Visit by Homeland Security yesterday for... a scope purchase?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Warrant, exigency, or invitation.
    Or increasingly used and abused with lots of gray and conflicted appeals: welfare check.

your neighbor doesn't like you and knows you have firearms: he/she calls and says you are becoming forgetful, etc.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Could I have been flagged because of multiple firearms optics etc purchased at a higher rate than many in 2017? I completely got out of firearms with many other life priorities for a very long time as my business and motorsports always took the lions share of my interest over the past dozen plus years.

Probably some activity by the vendor you bought from raising a yellow flag.

by the way 90% of cops would never let them in their own house without a warrant. I would be friendly and offer to speak to them outside. It is 99% they are not investigating you. But it is also a small possibility someone has said "this guy has a lot of guns" and they absolutely can by law be completely untruthful about the purpose of their visit and whether you are in any way a target of an investigaion. Anything they observe or that you say can be used.

About 30 years ago I bought a parts car at auction, a police auction no less, and found a hash pipe in the trunk . If it had been found by police at a stop I would have ha da lot of explaining to do, and presumptions against me.

It is always good to be cooperative, help if you can with an investigation. Just like a traffic stop there a half dozen things you can and should do to lower risk and perceived risk to the officer (papers ready, hands visible, slow movement, dome light on etc), but not included among them allowing a search of the car.

We live in a world where swat can and have shown up at homes of people who have posted a pic of their kid ith a .22 on facebook. Where "welfare checks" have morphed into circumvention of 4th amendment warrant requirements. Where a well meaning or malicious neighbor saying you are becoming forgetful can. and where police departments in some juristicons are conducting warrantless "safety checks".

So you, me and virtually everyone have an interest in the DHS, or any other law enforcement in catching the bad guys, but I ses absolutely no reason not to simply tell they you are busy and would be happy to help them over the phone. I would really wonder why tasking two agents to come to your home, would be a valid use of resources unless you were in fact a possible target of investigation.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Seeing as the vast majority of my firearms purchased were middle/upper end 9mm handguns I don’t quite see the interest in terms of that but who knows. If someone was going to do something stupid they probably wouldn’t chose the guns I went with..
    If someone bought a dozen hi points/sccy’s or dirt cheap AR’s out of the blue in one year I could see the potential of being targeted.

Ultimately I’m still scratching my head a bit on this one, just chalk it up to being a buyer in a larger investigation way outside of me.. Regardless I still have plenty more firearms/optics to buy in 2018 to round out my collection. Nothing exciting, bolt guns, a shotgun, another rimfire and couple more handguns after that I have too many priorities going forward. I’ll have to revert to the much more responsible sell one to get one strategy and maybe I will fall of the gubment watch list. Will also appease my woman lol

mrchiro

Nov 17, 2015
    Wow that’s something odd! Sorry you’re not coming into my home period. No search warrant - not stepping passed my door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pittbull

Jan 28, 2013
    Very interesting and if these agents were authentic and had proper credentials, I have no problem with them investigating illegal reselling of firearm related equipment overseas. I also would like to pass on that I have read of two confirmed accounts of Trijicon RMR red-dot scopes purchased online ( I believe it was either eBay or Amazon) that were sent to the factory for repair and they were unauthentic clones. Trijicon would not provide service for these scopes because they simply did not make them. Of coarse once these online retailers find this out, they suspend those sales any longer

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I hesitated making this post because I know many on here may disagree with me letting in agents/officers into my home, in the moment I felt it would be the wrong way to go about it

Freedom is about choosing who you do and don't let in your house. No one has any right to question your decision to invite them in, and sometimes, that is a completely reasonable course of action.

Best for your privacy, no, but easiest and most convenient may outweigh the desire to maintain strict boundaries.

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    It’s maybe the 4th scope or so I bought the past year, also bought 2 red dot’s as I bought around a dozen firearms in 2017. Mostly .22 Rifles and 9mm handguns, and a lower..building an AR pistol over the next several weeks

I didn't think you could get a lower in Md. anymore

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, I agree with those that have said, "No search warrant, no entry into my house".

Quite ironic that you had to show them the e-bay receipt and who the seller was. How the heck did they even know you were about to receive a scope in the mail? They must have already known about your e-bay purchase. How did they know your address?

There would be alarms going off in my head if I were you. As far as I understand it, you have not broken any laws as long as you do not ship the scope to an overseas address. The entire thing sounds like a waste of taxpayer money for 2 agents to visit you about this transaction. Glad it ended up being nothing serious.

Pittbull

Jan 28, 2013
    Respectfully, the Trijicon scopes that I have purchased come with a disclaimer regarding the quoted Frederal law against exportation. I have met others people who rejected Federal agents coming to their home and they said the agents simply said okay and left with no other follow-on comments

para_bellum

Dec 28, 2012
    Yeah I would not let them in my house. I met them at work when they had questions over something I had bought on eBay.(night vision).

They brought a file folder 6 inches thick containing everything I have ever posted online. I was an electrical engineering student before I changed my Major , and had made a post on an EE forum regarding hooking a GPS board up to a computer to write an app for it...

..They wanted to know if I knew anything about some stolen GPS guidance boards for missiles.... because I bought a night vision scope on eBay and had tinkered with GPS as an engineering student.

F those guys never again will I talk to them.
    But furthermore. Just know everyone, that everything you post here is in a file now with DHS, and every other agency that wants it.

They will probably come knocking on my door again now lol.

That being said they need to do their job and catch the guys smuggling stuff out illegally .. and I appreciate what they are attempting to do.
    but there is a fine line where they aren't abusing their power and trampling my rights... and they don't seem to know where that line is I don't think.

ngzcaz

Jul 13, 2017
    I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that regardless of your response they would have come in. They did what they planned on doing.

Never again means that you're going to fight them to the end...literally. I don't want to read that squaregrouper got shot up by law enforcement because he didn't want to go through the legal system. Were they wrong? Certainly. Is it a garbage system? Yup.

Last stands are a last resort.

Problem with internet posts is you get only what info the poster decides to share. Whether its complete truth, complete BS or somewhere it between is up to the interpretation of the reader. I'll share a bit of what I've observed in the last 35 years.... and I fully agree last stands are a last resort.

I've always found that the less you talk, the more info you get. People get a bit nervous when there's silence. Feel the need to keep the conversation going. I'm not saying there aren't instances of mistakes being made and in some cases over the top and illegal enforcement, BUT... we need to use common sense in these instances... when you hear terms " risk getting shot " or " never again " well.. I have concerns for the poster AND the agency personnel investigating the matter. Let's suppose it was a legitimate investigation and the items in question were used against our LEO's or Armed Forces personnel ? And you had a chance to provide useful information to end the illegal activity ? And instead you chose to present a combative presence and " see my attorney " and/or " get a warrant " attitude.. yep, that certainly wouldn't raise any flags would it ?

.... not saying to invite them in for tea or donuts but don't make the encounter worse than it has to be. :innocent0

mrchiro

Nov 17, 2015
    Yeah I would not let them in my house. I met them at work when they had questions over something I had bought on eBay.(night vision).

They brought a file folder 6 inches thick containing everything I have ever posted online. I was an electrical engineering student before I changed my Major , and had made a post on an EE forum regarding hooking a GPS board up to a computer to write an app for it...

..They wanted to know if I knew anything about some stolen GPS guidance boards for missiles.... because I bought a night vision scope on eBay and had tinkered with GPS as an engineering student.

F those guys never again will I talk to them.

But furthermore. Just know everyone, that everything you post here is in a file now with DHS, and every other agency that wants it.

They will probably come knocking on my door again now lol.

That being said they need to do their job and catch the guys smuggling stuff out illegally .. and I appreciate what they are attempting to do.

but there is a fine line where they aren't abusing their power and trampling my rights... and they don't seem to know where that line is I don't think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr68gto

Mar 12, 2017
    Normally these people would not show up at your house unless to serve a warrant, subpeona or other official paperwork. I would not invite them in. Like any other investigative team they are well versed in friendliness and getting people to converse and open up. Stick to the topic religiously and offer nothing else. I probably would have started recording them.

Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    This might be why a T70 (high end Flir thermal) I sold was delayed for a long time during shipment. This was with UPS though so maybe the Feds have hooks in them too ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom