Any Interest in a 4-hour Intro to IDPA Class?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    The only classroom training I've taken is NRA basic pistol. Need a holster but I'm interested. Can think of one other that may be interested as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Thanks to all who have replied. There appears to be plenty of interest, so I'll start fleshing out the course in all respects and establishing some dates.

My intent is to keep this effort below the "event level" and treat it as a TCSC club member (me) having three guests for an afternoon of shooting. However, I still need to check with the club's leadership regarding liability and a couple of other things.

To those who have asked questions, please give me week or so to finalize the course particulars. I anticipate starting before Halloween.

I will answer one question now though. Someone asked if this course will qualify a person to shoot an IDPA match at TCSC. The answer is yes. I'll have to work on what other match locations may also be covered - policies vary. However, my main intent is to give you a flavor of IDPA action pistol shooting and provide you with the knowledge and confidence to attend a match on your own whether it's at TCSC or somewhere else.

When I get things locked down, I'll start a new thread and provide a method for folks to sign up.

Last edited:

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    ...I will answer one question now though. Someone asked if this course will qualify a person to shoot an IDPA match at TCSC. The answer is yes. I'll have to work on what other match locations may also be covered - policies vary.

$10 is an awesome deal.

So this is an approved alternative to the regular quarterly course already on the calendar for October 23?

Depending on when someone takes this or the club skills course, if it's more than a few weeks before they attend and shoot in their first club match at TCSC, it's never a bad idea to go and attend the free new-to-TCSC-IDPA-shooter orientation course that's given just before each match.

Also, it's possible that the TCSC IDPA Skills course, and maybe this one, could suffice for AAFG matches, but I think they tend to be a bit more strict given their unique berm situations and very strict muzzle control rules. I don't what the orientation/skills class guidelines are at Peacemaker or the NRA range, but Cody Claxton is most likely the go-to guy for all these questions anyway.

Good luck, & Enjoy!

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    $10 is an awesome deal.

This is the price currently envisioned. It's not yet firm, yet I'm optimistic. IDPA is volunteer activity. The $10 figure comes from the club's current $5 daily guest fee plus an additional $5 to cover the cost of targets, pasters and other consumables. This is not a course to learn how to shoot. Anyone attending already needs to know how to shoot a handgun and have basic safe gun handling skills. The intent of this effort is to give the participants a taste of what it's like to shoot IDPA and equip them with the knowledge and confidence to participate on their own in an IDPA club level match.

So this is an approved alternative to the regular quarterly course already on the calendar for October 23?

This course is still in the planning stage, and it's not yet approved. However, it's intended as in addition to the IDPA Skill Builders course on the 23rd. The IDPA Skill Builder Courses are super and have been a great success, but we have too few of them. Also, an intent of this new effort is to keep it below the event level and thereby increase both its flexibility and frequency.

Also, it's possible that the TCSC IDPA Skills course, and maybe this one, could suffice for AAFG matches, but I think they tend to be a bit more strict given their unique berm situations and very strict muzzle control rules. I don't what the orientation/skills class guidelines are at Peacemaker or the NRA range, but Cody Claxton is most likely the go-to guy for all these questions anyway.

Yes, Cody is the man. In addition to being the IDPA Area Coordinator for MD & VA, he is the match director for IDPA at the NRA range and one of the two match directors for IDPA at TCSC. I'm going to focus on getting this course approved for TCSC first. I'll then see what I can do regarding other locations.

Last edited:

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    This is the price currently envisioned. It's not yet firm, yet I'm optimistic. IDPA is volunteer activity. The $10 figure comes from the club's current $5 daily guest fee plus and additional $5 to cover the cost of targets, pasters and other consumables. This is not a course to learn how to shoot. Anyone attending already needs to know how to shoot a handgun and have basic safe gun handling skills. The intent of this effort is to give the participants a taste of what it's like to shoot IDPA and equip them with the knowledge and confidence to participate on their own in an IDPA club level match.

This course is still in the planning stage, and it's not yet approved. However, it's intended as in addition to the IDPA Skill Builders course on the 23rd. The IDPA Skill Builder Courses are super and have been a great success, but we have too few of them. Also, an intent of this new effort is to keep it below the event level and thereby increase both it's flexibility and frequency.

Yes, Cody is the man. In addition to being the IDPA Area Coordinator for MD & VA, he is the match director for IDPA at the NRA range and one of the two match directors for IDPA at TCSC. I'm going to focus on getting this course approved for TCSC first. I'll then see what I can do regarding other locations.
    I agree they should have more of the skills classes. I attended some time with the previous instructor & enjoyed it immensely, even though I'd already been shooting matches at TCSC for several months. Best of luck & I look fwd to keeping up w/ your efforts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom