• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    No matter how they rule, a bunch of people will be happy, a bunch of people will be mad, and a bunch of people will continue to live their lives completely ignorant of anything not involving them. It doesn’t say WHAT those groups will be glad/mad.

What about the group who won't be ignorant of their decision but just won't comply with it if it's not what they want to hear???

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    So 2 more weeks I assume :lol2:

HighlevelEnviousBrownbear-size_restricted.gif

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Does anyone have any insight on how the RSS feed for SCOTUS dockets are updated? I've been getting hits in my RSS feed like crazy from the Bruen docket the last few weeks despite no obvious changes to what's publicly viewable online.

My hopes and dreams hat wants to believe it is reflective of activity on writing the opinion itself, but I have no proof.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Does anyone have any insight on how the RSS feed for SCOTUS dockets are updated? I've been getting hits in my RSS feed like crazy from the Bruen docket the last few weeks despite no obvious changes to what's publicly viewable online.

My hopes and dreams hat wants to believe it is reflective of activity on writing the opinion itself, but I have no proof.

huh?

like what kind of hits?

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021

huh?

like what kind of hits?

There have not been any changes on the docket. https://www.supremecourt.gov/docket/docketfiles/html/public/20-843.html

The only thing I can think of is that the parties names/addresses/counsel of record changed.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It’s multiple times a day lately. I have a RSS reader in my browser and a flag goes up every time there’s an “update.”

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    They have a big docket this year. 8 major cases. Dobbs, OSHA, EPA, NY Guns, a couple of religion cases.

There is 1 Oct case left, and 3 Nov cases left. They are behind pace issuing opinions this year. Odds favor NY Guns coming out in soon so they can clear their plate for Dobbs, EPA,...

Keep in mind, Heller and McDonald were both argued in March and issued in June. There is no barrier to issuing an opinion in 3 months.

I was very surprised how long it took Kavanaugh to write his opinion from Oct. The opinion was extremely short yet took forever. Why did it take so long? In the back of my mind I am thinking he is writing some other big lengthy opinion. Could be NY Guns.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I was very surprised how long it took Kavanaugh to write his opinion from Oct. The opinion was extremely short yet took forever. Why did it take so long? In the back of my mind I am thinking he is writing some other big lengthy opinion. Could be NY Guns.
    Or, being a junior associate Justice, maybe he just didn't want to eff it up - he needed to be vigilant and make sure it was on solid footing and would stand up to scrutiny, not only now, but for the future as well.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    They have a big docket this year. 8 major cases. Dobbs, OSHA, EPA, NY Guns, a couple of religion cases.

There is 1 Oct case left, and 3 Nov cases left. They are behind pace issuing opinions this year. Odds favor NY Guns coming out in soon so they can clear their plate for Dobbs, EPA,...

Keep in mind, Heller and McDonald were both argued in March and issued in June. There is no barrier to issuing an opinion in 3 months.

Calculating odds is not very accurate because each case depends on factors only applicable to that particular case.

While the average time between oral argument and opinion issuance last term was about 104 days, the standard deviation was about 56 days. Four of the cases took about 220 days to resolve.

It has been 155 days so even speaking of odds, 25% of their cases took longer than 155 days to resolve last year.

The length of the opinion is not what drives the timeframe. There are myriad factors that affect the time it takes to deliver an opinion.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Or, being a junior associate Justice, maybe he just didn't want to eff it up - he needed to be vigilant and make sure it was on solid footing and would stand up to scrutiny, not only now, but for the future as well.

Barrett and Gorsuch write much faster, so I doubt it. Gorsuch has already written his 2 from November. Also, Kavanaugh was on the DC Circuit. I think he knows how to do it.

Two possibilities in my mind, he has a big opinion in the wings (a lot of people predict he is writing NY Guns. I am coming around to that idea) or he is responsible for one or both of the Per Curiam opinions. PC opinions are not signed, but someone has to write them.

Calculating odds is not very accurate because each case depends on factors only applicable to that particular case.

While the average time between oral argument and opinion issuance last term was about 104 days, the standard deviation was about 56 days. Four of the cases took about 220 days to resolve.

It has been 155 days so even speaking of odds, 25% of their cases took longer than 155 days to resolve last year.

The length of the opinion is not what drives the timeframe. There are myriad factors that affect the time it takes to deliver an opinion.

It was funnier when Han Solo said it.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    You have been waiting along time haven't you?
    When they pummel the sense of humor out of you in 1L and turn you into a mindless automaton, does it hurt?

I also said this (three times I think)

If Thomas wrote it, it would be one line ("Shall not be infringed mother****er") and already published.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom