404 near Federalsburg. Starts at 12 always on a Sunday and may go about to three on occasion.

fishoholic

Aug 24, 2022
    Eastern shore
    I've owned and shot may of guns on the trap and skeet field and agree any cheap cheap O/U guns are junk. If you can find a nice used Beretta 686 single you will be very happy with it for being a non custom fitted gun.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'm leaning pretty hard towards CZ. I've never been good on patience, and with the First Responder program, I'll see a pretty significant discount on price. I need to update that though - since I last took advantage of it, my status changed and they'd need my updated information for me to continue to qualify.
    When it comes down to it, I'd compare the price with a discount from CZ for their Huglu-Made guns vs the price for a similar arm from TriStar (which might also be made by Huglu, Kral, or possibly Kahn or Yildiz). Whichever one has the better price and warranty for the same features, go with that. TriStar has a 5-year warranty and great QC. I have their Upland Hunter O/U from Walmart (About $450 a year and a half ago) which came with a whole load of extended screw-in choke tubes, fiber optic front bead, and a tang safety/selector. TriStar gives a 5-year warranty, standard, and I've yet to have any problems with either my Raptor (semi-auto) or this Upland Hunter. I've been very happy with both.

Gun Digest did a good interview with the President/CEO of TriStar earlier this year. The key to their success is teaching the Turkish factories they use how to make things better and provide better quality control. It's much like anything from an off-shore factory these days. If you have the right QC in place, the product is just as good as it would be from a US factory.

Here's the article:

Here's my Kral-made TriStar Upland Hunter, I have not cleaned it since I last shot, so there's some schmutz on the breech, but no rust or anything:

20231226_121405.jpg
    20231226_121414.jpg
    20231226_121433.jpg
    20231226_121507.jpg
    20231226_121604.jpg

Is it a Silver Pigeon or a Red Label? No. Did I pay those prices for it? No. Will it serve me well for the relatively low price I paid? You bet.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    If a grand is your budget, go with CZ. I just shot a round of sporting today with my Bobwhite G2 20 gauge (it's my "I don't care if it gets wet gun"). It broke the targets as well as any of my (much) more expensive guns. Will it be passed down through my future generations? Probably not, but that's OK.

Beretta's and Browning's hold their value exceptionally well, so you won't find a used one for much less than a new one.

Goggle "problems with CZ single trigger shotguns" so you know what problems are out there. Not everyone has problems, and CZ is very good with their warranty, usually just replacing the entire gun. I'd get a double trigger gun myself, but it's your money. The advantage of a double trigger gun is you have instant choke selection depending on your target. Not a big deal on the clay grounds but it is when you're hunting birds.

Also, make sure to pattern your CZ (really any new shotgun). For some reason, CZ chokes are off by one, that is a Mod choke throws an IC pattern. On CZ's website they even give the measurements for their chokes and they are all indeed off by one. Maybe things are different in Turkey...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Browning Citori, Broadway, BT-99, whats funny is the while not a O/U, the older 1100 trap (TC grade) 30" was my first trap / skeet gun, still shoots great. Never did get into the thousands of dollar Trap n Skeet guns...but hey that's just me.

Inflation , and all that . But for full context , Trap specific 870 , 1100 , M12 , etc did sell for a ( 20% - ish ? ) premium over the regular field guns . And Trap Guns were seen in higher grades more commonly than field guns .

And I don't know about today , but in the medium days I was coming up , vintage M12 were a status symbol among trap shooters .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Inflation , and all that . But for full context , Trap specific 870 , 1100 , M12 , etc did sell for a ( 20% - ish ? ) premium over the regular field guns . And Trap Guns were seen in higher grades more commonly than field guns .

And I don't know about today , but in the medium days I was coming up , vintage M12 were a status symbol among trap shooters .
    I have an old Model 12 - probably a 28" barrel, no rib. I might have to try that sometime.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    When it comes down to it, I'd compare the price with a discount from CZ for their Huglu-Made guns vs the price for a similar arm from TriStar (which might also be made by Huglu, Kral, or possibly Kahn or Yildiz). Whichever one has the better price and warranty for the same features, go with that. TriStar has a 5-year warranty and great QC. I have their Upland Hunter O/U from Walmart (About $450 a year and a half ago) which came with a whole load of extended screw-in choke tubes, fiber optic front bead, and a tang safety/selector. TriStar gives a 5-year warranty, standard, and I've yet to have any problems with either my Raptor (semi-auto) or this Upland Hunter. I've been very happy with both.

Gun Digest did a good interview with the President/CEO of TriStar earlier this year. The key to their success is teaching the Turkish factories they use how to make things better and provide better quality control. It's much like anything from an off-shore factory these days. If you have the right QC in place, the product is just as good as it would be from a US factory.

Here's the article:

Here's my Kral-made TriStar Upland Hunter, I have not cleaned it since I last shot, so there's some schmutz on the breech, but no rust or anything:

View attachment 446567
    View attachment 446568
    View attachment 446564
    View attachment 446565
    View attachment 446566

Is it a Silver Pigeon or a Red Label? No. Did I pay those prices for it? No. Will it serve me well for the relatively low price I paid? You bet.
    That's a purty shotgun, and if it's doing it for you, then it's doing it for you.

I've pretty much settled in on a CZ Redhead Premier Target, and I can get it for just a touch over a grand through the discount program, which is pretty solid for a $1500 MSRP gun. The trick is finding a LE/Mil dealer so I can take advantage of the discounted price.

I don't "have" to sell anything to offset the purchase of this, but the truth is, every time I go to the range, one gun I have that's a great gun, but I always seem to pass over, is my H&K USP 45. It just seems that whenever I'm looking to shoot a 45, I invariably grab one of my 1911s. I don't think I'd be sad to let it go. Maybe. I also have a Walther P99 that I never seem to shoot anymore, and I could probably be convinced to part with that one too.

So this is something else I discovered. I only thought I had the long barrel on my 870. It turns out that I had put the short barrel on it so that it was easier to store in the safe. The barrel I had on it was a 25.5 inch. I'd like to take it out again with the 30 inch barrel on it to see if I'd do better. IIRC, back with Dad I always shot better with that longer barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom