• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I have both the Lee Autoprime and the RCBS hand primer. I prefer the Lee. The RCBS one has been in a box for 10 years. The Lee gets used monthly, and has for 10 years.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I also have a Lee hand press. I mostly do 9mm. I use a Lee Ram Prime, and I just happen to have 2 extras. I could send you one of my extra ones. No charge of course.

Thank you very much for the offer, I am pretty sure I am going to use a separate tool to prime off of the hand loader. Leaning to the Ergo Prime right now.

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    I've only used frankford arsenal hand primer and I like the sturdy construction. It is possible to feed 2 primers bit if you go slow you can feel it

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    I used an RCBS for many years but switched to the Frankfort Arsenal hand primer about three years ago and I love it. It is extremely durable and I like the fact that it comes with its own shell holders and you can adjust the setting depth of the primer.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Another vote for the Lee Auto-Prime. I first bought the Lee Ram primer, but shaky old fingers drove me to the former solution. Never looked back.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I have a Lee hand primer but use my RCBS univeral hand primer most of the time. I like that I don't have to keep track of different shell holders.

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-90201-Universal-Hand-Priming/dp/B000KKB86A

I use the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool 90201:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKB86A

EDIT: lol. You're faster than I am, cstone.

That's what I use as well. :)

Many years ago I began hand priming with the old style Lee Auto Prime. I still use that tool to prime 25 acp cases since they are too small for the RCBS tool to handle. It was used so much I wore it out. When I looked for replacement parts I discovered that model had been discontinued. So I ordered the new "Improved" Lee version. Frankly, it was garbage. Getting alignment to prime cases was an issue and the tabs on the tray covers easily broke off. I still have that tool packed away. The current Lee product may be very different than the early version I tried. (:secret: I found parts for the old version on Flea Bay and have a couple of spare sets on hand in case it ever wears out again).

Another MDS member pointed me to the RCBS Universal tool. I've been using it so long now I've had parts wear out. RCBS has taken care of me anytime I've needed a part to fix it, Like any tool it has good and bad points. Not having to deal with shell holders is a plus but, with spring tension holding the jaws, cases are not held as tight as a S/H. Having to switch parts from LPs to SP's is not much more of an issue than keeping track of different S/H's.

When using any hand priming tool maintaining an acute sense of situational awareness is fundamental (as during every step when reloading). I've never detonated a primer during reloading and (knock on wood) I plan to never have that happen.

Granted, my reloading is generally smaller (100 rounds or so) batches of various calibers we Hooligans shoot. Batches of anything from 9mm to 45-70 Gov't could be on my bench at one time.

Overall the RCBS Universal tool it works great for me for most hand priming needs.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC03119 Lee vs RCBS Hand Primers.jpg
      DSC03119 Lee vs RCBS Hand Primers.jpg
      34.6 KB · Views: 202

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    I guess I'll be the odd ball. I went through 2 lee hand primers in a few years. The first just plain wore out the second was super sloppy and never worked right. I wanted a good one and speed was not part of the criteria for consideration. Sinclaire was too expensive for what you got imo. I went with the K&M, a single load hand tool. All steel and solid quality with a positive feel. Been using it for over a decade now and never regretted my decision or felt a need to look further. It does use lee shell holds which I already had.

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    Hand Primer Recommendationj

"I have been using the Frankford Arsenal hand primer and love it."
    I agree.
    I replaced a Lee Auto-prime with a Frankford Arsenal Perfect Seat Hand Primer. In my opinion, the Frankford arsenal machine is more precisely constructed. Should an accident occur, I believe the a heavy zinc body provides better protection.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I just ordered the Frankfort arsenal $70 hand primer. I'll report back how I like it.

A little older post but not necro…

My RCBS was becoming more and more finicky so I saw the Frankfort on sale for $49 and thought I’d try it. The effort is much nicer on the Frankfort, but the tray sux donkey d$#ks. Both large and small primers stick in the tray neck and I have to use the lock gate to push them back or forward. Did I get a dud tray or is there a mod to free it up ?

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    autoprimes for sale.jpg

some current ones for sale, there are others listed but way more
    Old Lee Round tray Autoprimes here (ole yellow trays) since the 70's still got the
    original 2, primed 1,000's of cases one for large, one for small. Picked up plenty
    more cheap over the years, spare parts. Now they ain't cheap anymore, people
    wanting :stupid prices for them. Have the RCBS Universal, Sinclair, but always
    go back to "ole round trays"

Last edited:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    View attachment 365714

some current ones for sale, there are others listed but way more
    Old Lee Round tray Autoprimes here (ole yellow trays) since the 70's still got the
    original 2, primed 1,000's of cases one for large, one for small. Picked up plenty
    more cheap over the years, spare parts. Now they ain't cheap anymore, people
    wanting :stupid prices for them. Have the RCBS Universal, Sinclair, but always
    go back to "ole round trays"
    Ditto that... I have 3, I think, one setup for small primers, one for large and one for parts. I even found some replacement clear tops for the primer tray a couple years ago, they look brand new now!

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Ditto that... I have 3, I think, one setup for small primers, one for large and one for parts. I even found some replacement clear tops for the primer tray a couple years ago, they look brand new now!
    I hear ya, a friend I met on another forum was / is 3D printing the tray and lid, there was some
    "shade tree" fixes for the broken handles. I used Lubriplate that lithium stuff, that's a pain to get
    off your fingers, for the pivot parts that rub / wear. Mine are still going strong

-Rock

Last edited:

MTplinker

Dec 30, 2021
    Annapolis
    I use RCBS Universal hand priming tool. Gotta say, it’s built well and I like that you get the hand priming feel as your seating them. I think it was the first nice tool I got after my Lee kit (aside from a digital scale).

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have picked up another Lee or two in the meantime since I last posted on this thread. I have a Dillon setup, but I still prime by hand with the Lee Autoprime. Old habits are hard to change!

I have tried a couple others over the years, but pitched them and went right back to the Lee, it's hard to beat! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom