• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, 44 mm objective versus 50 mm.

50 mm will be brighter in the same light at the same power.

But more expensive because each lens is larger.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Thanks guys for the quick answers!! I did get a Vortex Spitfire 3x for Xmas. Have not used it but testing it looks really good

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Hmmm, like you said BSA, don't have experience with it. Plus I want a higher power.
    If you need higher power, then so be it, but I doubt that you will find a better scope at that price point, I have two of them and I am rather pleased. You can not find a first focal plane scope that offers more value than this for the price. I love how people sneer at BSA not realizing what an exception to the rule this scope is. BTW, Midway USA is the only place that carries this scope and last I checked it wasn't in any of BSA's online marketing materials / catalogs.

To really drive the point home, between 4 and 12 power, it's nearly as good as my Horus HDMR 34mm tube 3.5-21x scope. That is why I am pointing out this scope, because the Horus, while superior, is around $1500.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Some do, some don't, but unless you are just shooting targets, without a lot of targets, it may be fine, but the field of view is fairly small.

And if you ever try to go hunting, that is way too much power for picking up the game.

And higher power means less light in low light conditions, making it harder to see targets, especially those without a LOT of contrast.

IMO, many people over scope their rifles. They seem to think that more power will make them shoot better.

And remember, the CMP guys shoot to 600 yards with iron sights. :)

Even my 6-24x Viper PST is a bit small FOV at 100. But that rifle is seldom shot at 100 yards, normally 300 to 1200 yards.

Midway BSA scope is a great scope for the price. It is basically the same scope sold as a Mueller and Primary Arms. BSA name, but NOT a BSA scope. I have one on my rimfire trainer.

I see. The purpose of scopes for me are for punching papers at the moment. I like higher power because mainly liking the fact that I know where my hits are without using the spotting scope.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    If you need higher power, then so be it, but I doubt that you will find a better scope at that price point, I have two of them and I am rather pleased. You can not find a first focal plane scope that offers more value than this for the price. I love how people sneer at BSA not realizing what an exception to the rule this scope is. BTW, Midway USA is the only place that carries this scope and last I checked it wasn't in any of BSA's online marketing materials / catalogs.

To really drive the point home, between 4 and 12 power, it's nearly as good as my Horus HDMR 34mm tube 3.5-21x scope. That is why I am pointing out this scope, because the Horus, while superior, is around $1500.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yeah I have heard others said thing like that to include Swfa scopes. Name brands are just a lot of mark ups.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    As I as searching, saw a few posts that this viper model was selling for $279 couple years ago because they tried to phase out a reticle, can anyone confirm if this is the same one? I mean the price is all over the place. One site I found 6.5-20x44 for $329 and the same model but 6.5-20x50 sells for like 500? That kind of implies me that the 44 was an old model.

Anyhow, I don't care if it's old, as long as it's good and plus the vip warranty.

Mine is 6.5-20x44 v-plex that is no longer on the vortex website. Dead-Hold BDC and Mil Dot are, but listed as limited availability.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As has been said, THIS BSA scope is not really a BSA product. Marketed under the BSA name, but look at the Mueller and Primary Arms 4-14x and you will find they seem to be the same scope.

Tasca makes some very good optics, but they also make some to a low price point. No matter who makes them, SWFA Super Sniper scopes are very good scopes.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Cool, but with almost two hundred more, I think I will stick with the 44.

As long as you shoot in the middle of the day, you will never notice the difference.

Shoot at dusk or dawn, and the value of the 50mm objective becomes literally clearer.

Also, in some cases, the 50mm versions have better coatings. Which also cost more.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    As long as you shoot in the middle of the day, you will never notice the difference.

Shoot at dusk or dawn, and the value of the 50mm objective becomes literally clearer.

Also, in some cases, the 50mm versions have better coatings. Which also cost more.

Most of my shootings are day time. just want to know if 329 is a killer deal or not and if this is the obsolete model that I mentioned they wanted to phased out a retical. (Some search on Google, this viper was selling for $279) any insight would be greatly appreciated.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Most of my shootings are day time. just want to know if 329 is a killer deal or not and if this is the obsolete model that I mentioned they wanted to phased out a retical. (Some search on Google, this viper was selling for $279) any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I bought my VORTEX 30MM VIPER HS RIFLESCOPE 2.5-10X44 VPLEX RETICLE for $225 from Cabelas in April on a major sale. Still have it in the box, just couldn't say no to the deal.

I bought the same scope you're looking at with the mildot reticle for $300 from Midway last year.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I bought my VORTEX 30MM VIPER HS RIFLESCOPE 2.5-10X44 VPLEX RETICLE for $225 from Cabelas in April on a major sale. Still have it in the box, just couldn't say no to the deal.

I bought the same scope you're looking at with the mildot reticle for $300 from Midway last year.

Got it, by what you saying this isn't a killer deal. I will just probably get it after I got my hands on the Ruger precision rifle. Not that I like the scope you got from cabelas, but did a quick searching, the lowest I found was $379, you got a great deal.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Got it, by what you saying this isn't a killer deal. I will just probably get it after I got my hands on the Ruger precision rifle. Not that I like the scope you got from cabelas, but did a quick searching, the lowest I found was $379, you got a great deal.

Good deal, wouldn't say killer. A lot depends on how picky your are about your reticle. For a target gun, a V-plex is fine. But I find the mil-dot or BDC or similar crucial for hunting. I don't want to spend my time guessing or turning dials when an elk walks into view 250 yards away.

Alternatively, you could always get a Crossfire II or a similar ~$150 Vortex scope while you wait for a "killer deal" on a Viper or similar. You may end up finding the Crossfire II meets your needs well or you can throw it on another gun when you upgrade. Have one on my AR and have easily hit plates at 600 yards (longest I've tried). Not a Viper, but not bad at all.

Also, Cabelas gift cards are frequently $40 for $50. Get a few of those and save some more money on your glass.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I actually have a Ruger American in .300 Blackout in the classefieds that I am trying to trade for a scope like this. If anyone orders one and decides not to use it... PM me. We could work something out.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Easy. Maximum Point Blank Range

Familiar with it but it isn't my first choice unless it is a flat-shooting cartridge.

I prefer to hunt with 180 grain bullets in my 30-06. Which works out to a 227 yard zero 3" high at 100 yards and almost 7" low at 300 yards. I prefer more precision than that or I'd injure, not kill, a 350 yard antelope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom