• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Cheap was the term for the Mosins a few years ago, I was able to acquire a couple 440 round spam cans of silver tip 7.62x54R from a member in Pasadena for $80.00 a can. My son going to have a fit when finds them and a 91/30 and M44 that I squired away for him. When I kick the bucket a few people will be sad but I think my son will have a smile and say "Thanks Dad" ;)

Last edited:

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I've been over at that .net site. I read the part about the bayonet affecting the aim. Really interesting.
    I'm really not looking to pump thousands of dollars into one of these. I would be willing to re-work a sloppy trigger.

There are not many Mosins that are worth thousands. There are variants out there worth four figures but they are rare. You can get started in the Mosin world with a few hundred bucks these days. After that it's all downhill.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Mine are all Tula and Izzy's. I have quite a few 91/30 and some M44. When they were cheap I bought a whole crate and never really went through them yet. I am not sure what is in there like year and if any Dragoons. I did see mixed hex and round receivers though. I have the crate latched and a table cloth over top. I use it for a coffee table in my basement. I think its best to get a book on Mosin Identification and so forth if you plan to collect.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    bingo

I've never even shot mine lol. One of these days I'll get around to picking up some ammo for it

I purchased one with a bayonet from a crate at a Chantilly show like 7 years ago maybe longer. It was like $139. It is a Tula hex head 1932. Great shape. I did purchase some non corrosive ammo but have not shot it yet.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Jealous!

Did someone say Mosin?

All I got to say to you folks that bought Mosin's and Mosin's ammo years ago is way to go and I am so F'n Jealous!
    In the 90's at the Silverado gun show, a friend suggested I purchase a crate full, 6 rifles covered in cosmoline, 6 bayonets, 6 double oilers, and six sets of cleaning tools, all in a very cool crate. The guy selling them offered us a deal. If my friend purchased the one he was eyeing and I bought the crate, he would give it to me for $290.00 and sell us four tuna cans of ammo for half of the price listed, I'm thinking that was $40.00, so 440 rounds for $20.00 per tuna can!
    Me "idiot" bought nothing that day, my friend purchased one off the table, I think $75.00. It had a US stamp on it. He bought 3 tuna cans of ammo, I helped lug the ammo to my truck. :envy::envy:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I only have one Mosin left; it's a nice Updated Dragoon.

Out of the crate, they aren't impressive, but they can do some good shooting with just a bit of work. A simple barrel shim at the nosecap, a little trigger work, and some decent ammo, and they can produce good scores at the vintage matches.

If anyone ever watches Nat Geo Life Below Zero, the Inupiat Eskimo woman, Agnes Hailstone, brings home a lot of caribou and other game with her Finnish M39 Mosins, iron sights. Her husband Chip Hailstone posts on The High Road under the screen name Caribou. I've posted some of his videos.

Here they are, Chip and Agnes Hailstone:

Here are a bunch of raw videos of a guy using an iron-sighted M39 Finn to take caribou, bear, etc at long range in Alaska. (Also a No 5 Lee Enfield).

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=7664386&postcount=132

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    If anyone ever watches Nat Geo Life Below Zero, the Inupiat Eskimo woman, Agnes Hailstone, brings home a lot of caribou and other game with her Finnish M39 Mosins, iron sights.

I've not watched that show, but should give it a look. I have watched "The Last Alaskans" which is beautifully shot and produced and instantly fell in love with Ray Lewis's Winchester 1895. A gorgeous gun that he carries with him everywhere. I love seeing people take big game with the old workhorses like the Rem Mdl. 8, Savage 99, Win 95, etc.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Here is Agnes Hailstone, a native Alaskan, taking a Musk Ox with two rounds from a M39 Mosin, offhand, using iron sights. That's her husband Chip (a former Marylander) coaching her.

The Hailstones are by far the best part of the show.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    The Finnish ones are actually Russian rifles obtained by the Finns in some manner (capture, bought, etc.) They then reworked the actions and modified the sights and they were much better without breaking the bank. The US (Westinghouse and Remington, I think) manufactured them as well and are well made but probably on the higher side of things.
    Very robust (peasant soldier proof) and reliable. Kick like a mule but they work.
    I think Ian McCollum of Forgotten Weapons has an episode on them.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The Finnish ones are actually Russian rifles obtained by the Finns in some manner (capture, bought, etc.) They then reworked the actions and modified the sights and they were much better without breaking the bank. The US (Westinghouse and Remington, I think) manufactured them as well and are well made but probably on the higher side of things.
    Very robust (peasant soldier proof) and reliable. Kick like a mule but they work.
    I think Ian McCollum of Forgotten Weapons has an episode on them.

There are two breeds of Finn

Some were captured and reworked

Some (M27, M39, etc) were purpose built by the Finns

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Finland was able to establish its independence from the Russian Empire at the time of the Bolshevik Revolution, though not without a civil war with their own commies. They acquired a lot of Mosins at that time, and in the following years they purchased and scrounged more Mosins wherever they could get them.

They rebuilt and reworked the rifles in several variations over the years, always improving them. The final result was the M39, a completely reworked rifle retaining only the action of the original. It has a better stock, a better, heavier barrel, better sights, better trigger, and an improved magazine.

Some Finnish Mosins, including some M39s, are built on pre-1899 actions, and are thus "antiques" in U.S. law.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Finns are the best shooters. Hungarian 91/30 are the nicest made.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    There are two breeds of Finn

Some were captured and reworked

Some (M27, M39, etc) were purpose built by the Finns
    Many were actually sold to them, but yes the Russian Finn used are nowhere near the same quality as Finn Made.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    My Beauties

I've watched a few videos about old Mosins. I had never heard of these before.

If the videos are correct that these rifles are simple, robust and reliable, I think I might like to buy one in the near future. Parts support seems to be plentiful and the rifles themselves seem to be inexpensive.

Supposedly the Danish ones were the nicest. Is there a nation of manufacture that I should stay away from such as Russian or Chinese?

Did different nations chamber them for different types of ammunition?

My Beauties

Attachments

• Mosins.pdf
      772 KB · Views: 94

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    My Beauties

Oh, those are lovely.

I have chosen the wrong time to enter some hobbies. Mil surplus truck prices are through the roof. Firearms prices are through the roof and laws infringing upon ownership are pushing all-time highs.

I should just give up. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom