• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    For years the left has displayed mastery at getting small, sometimes seemingly inconsequential, wins, then coming back later to build on those wins. We need to do the same. We forego long game progress by making the perfect the enemy of the good. We've got to remember that this is a sausage makin' business.
    Do you have some kind of insider knowledge that the TNGA had to include these compromises to get it passed?

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Doesn't take that much training to stay hunkered down in a classroom and shoot an armed person who may be coming through the door.
    Would probably like the teacher to verify who's coming through the door before shooting.

Also, maybe part of the training should focus on how a 5'2" 135 lb teacher keeps an enraged 6'6" 270 lb thug student from taking her gun away from her without shooting him (if possible.) Not that I would mind if he got shot in the attempt, but the lawsuit would probably bankrupt the school district.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Do you have some kind of insider knowledge that the TNGA had to include these compromises to get it passed?
    I see this as a step for hardening the schools.

Just like after 9/11. Pilots were armed in the cockpit. IIRC, that got phased out because of the antigun agenda.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Would probably like the teacher to verify who's coming through the door before shooting.

Also, maybe part of the training should focus on how a 5'2" 135 lb teacher keeps an enraged 6'6" 270 lb thug student from taking her gun away from her without shooting him (if possible.) Not that I would mind if he got shot in the attempt, but the lawsuit would probably bankrupt the school district.

We are not talking about hand to hand combat/self defense or CQB out in the hallways.
    I am also not talking about shooting through doors at unknown targets.
    You wanna carry in the classroom? Then you need to take on a little risk and wait and see who comes through that door carrying what. But that door would be locked.
    I'm not for umpteen different teachers running around in a hallway possibly shooting at each other or getting shot by responding cops, who have pretty fast response times now.

The classroom is your position of dominance, so you control it. Be happy with that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    80 hours every year?

Poor reporting , plus poor grammar.

I looked at it as plausibly be 80 initial, 40 renewal ( back door equivalence with presumably POST annual in service hours ) .

But we'd have to read the actual Final Bill .

And since it would require triple sign offs ( Head of School District, CLEO, and individual School Principal ) you'll see very little to none in any urban or suburban public schools . Will probably be mostly private and Christian schools going this route .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I get it that the specific number is classified. But a general sense ? Closer to 10% or 1% ? Less than 1% ?

My concern is that the program " exists " , but only a token handful .

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Poor reporting , plus poor grammar.

I looked at it as plausibly be 80 initial, 40 renewal ( back door equivalence with presumably POST annual in service hours ) .

But we'd have to read the actual Final Bill .

And since it would require triple sign offs ( Head of School District, CLEO, and individual School Principal ) you'll see very little to none in any urban or suburban public schools . Will probably be mostly private and Christian schools going this route .
    I seem to recall a reason Christian schools in TN might be especially interested. . .

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I get it that the specific number is classified. But a general sense ? Closer to 10% or 1% ? Less than 1% ?

My concern is that the program " exists " , but only a token handful .
    Air Marshals now too. Not on every flight, but more than token numbers.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Yeah .

But the first time a school staffer shoots a Memphis gang banger , it will make bigger national headlines .
    Never too early to start thinning the herd. . . .

But, yah, I don't feel like listening to more crying mothers whining about how their young hoodlum was "turning his life around" if it can be helped. Sometimes it can't.

I'm all for any teacher that wants to being able to have a gun at school, assuming they aren't batsh*t crazy. But maybe the ones who aren't physically capable of keeping it from being taken away from them ought to keep it in a fingerprint enabled lockbox bolted under their desk or something.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Teleport that student and teacher to a random sidewalk in the surrounding neighborhood. Would that woman be justified to shoot to stop from being beaten unconscious? Why are violent crimes suddenly okay in the school setting?

One advantage of armed and trained teachers over a lone SRO is that IF a student is able to somehow get a gun from an adult, there's likely another adult with a gun somewhere nearby to confront the student to stop the threat(this only means stopping by shooting if necessary). If a lone SRO is overpowered, the school is kind've SOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom