• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Congrats all on making scores. It was quiet on the lease tonight, have some great deer on cam but need night vision.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Congrats all on making scores. It was quiet on the lease tonight, have some great deer on cam but need night vision.

That's called poaching :nono:

For low light during shooting hours, get a Trijicon scope. Do not use a battery lighted scope, they hide what you are aiming at.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    There was another good one killed in the same woods. Gnarly rack with a bunch of points.
    Had its eye poked out. This one had been gored in the top of the head and was healed over with a bald spot. Had a tine broke off on right side.
    Couple days ago a 8 point was running around with all the tines cleaned off the main beam. He's still back there somewhere and would make a good next year.

drag site 1.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Pulled the closing day hail mary today.
    UrwPL1tl.jpg
    Congrats, nice buck. Down to the wire. I didn’t see an animal of any kind, zero, not even a random bird. Very warm, a comfortable sit though. Didn’t hear a shot anywhere, even wearing amplified ear muffs.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For low light during shooting hours, get a Trijicon scope. Do not use a battery lighted scope, they hide what you are aiming at.
    I took him as meaning everything has gone nocturnal on his lease.

There was another good one killed in the same woods. Gnarly rack with a bunch of points.
    Had its eye poked out. This one had been gored in the top of the head and was healed over with a bald spot. Had a tine broke off on right side.
    Couple days ago a 8 point was running around with all the tines cleaned off the main beam. He's still back there somewhere and would make a good next year.

View attachment 301429

View attachment 301431

View attachment 301432
    y'all have some nice deer and good hunters out there DoCo!

Pulled the closing day hail mary today.
    UrwPL1tl.jpg
    Never quit! Nice work aht2131 :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Now begins my second favorite deer season(bow being my favorite), late muzzle loader season. This is when most of those nice bucks you watched all summer long and disappeared in September start filtering back 'home'. The ones that made it this far, anyway. Unseasonably cold days as well as unseasonably warm days can both be very productive.

It ain't over yet!

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis

Not saying I am going to be out there with night vision.

Was just stating that anything that has some size or age to them only catching at night on cam. They seem to have gone nocturnal. Most of the lease seems to hunt firearm then back way off so pressure will drop on them.

I have had some real good luck with late muzzle loader. Saw biggest deer of my life 3 years ago on an exceptionally cold day during late muzzle.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Congrats to all who connected yesterday! I was out in the morning, couldn’t see 75 yards in the fog. Saw one doe, and one more after that. Between briars and fog, lost sight of the second deer as quick as it appeared. Went back in the afternoon, deer seemed to be up and moving about. Had two medium size bucks meander through hanging together, a 6pt. & 4pt. Then an hour later they wandered through again. The 4 was larger but still a young deer. If he makes it until next year, he should be a good buck. Let them walk both times. About 4:45 saw some does running into a field, with a decent buck chasing them. He was grunting like a pig the entire time, never gave me a shot opportunity. Maybe the second estrus cycle is kicking in. Hope it runs into the muzzleloader season.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is it just me, or has the hunting been more productive in the afternoons lately? I'm seeing way more activity later in the day. Mornings have been kinda dead.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Is it just me, or has the hunting been more productive in the afternoons lately? I'm seeing way more activity later in the day. Mornings have been kinda dead.

Not just you.

Very rarely do I have movement in the mornings. Afternoons is when the deer are moving around for me, because of the lack of hunting pressure.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo

Our lease seems to have more deer movement in the afternoon vs. mornings. The exception seems to be opening weekend of firearms with more people in the woods on the properties surrounding ours. However, I’m about 50/50 between mornings and evenings on buck harvest.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

As warm as its been, what I used to consider an afternoon used to start around 2:00 pm.
    Now its really late morning or mid-day till dark it seems.
    I think with the unusually warm days, and with the heavy frost in the morning some are just staying bedded until it melts off.
    I think that for where we hunt mid shore, if it starts to frost early afternoon which it hasn't all year, mornings could be good if you have a spot back in the woods near a cut over or some edge with bedding.
    Especially if its been windy the night before.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As warm as its been, what I used to consider an afternoon used to start around 2:00 pm.
    Now its really late morning or mid-day till dark it seems.
    I think with the unusually warm days, and with the heavy frost in the morning some are just staying bedded until it melts off.
    I think that for where we hunt mid shore, if it starts to frost early afternoon which it hasn't all year, mornings could be good if you have a spot back in the woods near a cut over or some edge with bedding.
    Especially if its been windy the night before.
    Gotta be the frost. With the warmer days, the deer are more prone to taking in protein as opposed to carbohydrates and nobody likes eating frozen salad.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I've found that colder temps and low wind are the best. That was the mix on wed when I got my buck. Everything perfect other than my eyesight at twilight. Speaking of twilight, I was in the zone with such a perfect shot placement lol. The matrix glitched just for a second lol.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace

View attachment 301429

View attachment 301431

View attachment 301432

That's nice! I love those tree trunk bases.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Put down 2 more tonight (crop damage)

Big one going to a shelter in the city
    Small one going to be cut up for me/wife

6 for the season. Looking to hit 10 before my wife gives birth in a month

Attachments

• BC45C395-230A-42B6-8C2B-D10A5167F4BC.jpeg
      BC45C395-230A-42B6-8C2B-D10A5167F4BC.jpeg
      41.5 KB · Views: 244

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Now begins my second favorite deer season(bow being my favorite), late muzzle loader season. This is when most of those nice bucks you watched all summer long and disappeared in September start filtering back 'home'. The ones that made it this far, anyway. Unseasonably cold days as well as unseasonably warm days can both be very productive.

It ain't over yet!

You guys are going to be getting blizzard conditions from what I saw on the Weather channel today.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You guys are going to be getting blizzard conditions from what I saw on the Weather channel today.
    I guess it will really depends on where you live in Md(as usual).
    Nothing more I love than deer hunting with snow on the ground. Unfortunately, this is the 'bye' week. The week between late ML and firearms season, so bow season will have to rule the day. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom